The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

[EDIT] My luthier says the cracks in the guitar are actually in the wood and not just the finish. Most concerning are the ones in the headstock area. So sadly, I will be returning it. I hope they will waive the return shipping since they did not disclose this.

A couple clips of my 1989 Gibson ES-175-20240412_131357-highlighting-jpgA couple clips of my 1989 Gibson ES-175-20240412_131405-highlighting-jpg

Blue Bossa with 1989 Gibson 175, Fractal FM9

Several folks had asked for a clip when I received it. I bought this from Blue Mountain Guitars in NH.
    It's a 1989 with mahogany back and sides and to my ears, captures some of the vintage tone I remember from the '60s 175s.

It's a lighter build than the more recent ones and along with slightly darker pickups, it has more thunk and also a distinctive Pat Metheny vibe to it.

The guitar needs a bit of work. It was refretted but it looks like the luthier did not taper off the end of the fingerboard as many archtop luthiers like to do.

Consequently it has a bit of a tailrise but it should be able to be taken care of with a fret level. It's got a bit of sitaring on the G string which I think will be taken care of by reducing the tension on the truss rod. Like many gibsons from this era, there is top sinkage so that's something else I'll need to get an assessment of.

I'm taking it to my repairman on April 12th and hopefully all will be well because the sound is great.

Backing track by Phil Wilkinsin, check out playjazztracks.com!

P.S. There is no strap button on the back so I have a shoelace tied to the headstock. How does anyone stand and play with one of those, lol! The guitar keeps slipping and won't stay in the 45 degree position!

#sheetsofsound #halfdiminished #min7b5
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonArchtops #Gibson175 #altereddominant
    #halfdiminished
    Last edited by jzucker; 04-12-2024 at 01:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

And another clip marking my progress on Giant Steps

User Info Menu

At least it's real and you got it! Hope the issues you pointed out aren't sinister, because the tone's just great.

User Info Menu

Wow, nice playing, Jack. Your 'new-to-you' '89 175 sounds wonderful.

The shoestring-strap setup didn't seem to slow you down. My '89 also has no end pins, so I play it seated.

yeah, it reminds me of the sunburst one that got away. Thanks for commenting.

User Info Menu

Sounds nice. What is top shrinkage? That would be quite easy to assess yourself. Has the base of the bridge a gap under it? Even if it two footed bridge the symmetry will be present and you can see? Does it dip in any way that suggests sinking?

Looking across the top can point to this too. Gibson with the arch can sometimes make them such that it looks sinking but is not. The get a bit flat at top of curve.

User Info Menu

Sounds wonderful, Jack. I've never played a mahogany ES175 so now it's on my musical "to do" list.

User Info Menu

Is this using the same amp/settings as the other 175's clips you've posted recently? Some of those are pretty bright sounding, and if it's apples-to-apples otherwise that's quite a big difference in tone.

User Info Menu

I will preempt your next "death match" and opine that I like the tone of this 175 better than the other 175, the L-4CES, the BK and the GB.

It seems that I really like 175's from the 80's and 90's the best. And as far as blonde 175's go, being that I own three of them, it seems I like that aspect as well.

Put a strap pin on it. The Shoestring method has never worked for me either. How did Wes do it? I guess we need a really good medium to find that out.

Nice playing to boot.

User Info Menu

I have a 1957 ES 175 that I love but you've got me curious about these late 80s models. I remember a thread you wrote, Jack, in which you highlighted all of your thoughts about different eras of es 175s. I don't know of anyone who has gone into so much detail to outline the history of this model from a player's perspective. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing that knowledge with us as I don't think many of us would have been able to get that insight otherwise without spending a ton of time and money.

You've got me interested in a late 80s ES 175 now for sure.

User Info Menu

Jack,

This blonde 175 sounds killer. So round and so evenly balanced across the tonal range.

If you death match it against the L-4CES, we’ll be able to declare the 24.75” scale winner. My money was on the L-4, but maybe not now.

I hope your tech deems the issues to be minor and easily correctable. That is a simply a great sounding 175. Congrats and Happy NGD!

Alpine

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

I have an '88 and it does have a strap button on the heel. Was that OEM? Can't tell.

I had an '82--one of their early mahoganies--and it did not have a strap button. Back when I got it I begged a luthier at the shop where I took lessons to install one, but he refused. "I'm not messing up a classic guitar." I tied a string around the headstock, but it never felt comfortable like my current guitars.

I know people diss the mystique of the 175, but there's no disputing the simplicity and beauty of the construction. There are very few instruments or tools of any kind that are as suited to the purpose as a 175.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Is this using the same amp/settings as the other 175's clips you've posted recently? Some of those are pretty bright sounding, and if it's apples-to-apples otherwise that's quite a big difference in tone.
    yes, same amp settings. I probably had the tone turned down to 4-5 on the guitar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I will preempt your next "death match" and opine that I like the tone of this 175 better than the other 175, the L-4CES, the BK and the GB.

It seems that I really like 175's from the 80's and 90's the best. And as far as blonde 175's go, being that I own three of them, it seems I like that aspect as well.

Put a strap pin on it. The Shoestring method has never worked for me either. How did Wes do it? I guess we need a really good medium to find that out.

Nice playing to boot.
    Thanks!

I'm taking the guitar into my luthier today. I had the 2013 175 in the case but practiced with it this morning and it plays like buttah compared to the '89 175. I hate when I get a new guitar and the setup is terrible. There's some type of weird pinging on the G string which I think is probably that the slot on it is not cut right. He'll probably do a quick fix and add superglue and baking soda to build it up. It probably needs a fret level too and as usual on these old guitars, there is a ton of sympathetic vibration, on the '89, the strings are vibrating/buzzing at the tailpiece.

But overall I like it and I'm partial to blonde guitars and older guitars so I hope he says everything is fixable for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Sounds great!

I have an '88 and it does have a strap button on the heel. Was that OEM? Can't tell.

I had an '82--one of their early mahoganies--and it did not have a strap button. Back when I got it I begged a luthier at the shop where I took lessons to install one, but he refused. "I'm not messing up a classic guitar." I tied a string around the headstock, but it never felt comfortable like my current guitars.

I know people diss the mystique of the 175, but there's no disputing the simplicity and beauty of the construction. There are very few instruments or tools of any kind that are as suited to the purpose as a 175.
    For some reason, they never put a strap button on the heel of the 175s. I've had several of different eras where I had to add one.

[EDIT] My luthier says the cracks in the guitar are actually in the wood and not just the finish. Most concerning are the ones in the headstock area. So sadly, I will be returning it. I hope they will waive the return shipping since they did not disclose this.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the headstock looks like a timebomb. I am assuming that the guitar was shipped with a proper case that had a headstock support?

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, the headstock looks like a timebomb. I am assuming that the guitar was shipped with a proper case that had a headstock support?
    It shipped in a brown, gibson case so yeah. Very sad as this one sounded really great.

User Info Menu

Bad news. That headstock crack would be a deal killer for me as well, no matter the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    It shipped in a brown, gibson case so yeah. Very sad as this one sounded really great.
    Very sorry for the disappointing finding. You're a great guitarist who is always willing to share your talents here. You deserve the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    Very sorry for the disappointing finding. You're a great guitarist who is always willing to share your talents here. You deserve the best.
    Thanks, I found another late '80s with the mahogany back and sides but i dunno, lol...

User Info Menu

Ouch, ouch and ouch! Have you tried the 1959 VOS reissues?

User Info Menu

Yes, that one goes back, and the question is if this happened in shipping? Then the question is did seller even know? I suspect they did know but frankly with some dealers they would not know many things. I don't know these folks at the store you bought it, but they would get it back and I would ask for shipping since not disclosed. Otherwise, they need to file a claim for damages. I any case you still have a great 175.

Always the perils of buying guitars over the mail and not in person. Hard to avoid in some cases. Also, a lesson to anyone buying guitars in person to check over everything because this could be missed in heartbeat.

User Info Menu

Sucks. Yes send it back. There’s no price I’d accept to keep something like that for a personal player.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Ouch, ouch and ouch! Have you tried the 1959 VOS reissues?
    I tried one a while back and didn't care for it but they sure sound great in the clips I've heard recently. I should give them another chance.