The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

In the first clip, to my ears, Hubbard is playing a sustained Bb there, not a B natural (which would be b5, a very different animal). In the second, he's not hanging onto E natural anywhere, though it is probably contained within the barrage of notes he's throwing at you.

Yeah sorry about the "thread drift", it wasn't my intention.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I have to commend Jack for making the effort to create these videos, with notation /tab on the screen.
    It seems like lots of work, and they are very professionally done.

And I really like the sound of the Ibanez GB10 that Mr. Zucker plays in his other recent video. I like it more than the Gibsons he has demonstrated.

User Info Menu

Jaz I think the Yammy sounds good. They are great guitars for the price and I enjoyed you channeling your inner Gabor.
    The L4 has the more standard tone you would expect from an archtop; fatter notes with less sustain.

I still feel the same way about L4CES’s as I always have. They sound a little too dark and flat BUT can sound great if everything is eq’d right. I think Severson gets the most out of the L4 because he plays lightly. Your style has more dynamics and I think the L4 can't hang as well.

All things considered though and I say this as someone who’s never really been a fan, the GB10 sits nicely between the L4/175 - SA2200 divide and is still the nicest sounding with your advanced Bebop style (imo).

Regarding the Maj 7, in classical (as you know) they call that a 'leading note’. Perhaps that’s why it sits well over 7th harmony? I like it, you pulled it off well.

Thanks archie, well said and the gb is also the easiest and most fun to play of my archtops

User Info Menu

Hello. I thought the Yamaha sounded the best. I base this on the smaller sample of slower playing in the beginning. As with any amplified guitar, the faster the lines are played they lose a lot of their personality. For warm, woody tone, the Yamaha sounded much nicer.

User Info Menu

I like the Yamaha. I'd really like to hear it with the TI 12's. I suspect it might really shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I like the Yamaha. I'd really like to hear it with the TI 12's. I suspect it might really shine.
    I put JS112 strings on an Ibanez AS200 once. It sounded great for jazz but I think it took the instrument outside it's design parameters. One thing I like about roundwound .010s on the yamaha is that it allows me out of the jazz box some and I play it differently which can be nice. It also sounds great for rock and blues and I'd hate to lose that. I used to think a true-blue gibson 335 was a superior guitar but i'm not so sure anymore. I think the workmanship and materials are clearly superior on the yamaha. It's a tad brighter than the gibson. It's birch ply instead of maple and it does have the ebony board. Not sure if that's the diff or if the pickups are brighter.

I thought my 339 had a slightly better fusion/blues tone - a bit more classic but since I switched to the fractal, I don't really have any complaints about the yamaha's tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    I put JS112 strings on an Ibanez AS200 once. It sounded great for jazz but I think it took the instrument outside it's design parameters. One thing I like about roundwound .010s on the yamaha is that it allows me out of the jazz box some and I play it differently which can be nice. It also sounds great for rock and blues and I'd hate to lose that. I used to think a true-blue gibson 335 was a superior guitar but i'm not so sure anymore. I think the workmanship and materials are clearly superior on the yamaha. It's a tad brighter than the gibson. It's birch ply instead of maple and it does have the ebony board. Not sure if that's the diff or if the pickups are brighter.

I thought my 339 had a slightly better fusion/blues tone - a bit more classic but since I switched to the fractal, I don't really have any complaints about the yamaha's tone.
    I've seen that Yamaha used by sidemen in a couple of really big name shows. Clearly it's held in very high esteem by some really serious players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I've seen that Yamaha used by sidemen in a couple of really big name shows. Clearly it's held in very high esteem by some really serious players.
    I actually sold the SA2200 a while back because i felt that it was too bright. This was when I was using the Helix Stomp. When I got my fractal FM3, i discovered that a couple of my "bright" axes that were unusable because really beautiful sounding. So coincidentally, the guy I sold the SA2200 to contacted me asking if I wanted it back. Glad I took him up on the offer.

Now, I wonder about the Eastman 339 copy I sold, the T484 which also was "too bright". I bet it sounds great through the fractal too...