The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

After playing only acoustic guitar for the past 9 years, a week ago I purchased an Epiphone Broadway to kick off my plunge into learning jazz guitar. I'm now seeking an amp to play through, both at home and at modest sized gigs at senior centers, porchfests, coffeehouses etc.

I've researched and found the Henriksens and AER amps, but they are a bit more than I was hoping to spend, well north of $1000. The DV Mark Little Jazz appears to only be available currently in Europe, there are a few of the Jazz 12's available, but although the price is much more in my range, at 21 lbs. they are just a bit heavy for me, though given the price and reviews, I'm thinking of going that route.

What brands/models am I missing that might be a bit smaller/lighter than the Jazz 12 but below the pricing of the Henriksens and AER's? Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of people here use a Quilter Superblock (US or UK) with a "Toob" speaker - portable, sounds great, and within your budget!

User Info Menu

Worth considering:
    Quilter Aviator Cub, about US$700
    Katana 50 mk II 1x12, about US$230
    Katana 100 mk II 1x12, about US$380

User Info Menu

Fender Champion 20 (similar size, but different shape, and same weight as a DV LJ) or Champion 40 (same size as a DV 12, but a little lighter). Both are cheaper, too. I have the 20, which has proven plenty loud for small gigs.

Quilter Aviator Cub is the same/size and weight as the DV 12, and IMO better (or at least more versatile), but more expensive. FWIW, I got one used for under $500.
    Last edited by John A.; 04-16-2024 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

These don't appear to be very popular in the jazz community but if you wanted something a bit more 'generic', I suggest check out the Fender Tone Master Princeton® Reverb. These should be widely available in shops to at least try them out.
    Apart from AER, also have a look at the Udo Roesner Da Capo.
    I think pretty much any small (and light) amp with a decent clean sound will do.
    I still use a Roland Cube 30X for pretty much anything, the clean (Roland Chorus) channel is perfect for jazz, with a bit of reverb. Cheap and immensely practical....

User Info Menu

I can hear the horrified gasps and see the rolling eyes from here…
    The Blackstar Debut 50R ($250) has a REALLY nice clean channel.
    I picked one up as a practice amp to keep the hours down on my most loved Princeton Reverb and am really impressed.
    What I wasn’t expecting is that it gives my hollow body, semi hollow and solid body each their own voice much better than the Princeton. The Princeton has a strong personality.
    And it only weighs 20lbs.
    Very nice amp.
    I can’t talk about the overdrive channel, I only play clean.

User Info Menu

As mentioned above, the Boss Katana is a really nice amp for a nice price - I gigged with one for several years. Anything that Quilter makes is very good - I have a 101R 50 watt head that I use with various cabinets and it's fine. You might find a used Evans RE200 well within your budget - 200watts/27 pounds, built like a tank and hand made in North Carolina, USA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shekie View Post
    After playing only acoustic guitar for the past 9 years, a week ago I purchased an Epiphone Broadway to kick off my plunge into learning jazz guitar.

You could get a small 2 wheeled hand cart and the amp would be more than easy to handle.

User Info Menu

You could get a small 2 wheeled hand cart and the amp would be more than easy to handle.

User Info Menu

Used Henriksen Bud or Blu Six might fit the bill?

User Info Menu

If your needs are for practicing at home, stay with something small and inexpensive. As already mentioned, the Katana 50 is a good all around amp and all Guitar Centers stock them so you can try one first.

Thank you all for your recommendations, lots to consider. Just a clarification regarding use, it will be a combination of practice at home, but also in a jazz ensemble at a music school on a weekly basis (including alongside a percussionist, but no drums), a trio I'm part of consisting of two guitarists and female vocalist, mostly performing at senior centers, so variety of spaces to play in, usually for 25-50 residents, occasional outdoors porchfest, very occasional restaurant as background.

User Info Menu

If you like the Jazz 12 you might consider just dealing with the 21 lbs.

Here's why I say this.

I've had the DV Mark Little Jazz for several years now and have played many small gigs and some not so small with it. I like the way it sounds for melody and it seemed okay for chords. I tried the next bigger one (was that the Jazz 12?) but I didn't think it was enough of an improvement to justify the increase in size. It was louder than the LJ, but not by much, and the bass response wasn't that much better, if at all.

Eventually, I decided I wanted to get a little cleaner sound for chords and I started bringing some more powerful amps to the same gigs. At that point, I started getting compliments on my sound. Apparently, the other musicians weren't crazy about the LJ but hadn't been willing to say anything, or so I'm guessing.

I still use the LJ for rehearsals to minimize the number of times I have to carry a heavier amp in and out. But, I can no longer recommend it for gigs, unless, perhaps, they are truly quiet.

A lot of players recommend the Bud and Blu. I've never used either in a gig situation, so I can't speak to that. Others speak well of them, even for gigs. Reportedly, they can get loud.

I'm currently using a JC55 which weighs about 26 lbs. I don't enjoy moving it, but I like how it sounds.

I've played through others' Katana (not sure which), Roland 40X, AER Compact 60 and could get them all to sound good. Several friends play Quilters, which sound pretty bright to me, but the reviews are good.

Anyway, the point is that if you can get your sound at 21 lbs, be careful that you don't sacrifice too much by going lighter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shekie View Post
    Thank you all for your recommendations, lots to consider. Just a clarification regarding use, it will be a combination of practice at home, but also in a jazz ensemble at a music school on a weekly basis (including alongside a percussionist, but no drums), a trio I'm part of consisting of two guitarists and female vocalist, mostly performing at senior centers, so variety of spaces to play in, usually for 25-50 residents, occasional outdoors porchfest, very occasional restaurant as background.
    To quote a Finnish saying, I have my own cow in the ditch. Couldn't resist chiming in, however, because your playing situations sound exactly like what I've been doing for the past three years in an old boys' swing band, using the Quilter SuperBlock US/TOOB Metro 6.5GP combination. Senior homes, pensioners' clubs & the like. I'm 77 so TOOBs and Metros won't be available forever. Please send me a PM if interested.

Well, after stating in my original post that the DV Mark Little Jazz is currently only available in Europe, I found one used down in Kentucky, owned by a fellow by the name of Gayle Moseley, now deceased, who in 2011 was inducted into the National Thumb Pickers Hall of Fame and was friends with Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed.

His estate through a music shop in Hopkinsville, KY is selling off his gear, and they had a very attractively priced Little Jazz as part of Mr. Moseley's equipment. So.....not only was I able to purchase the product I was originally interested in, but I now have a "cool" story to go with the amp. I suspect at some point if this obsession doesn't subside, there will be a larger version in my future....