The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by McGregor View Post
    Paulie, thanks for the insight, did you note a difference in tone and depth tween the two?
    the WesMo 2002 I had a chance to noodle on had that sound- What amp are you playing your Benedetto through? Something you can dial in on or is it in the instrument?

You are right size matters!
    Massive difference in sound between the two to my ears, mainly the difference in laminate and carved. I have used the Bravo and L5 through all different amps, my Carr, DV Mark little jazz, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, etc. Gibson had the "Gibson" carved sound. The Benedetto Bravo had a more "modern" sound. Neither is better to me, just different.

Here are a couple clips of the Benedetto through the DV Mark Little Jazz. It is pretty representative of the tone of that guitar to me through most amps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Zig, looking forward to your insight.. all the response is very cathartic in the process and great feedback!
    Sorry I took so long. Crazy week. Anyway, I purchased an Autumnburst Bravo Deluxe from Bob's Boutique in the Spring of 2019. Flawlessly constructed, effortless to play and beautiful to look at. The Bravo with the B6 pickup sounded fantastic when the guitar was plugged in. The guitar sounded fairly decent unplugged, but I didn't expect more than that as it is a laminate top. Other pros of the guitar were the body depth and size. Very comfortable guitar to sit with, stand with as well as relax at night on the sofa and noodle while watching TV. The light weight was nice as well. I don't have this any more and you'll understand why.

In January of 2022 after a few years of thinking about it, I took the 7 string plunge. Sold some firewood and got an Eastman 7, which I could not put down. After almost a full year of playing that, the larger neck size was starting to give me hand problems, but I was able to score a Palen carved top 7 with a beautiful neck of the size that's right for me. My six string jazz guitars (not my R&R sixers), including a nice GB10 and the Bravo Deluxe, weren't getting the love.

So I made two decisions: 1. I'd sell the Bravo Deluxe and get myself a second 7 string. 2. I'd sell the GB10 and a couple of other pieces of firewood I had and try to get an L5 - well because it's an L5 and so I'd still have one 6 string jazz guitar to play. I also love the sound of 57 classics.

After a few months of trying to find a quality used 7 string that was under 10K, wasn't a project guitar and had a neck that would fit me, I ordered a Benedetto Bravo 7 in opulent brown. Benedetto worked with me for no extra charge and carved the neck to a spec I wanted. The sale of the Bravo Deluxe funded most of the purchase. The new Bravo 7 arrived recently, and I must say it is the most immaculately finished guitar I've ever owned. It actually sounds a little better unplugged than my memory of the Bravo Deluxe. I'd buy a Benedetto again in a heartbeat. I'll post a NGD post when I get a chance.

The L-5: I found a beautiful 2003 L-5. Cost much more than the Benedetto and my guitar sales didn't quite fund the purchase. This was one of those YOLO purchases. The L-5 with the 57 classics has, in my mind just about the prettiest jazz guitar sound through an amp. I may be biased on that because my high school band director played that instrument and I was always smitten by his playing and sound. This L-5 doesn't disappoint. Unplugged it sounds very nice as well, which I am a little surprised about with the set in pickups. My Palen 7 which is in many ways similar to the L-5, does sound a little better unplugged as it has a floating pickup. The burst on the L-5 is beautiful, but like many other Gibson's I've owned, including the Johnny A which I still have, the finish is just a few notches below where it should be. Not bad, but not close to perfect. The neck is comfortable to play, but the body is a large and deep body, so it's not quite as comfy as the Benedetto Bravo. The 57 classic pickups are prone to rattle a bit and the L-5 pickup selectors are really kind of cheesy for such a nice instrument, Ibanez really got the selector right on the GB10.

So why is my final assessment and advice? Of course it's best to play an example of both, but that doesn't really seem to be possible most of the time these days. I really can't tell you. I've become such a sucker for the 7 string, that if one has to go, it is going to be the Gibson. The Benedetto B6 and B7 pickups sound absolutely fantastic, but I suppose my dream 7 string would have a 57 classic made for a 7 string. I know that the Gibson will hold its value if and when I sell it, but I didn't too to badly on the Benedetto at all when I sold it. I don't buy guitars for the investment, I buy them to play them and chase that sound I have in my head. Obviously not wise financially.
    Last edited by Zigracer; 04-24-2024 at 10:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you Zig for taking the time to express your thoughts and insight. As a new member, this is a special place.
    Music is an art form, in all facets of a vast spectrum of talented people, very subjective, unique and expressive.
    Opening up with the forum, on the decision in purchasing my first “Jazz Box” is an experience.
    There seems to be endless options that have risen in the discussion. By no means confusing, just stuff I hadn’t thought of in the process.
    I’m now more aware of why most of you have at least 3-4 guitars.
    Im thinking about a Go-Fund-Me
    to help offset the cost of my addiction.
    I have the Benedetto on order with a down payment in play, most likely would loss it…
    and my the blonde WesMo is very much on the table…
    Gotta work on the budget..

All comments, thoughts and insight welcome..

thank you!!!

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any insight on this WesMo?
    The price is very reasonable…
    Hutchins has some validity…
    Any thoughts…
    Attached Images Attached Images Benedetto Bravo Deluxe or Gibson WesMo Crimson-img_1222-png 

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any insight on this WesMo?
    The price is very reasonable…
    Hutchins has some validity…
    Any thoughts…
    I am an atheist but sweet baby jaysus...Very reasonable? Wine Red?? In that condition???

User Info Menu

Not sure if it the mindset of those that have a strong opinion,
    Does color play into the perception
    of value…?? it seems that the standard “Authentic” color is the Autumn Burst (?) followed by Natural/Blonde…
    The Wine is very attractive, I guess it’s subjective..
    Thanks Jab, I was reading a past blog on Gibson’s Crimson designation, your insight is refreshing and very helpful.
    thx!!

User Info Menu

I too looked at that guitar but really too much for a Wine Red. I see just now it is on hold. I would not pay this for a wine red but possibly a Sunburst. I don't see the color itself having any effect on the playing. Assuming all equal the color is just a price factor. I will say I would never own a black guitar hate them. I believe a Sunburst has about a $400-500 premium and a blond could go to around $750 more. Realize this is just my take. Right now these guitars are holding premium price. I have other options at the $7000-$8500 price range that would be to me as good. They would not be a Wes L5 as such but for me equal without spending the extra cash.

User Info Menu

I agree with the deacon above. That price feels steep for a wine red but again, color doesn’t impact tone or playability and it’s subjective. “Market value” is ultimately an imaginary average of individuals preferences. If you like wine red and have the cash go for it. I’d personally hold out or get a blonde one from gryphon or another shop.

User Info Menu

Wine "Rustoleum" Red and Ebony are the cheap Gibson finishes. No impact on tone or playability. But they are the lowest cost finish and hence you should not pay too much for them. Natural costs the most because Gibson uses the best and most highly figured wood for Natural. The condition of that 2002 WR is the other issue.