The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

I’ve wanted one of these for a while. Specifically a pre Norlin Era Blonde one. They are very rare and the only few times I saw them come up in the past few years they were either overpriced or in poor condition or both.

Well, a shop in Portland that I’ve dealt with a few times got one in stock over the weekend and I made a move. It should be here in a few days.

Incoming 1968 Gibson Johnny Smith-img_0900-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Oooh! That’s one blond who’s aged very gracefully. Enjoy your prize!

User Info Menu

Ooohhh! Very nice score, man! My old jazz guitar teacher from college and for a several years afterwards had a early 1940s L-7, which he replaced with a mid 60s GJS, also blonde. That guitar established my mental image of what a "jazz" guitar is supposed to be. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Damn I saw this on their IG and was planning to go by this shop this week and give it a spin; the good stuff doesn't last long at Strum! Beautiful.

User Info Menu

Another beauty Juan!

Well im glad I posted this. Another member called out that it might be 70s. Gonna try to get an accurate dating from strum before they ship. I’ll be first to admit that I don’t know squat about this era of Gibson.

User Info Menu

Glorious! Play it like crazy and enjoy every note!

User Info Menu

What details from the pictures would indicate that it may be from the 70's? I know that Gibson serial numbers are not 100 percent accurate. A lot of 60's serial numbers got reused in the 70's. The label and case are important clues as is a "Made in the USA" stamp on the headstock.

If there are doubts, get the pot code. While that is not 100 percent (pots get replaced), it may be the best way to date this guitar.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

PS Wintermoon is the cat that I would ask my questions regarding dating this guitar. I bet he knows more about it than the dealer will.

User Info Menu

Awesome Juan ! A early Congrats

User Info Menu

These were my biggest fantasy. Congrats. It's a keeper for sure. I hope you serve each other well until you stop playing music... then sell it to me heh heh.

Wmoon is the one that tipped me off. Truss rod cover in 60s was bold rim “custom”. Hopefully it was just an incorrect part and not an incorrectly dated ax. Stay tuned.

I’ve got a busy morning and don’t have time to research. Anyone have a second to research this serial number?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I’ve got a busy morning and don’t have time to research. Anyone have a second to research this serial number?

That # is correct for '68 but it's also correct for '73-'75 and that era will have the made in USA stamp and purple label.
    SS's points are spot on, though earlier pots can be found on later guitars.

User Info Menu

Look at the center of the "open book" on the headstock. I doubt that guitar is from the 60s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke View Post
    Look at the center of the "open book" on the headstock. I doubt that guitar is from the 60s.
    Yeah, I mentioned that to omph, everything about the headstock including the overlay/logo inlay says 70s to me.
    But the dealer didn't post a shot of the back of it to show if its stamped miusa. The quarter sawn maple on the back looks 70s as well.

User Info Menu

Its being from 1973-1975 and not 1968, how would that materially affect the price? Nice caramelised Antique Blonde with a shiny tailpiece and the large headstock. It looks splendid.

User Info Menu

ps when the calendar hit Jan 1 1970 it doesn't mean Gibson started making lemons, it could very well be a superb guitar. Member Floatingpickup loves his 70s L-5 for example. But it's important to know when plunking down 10+ large on an instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Its being from 1973-1975 and not 1968, how would that materially affect the price? Nice caramelised Antique Blonde with a shiny tailpiece and the large headstock. It looks splendid.
    Probably around a couple grand or so, maybe a bit more.

User Info Menu

1968 JS headstock. Photo credit: Emerald City Guitars.

Wmoon is on point. Not the end of the world if it’s 70s but it’s less valuable and I would have overpaid by quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Wmoon is on point. Not the end of the world if it’s 70s but it’s less valuable and I would have overpaid by quite a bit.
    Maybe, but a blonde JS is relatively rare even in the 70s. I doubt you'll find one for less than say 9k from a dealer these days.

User Info Menu

Nothing gets past Wintermoon Won't be fooled again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post

1968 JS headstock. Photo credit: Emerald City Guitars.
    Yessir, after I saw the truss rod cover the first thing I noticed was the mustache/open book headstock shape customxke pointed out.