The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I've played 16" hollow bodies for years and it's been fine. Never had a comfort issue. But GAS has kicked in and so I've been exploring. Now I see some 15" bodies in archtops and get curious. None in my area to try out however.

What are the pros and cons?

I also play a Telecaster so I've covered the whole size gamut. But of course, that's a plank guitar. Just wondering if a 15" archtop is a useful diversion or if I should just stick with 16" since it seems that size has been "standard" for a long time and there must be a reason for that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve had all sizes of archtops and, in my opinion, if you’re using it as an electric guitar it doesn’t really matter much.
    There are many other variables that influence the sound more. I know some will disagree!

Now if you’re primarily using the guitar acoustically, size definitely matters……Except when it doesn’t.
    The finest sounding acoustic archtop I’ve owned is my 15” Rancourt. Traditional looking but uses some very different woods and construction methods.
    Last edited by Gilpy; 04-12-2024 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

[The difference, of course, is 1/2" on both sides, so ...] If you're interested in "comfort," some people prefer smaller bodies (even 14" archtops!); and as @Gilpy stated, plugged in, you're probably not going to notice much sonic difference [although, yes, there are people here who will notice].

A "useful" diversion? No, but like anything, if you want it and can afford it, go for it.

User Info Menu

Are you playing it acoustically or mostly plugged in? Depth also matters, as well as solid carved vs. laminate
    I love the idea of a 14” or 15” carved Archtop. But I don’t think it will be much better than my 14” laminate Benedetto Bambino to be honest.

I think 17” is probably best overall as a carved Archtop guitar. Think Gibson Johnny Smith or any of the other bespoke luthiers offerings like Buscarino,Comins,Elferink,etc.

User Info Menu

I am 5'7", long legs and short trunk. I really like the feel of 15" guitars, I have two. Eastman carved, and Sadowsky lam.

15" v. 16" archtop-15-inch-jpg

User Info Menu

I think everyone will agree that there's a very big difference between a 15" and a 16". For myself, I don't feel nearly as much difference between a 16" and a 17". There's something about the response, balance and voice of a 15 that is quite unique.
    Because of this, and how markedly different that difference is to people of differing body types, I'd encourage you to try it out yourself if at all possible. Like some people find it surprisingly comfortable and some people think it feels small. Some feel an increased responsiveness in a 15, others can't really feel it. I use my fingers to pick and I feel an enormous difference, even in a laminate George Benson, but other heavy strummers don't feel it effects them much.

I have a 16 and a 15. It's the smaller one that I feel closer to, the sound seems more immediate and balanced, not so bass balanced, even through the range and snappy to my right hand. I'm of average height and it fits me well. It feels closer to a classical to me, if that means anything.

Hope you find one to compare. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post

I have a 16 and a 15. It's the smaller one that I feel closer to, the sound seems more immediate and balanced, not so bass balanced, even through the range and snappy to my right hand. I'm of average height and it fits me well. It feels closer to a classical to me, if that means anything.
    If you play the 15" exclusively for a while, does the 16" feel at all uncomfortable?

User Info Menu

I've been a Tele player for many years and it worked well...standing up. Since I've recently stopped gigging due to my age and lack of places to do so, I've been playing sitting down quite a bit and have discovered that, as much as I love my Teles, I find them uncomfortable to play sitting down. I've tried a few archtops over the years including some nice Peerless models and a Gibson ES165 but was never really able to get comfortable playing them. Due to selling a nice high end acoustic recently, I had the funds to up my game a little and started investigating the Ibanez GB10 and it seemed to check all the boxes for me and I stumbled into a mint 2022 sunburst so I pulled the trigger and honestly feel that I'll never go guitar shopping again - it's just right and I wish I had tried one sooner; the 15" (14-7/8") body makes you think you're holding on to something instead being hunched over the plank. I've still got Teles and they'll get a little play time but the GB10 is 'it' for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    If you play the 15" exclusively for a while, does the 16" feel at all uncomfortable?
    Never. It's like short sleeve shirts and long sleeves. Both fit well. When I'm engrossed, both are ideally invisible to me.
    17" on the other hand, I do feel in the shoulder after a while.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I own nominal 15", 16", 17", and 18" archtops. For me the 16" is about the sweet spot between being too big to be comfortable and so small as to cause me to hunch. The 15" isn't that much different, though. To me the depth is more important than the width. I'm just not comfortable playing full-depth archtops, 3" and deeper. 2.5" is what I prefer. Others will certainly have different preferences. TL;DR - I don't find much difference between 15" and 16" guitars. That would not be my top criterion for choosing a guitar. Other things matter more.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    I've been a Tele player for many years and it worked well...standing up. Since I've recently stopped gigging due to my age and lack of places to do so, I've been playing sitting down quite a bit and have discovered that, as much as I love my Teles, I find them uncomfortable to play sitting down. I've tried a few archtops over the years including some nice Peerless models and a Gibson ES165 but was never really able to get comfortable playing them. Due to selling a nice high end acoustic recently, I had the funds to up my game a little and started investigating the Ibanez GB10 and it seemed to check all the boxes for me and I stumbled into a mint 2022 sunburst so I pulled the trigger and honestly feel that I'll never go guitar shopping again - it's just right and I wish I had tried one sooner; the 15" (14-7/8") body makes you think you're holding on to something instead being hunched over the plank. I've still got Teles and they'll get a little play time but the GB10 is 'it' for me.
    I didn't know the GB10 was 15".

You raise a good point about Telecasters. Great guitars. But seated (which is how I play) I've sometimes wondered if it's a tad too small in body size. (Perhaps this is why the Jazzmaster was designed?)

It's not bad nor would I say it's uncomfortable, and we adapt to what we have, usually without giving it deep thought. But if I were starting from scratch a larger (and lighter) body than the 12" Tele would be in the design.

To answer another question, I run through an amp most of the time but having an acoustic presence is a plus. I do not play at loud volumes so feedback control isn't a concern and so the amp would be there (ideally) to add some tonal substance rather than being necessary to amplify the level beyond what any acoustic instrument could muster on its own.

User Info Menu

I am 5'7", long legs and short trunk. I really like the feel of 15" guitars, I have two. Eastman carved, and Sadowsky lam.

15" v. 16" archtop-15-inch-jpg
    wanna sell that Bruno ?

User Info Menu

I am the opposite I feel most comfortable with an 18 or 17 but and 18 is my preference. I am 6'1 but something about the way a super 400 sits in the lap very balanced. At 15 inches you give away much power if acoustic playing is your bag. IF all you do is play electrically then go with what feels comfortable and easy to play. I cannot off the top of my head remember last time I played 15 inch guitar but really a 16 feels small to me.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I am the opposite I feel most comfortable with an 18 or 17 but and 18 is my preference. I am 6'1 but something about the way a super 400 sits in the lap very balanced. At 15 inches you give away much power if acoustic playing is your bag. IF all you do is play electrically then go with what feels comfortable and easy to play. I cannot off the top of my head remember last time I played 15 inch guitar but really a 16 feels small to me.
    You raise a good point. In short, to someone that plays double bass, a cello seems small. But to a violinist...

Meaning, size is relative.

Given that you're 6'1", someone who's 5'2" would need a much smaller bodied guitar to have fit similarly. Then there's torso length, arm length, etc. And depth comes into play given that its a three dimensional object. Then add in how you hold the guitar. Do you support it with a strap (it seems in a couple videos with 15" archtops the player doesn't actually rest it on their leg while seated) or let the whole mass set on one leg.

All that and still everything is subjective!

In my own experience, I played a Gretsch for a number of years. (16" x 2.75") Found that I sorta wrapped myself around it (in a good way) due to its size and girth, compared to the Telecaster, which being notably smaller, almost seems to disappear. (Except for the weight!)

User Info Menu

I think your wingspan is the
    comfort factor
    Ive got quite long arms and find
    15” too small
    I can be comfortable with
    16 or 17” width
    but i find 16” x 2 3/4 depth the most
    comfy
    Ibanez AF whatever fits nice

just try a few before buying

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4 View Post
    wanna sell that Bruno ?
    Actually, every once in a while I think about it, just because of the current value. It's 2005 nitro, mint. But then, what could I get to replace it?

What I'd REALLY like to find is a more acoustic oriented 15" to replace the Eastman, even not-cut. But anything I've found is too d*** expensive.

User Info Menu

Actually, every once in a while I think about it, just because of the current value. It's 2005 nitro, mint. But then, what could I get to replace it?

What I'd REALLY like to find is a more acoustic oriented 15" to replace the Eastman, even not-cut. But anything I've found is too d*** expensive.
    I built my own. I loved it so much I had Daniel who has a custom shop outside of Beijing build me another as a 7 string for just over $1,200 built to exact spec. Why have them build it when I can make my own? I could never justify the time for the quality of the work and the time they put in, and besides, I know the work of good luthier workmanship. Daniel is top notch. Because he's a Beijing builder, their bang for the buck is much greater.

Just saying, they do the work for me for all the archtops that come out of my shop. I have the guitars built there, I send them Benedetto floating pickups and Schaller machines and when it arrives here, I do a detailed setup. And they're even less than Yunzhei or Wu. Shhhhh, they're my best kept secret. Their acoustic response is unbelievable.
    They are Judy and Daniel at Musooguitars2017 and they have ordering information on Ebay.

User Info Menu

I hear ya, if you decide to someday keep me in mind.

i used to have a blond Bruno i should have never sold. I have 2010 Sadowsky semi, and a t-style...just need a Bruno and Sadowsky Nylon and im done lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    I hear ya, if you decide to someday keep me in mind.

i used to have a blond Bruno i should have never sold. I have 2010 Sadowsky semi, and a t-style...just need a Bruno and Sadowsky Nylon and im done lol
    Those Sadowsky's. They were the great idea of taking the GB10 and creating the perfect monster from it. The Benson size with anything anyone could want in a top level professional guitar. The final word on production 15" in my book. Benson, Bruno, SS-15.

User Info Menu

Splitting the difference:

15" v. 16" archtop-l-5-sig-collection-1-jpg

At 15.5" x 2.625" these fit me (5'4" and shrinking) perfectly, play & sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    FWIW, I own nominal 15", 16", 17", and 18" archtops. For me the 16" is about the sweet spot between being too big to be comfortable and so small as to cause me to hunch. The 15" isn't that much different, though. To me the depth is more important than the width. I'm just not comfortable playing full-depth archtops, 3" and deeper. 2.5" is what I prefer. Others will certainly have different preferences. TL;DR - I don't find much difference between 15" and 16" guitars. That would not be my top criterion for choosing a guitar. Other things matter more.
    How do you manage the 18"? Unless you are quite tall with bigger hands, I would imagine an 18" would be quite awkward.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    Splitting the difference:

15" v. 16" archtop-l-5-sig-collection-1-jpg

At 15.5" x 2.625" these fit me (5'4" and shrinking) perfectly, play & sound great.
    How do you decide which one to play?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    How do you manage the 18"? Unless you are quite tall with bigger hands, I would imagine an 18" would be quite awkward.

Doug
    I play it sort of like Freddie Green did, tilted way up. That's the only way I can manage it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    How do you manage the 18"?
    Michael Watts doesn't strike me as a particularly big/tall fellow, yet he manages just fine in all his demos of the Chinery collection.

User Info Menu

Here's a cool 15"-er from Yunzhi.