The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Blue Bossa 2013 vs 1989 Gibson 175, which one is better?

Sadly, the 1989 Gibson 175 had several cracks (including the headstock) and has to be returned but I wanted to post this comparison video so you could hear the 2013 vs the 1989 Gibson 175.

To me, the 1989 has a softer attack and a little more acoustic tone whereas the 1989 has a more powerful and electric tone. Kind of hard to be totally objective because they both sound very good. I think the 1989 sounds better.

What say you? Please comment below.

#sheetsofsound #halfdiminished #min7b5
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonArchtops #Gibson175 #altereddominant
    #halfdiminished

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it, Jack. Do these people just not notice these things or are they trying to mislead buyers hoping the problems won't be noticed. Seems you've had a few mishaps along these lines.

User Info Menu

That's some very tasty playing !

User Info Menu

Hmmm... I would have to hear the natural finish one with the pickup magnets on the high e and b maxed out, or with the bass side moved further from the strings. As is, the string to string balance is off (IOW, the high notes are too quiet). So... the other one.

But if corrected, it would need a second listen.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
    Hmmm... I would have to hear the natural finish one with the pickup magnets on the high e and b maxed out, or with the bass side moved further from the strings. As is, the string to string balance is off (IOW, the high notes are too quiet). So... the other one.

But if corrected, it would need a second listen.
    Sadly not going to happen because the guitar is being returned....

User Info Menu

Okay I could be really wrong here... but the 89 has more of what I call the "Pat Metheny ES175" sort of tone. I can't even define it, but I know it when I hear it. I love them both, but the 89 reminds me of just last week when I was at Pat Metheny's "Dreambox" concert and his electric set re-imprinted that distinctive tone on my brain. It's kind of a modernized Jim Hall sound? Tone rolled off some I suppose, but also kind of compressed, short decay? I'm not good at describing these things, but I listened with my eyes closed and as soon as you switched to the 89 I thought "Pat Metheny Tone!"

User Info Menu

Purely as a matter of taste, I preferred the 2013 tone. The '89 is dead and muffled sounding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Okay I could be really wrong here... but the 89 has more of what I call the "Pat Metheny ES175" sort of tone. I can't even define it, but I know it when I hear it. I love them both, but the 89 reminds me of just last week when I was at Pat Metheny's "Dreambox" concert and his electric set re-imprinted that distinctive tone on my brain. It's kind of a modernized Jim Hall sound? Tone rolled off some I suppose, but also kind of compressed, short decay? I'm not good at describing these things, but I listened with my eyes closed and as soon as you switched to the 89 I thought "Pat Metheny Tone!"
    I kind of hear it the other way i guess. I ended up sending the blonde one back because it had a crack at the headstock in the neck that my luthier said was well into the wood. I preferred the blonde one while I had it but upon listening back to the clip objectively, I like the qualities of the 2013 one too. So as long as I get the full refund, i'll be happy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    I kind of hear it the other way i guess. I ended up sending the blonde one back because it had a crack at the headstock in the neck that my luthier said was well into the wood. I preferred the blonde one while I had it but upon listening back to the clip objectively, I like the qualities of the 2013 one too. So as long as I get the full refund, i'll be happy
    You're also hearing them in the room and experiencing how they feel to play, which of course we don't get. At least for me, that would affect my impression.

User Info Menu

I think I prefer the newer one as well, but it might just be that you are used to playing it?

But I must say, if I had a 175 that sounded like that, I wouldn't be looking for another!

Except, blonde of course!