The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

As some of you may have seen I have a new (to me) Guild X-170 AB. I also have a Lollar CC pickup in humbucker shape sitting around. My mind got to wondering if anyone has installed a Charlie Christian type pickup in the neck position of a Guild X-170?

Anyone?

Thanks

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 04-11-2024 at 12:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why not?

User Info Menu

Nor really familiar with the Guild pickups but I've used the Vintage Vibes CC pickup in HB format several times and liked it but not sure if it would be 'better' than the Guild. Good excuse to try it and report back.

User Info Menu

Why not indeed. My thoughts were about if the effort would be worthwhile. In other words, CC vs. Guild HB-1.

User Info Menu

I haven’t played a Guild with a Lollar humbucker sized CC, but I’ve played laminate Heritage and Gibson carved top guitars that had that pickup installed and they sounded pretty good. It wouldn’t be my personal first choice, but they were quite good in those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I was thinking of trying my CC if it was better than the factory installed pickup. If not, it's not worth the effort of the swap.

User Info Menu

IMHO, there's only 2 reasons to ever swap a pickup:

1. Shit's broke
    2. You know the new pickup will give you a different sound that you want.

Seeing that I love the sound of CC pickups, I'd go for it. Particularly because it's a straight up swap, no modifications to the guitar necessary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    IMHO, there's only 2 reasons to ever swap a pickup:

1. Shit's broke
    2. You know the new pickup will give you a different sound that you want.

Seeing that I love the sound of CC pickups, I'd go for it. Particularly because it's a straight up swap, no modifications to the guitar necessary.

1. Nope, works fine

2. Not sure, just curious. Maybe I'll wait til I've had the X170 for a couple of weeks.

Doug

User Info Menu

If that X170 has either the earlier (non-Fender) HB1s or the Seymour Duncans, the pickups are a lot of the reason people go for those guitars. They have a chime/clarity to them that sets them apart from most humbuckers. So I'd give them a good amount of time to see if you like them, and if you swap in a CC make sure to hang on to the original in case you want to move the guitar on at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edpirie View Post
    If that X170 has either the earlier (non-Fender) HB1s or the Seymour Duncans, the pickups are a lot of the reason people go for those guitars. They have a chime/clarity to them that sets them apart from most humbuckers. So I'd give them a good amount of time to see if you like them, and if you swap in a CC make sure to hang on to the original in case you want to move the guitar on at some point.

Think I'm going to keep the Guild humbucker in for a while-I do think it sounds sweet. Once I have a feel for it, I'll decide then if I want to try the CC in the X170. If not, I can always do a Tim Lerch and mount the CC in my Telecaster.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edpirie View Post
    As near as I can figure from the info I have found, the X170 was made around 1995-97.