Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

1968 JS. Photo credit: TR Crandall.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1968 JS. Photo credit: TR Crandall.

I’ve played that 68 at Crandall. Great guitar. If it were blonde I’d have bought it on the spot. I’m not crazy about the contrast and tone of the burst.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 04-16-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Dealer just sent photos of the label and pots, confirming that it is a 1970s.

Definitely glad I posted here before it shipped. Thanks everyone especially wintermoon for flagging!

I’m sure it’s still an awesome guitar and if you’re in Portland I hope you go check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post

Definitely glad I posted here before it shipped. Thanks everyone especially wintermoon for flagging!

I’m sure it’s still an awesome guitar and if you’re in Portland I hope you go check it out.
    My pleasure but I just happened to be the one that pm'd, guys like SS, customxke, Chuck and others on the forum know their stuff and then some. Great resource!

User Info Menu

I read once (Tom Wheeler: "American Guitars?) Gibson sets aside the finest spruce for the Super 400 & Johnny Smith models!
    Looks like this one is no exception! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Omph, NOW we are talking! Thats a beautiful guitar.
    1st off, you are right, its not the end of the world if its a 70's. My 70's Johnny Smith is the guitar of a lifetime for me.
    Yours looks like it had the pickguard replaced before it did any damage to the Gold Hardware.
    It shines like new.
    Your binding on the rims look to be either totally discolored, unscraped or, Sprayed over. The binding on the top is not discolored or scraped. Thats a little odd.
    FWIW, the angle bracket that holds the pickguard onto the body will have a matching serial number on the underside as well, if its original.
    WM is dead on, that Truss cover looks like mine and my GJS is a 1976.
    64's had the pickup with no poles and it was flipped upside down (poles toward the bridge), but 68's had screw in poles and the poles were positioned toward the neck.
    Omph, if there is any way I can help by comparing anything on my Guitar, just let me know.
    Otherwise, that is a BEAUTUFUL guitar.
    I know this sounds crazy, but IF the tuners are stiff, slipping or just plain garbage, The new Kluson Sealfasts are EXCELLENT replacements. And they have them in stock.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tramline View Post
    Damn I saw this on their IG and was planning to go by this shop this week and give it a spin; the good stuff doesn't last long at Strum! Beautiful.
    now that omph passed here's your chance

User Info Menu

Oh my! Not sure, but I think it's unconstitutional that I don't own that guitar. Sorry, but you're going to have to give it up.....to me!

User Info Menu

Very beautiful indeed

many congratulations

User Info Menu

What are they asking for this I cannot find the store or website?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Moon is the man!
    Omph, All is not lost. What is fair is fair. Maybe the seller unknowingly priced the guitar based on it being a 60's guitar and now that he knows otherwise, perhaps his new price might be attractive enough. Trust me, There is something very different about a Gibson Johnny Smith. All those little tricks that Ted McCarty and Johnny came up with so many years ago have stood the test of time. I think the Johnny Smith Guitar is the ideal guitar for what we play. Might not want to give up in this one. Its friggin beautiful.
    Best of luck to you.
    JD

User Info Menu

That is a nice guitar but that said it would be interesting to compare to an acoustic L5 guitar from the same approx time period. Mostly I find the L5c's acoustically outperform the JS. But like always have come across a few with quite rich sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    That is a nice guitar but that said it would be interesting to compare to an acoustic L5 guitar from the same approx time period. Mostly I find the L5c's acoustically outperform the JS. But like always have come across a few with quite rich sound.
    My experience is also that the L-5C is superior as an acoustic instrument to the JS. But they are different sounding. With the shorter scale, slimmer body, X bracing, full contact neck and floating pickup, the JS gets a sound of it's own that when plugged in, is one of the best jazz guitar sounds ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    My experience is also that the L-5C is superior as an acoustic instrument to the JS. But they are different sounding. With the shorter scale, slimmer body, X bracing, full contact neck and floating pickup, the JS gets a sound of it's own that when plugged in, is one of the best jazz guitar sounds ever.
    This ^^^

User Info Menu

I owned 3 Johnny Smiths over the years. I still have one even though I don't play 6 strings any more, it's too good to let go.
    My experience over many years is they did vary a LOT over the years, and even top thicknesses varied. That translates to some that are really not exceptional compared with some L-5's and some which hold their own favouribly even compared with some D'Angelicos.
    Builder (no consistency among Gibson builders), vintage and yes, how much it was played in its life, all have a profound effect on its value as a collector's item and/or a player's guitar.
    Very cool guitars. I've played some that I was happy not to be tempted by, and others that made me sad it wasn't mine.
    JS more than other Gibsons had a wide spectrum. Play it if you can. Play it in by playing it a lot and yes, it may surprise you how even an older instrument can become perfect for you.

User Info Menu

I don’t know, call me dumb but a brand new Cameo is $500.00 cheaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I have a ‘69 Johnny Smith and a ‘63 L5C with a factory original Johnny Smith pickup. I have posted photos and my thoughts about the two guitars here before, but it may be worth repeating in this thread. Acoustically, my Johnny Smith sounds every bit as good as my L5C. The JS is warm and fat in the mid range while the L5C is quite a bit brighter. I actually prefer the acoustic sound of my JS.
    Keith
    Incoming 1968 Gibson Johnny Smith-img_2123-jpeg

User Info Menu

On hold again but they never changed the year of manufacture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup View Post
    I have a ‘69 Johnny Smith and a ‘63 L5C with a factory original Johnny Smith pickup. I have posted photos and my thoughts about the two guitars here before, but it may be worth repeating in this thread. Acoustically, my Johnny Smith sounds every bit as good as my L5C. The JS is warm and fat in the mid range while the L5C is quite a bit brighter. I actually prefer the acoustic sound of my JS.
    Keith
    Incoming 1968 Gibson Johnny Smith-img_2123-jpeg

Keith, the warmer sound might be due to the Smith's x bracing as opposed to the parallel of the L-5.
    Couple beautiful examples that's for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Keith, the warmer sound might be due to the Smith's x bracing as opposed to the parallel of the L-5.
    Couple beautiful examples that's for sure!
    Wintermoon:
    I agree with you. My guess is that the X-bracing is a significant factor in the difference in sound, when compared to the L5C. I wouldn’t think that the slightly shorter and shallower body of a JS would make as much difference to the tone as the bracing would.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I don’t know, call me dumb but a brand new Cameo is $500.00 cheaper.
    Absolutely correct.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

That guitar is simply lovely!

As much as I’m sad this deal didn’t work out, I can remind myself that it’s not the end of the world. I’ve still got my economy version of the Johnny smith, which I don’t think I’ll ever give up.

Incoming 1968 Gibson Johnny Smith-img_0906-jpg