The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a 1952 ES-125 that came with an ill fitting hardcase. I have read through all the threads I can find on here about gig bags, hard foam cases etc. and my question is this...

When I measure the depth - not just rim to rim but accounting for the back arch and bridge - it comes to 5.25 inches. That is deeper than most gig bags and cases quote for max depth at 4.25 to 5 inches.

My Mono M80 quotes max depth 5 inches, and while the ES-125 fits, it's a snug fit, and I am worried that any pressure on the front will translate to pressure on the bridge. But there are many recommendations for the M80 for ES-175s here, which should be the same dimensions.

The only cases I have found that quote 5.5 inches are SKB, but they are hard to get in the UK and seem expensive for what they are.

Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Surely you can find a 16" Hiscox case in the UK and try it out for fit.

User Info Menu

The problem in the UK is there are hardly any music shops left, it’s all online and I’d prefer not to risk having to return a case by courier. Was hoping for either some reassurance that I’m worrying needlessly about the M80 or validation of my worry and solution. I can’t be the only one who’s gone through this thought process.

User Info Menu

Dreadnaught case? I have the m80 and yeah it is 4” from zip to padding. The model I have is m80-vad. Dunno if they do a size up but any es-175 case should do?

Gibson ES-125 body depth and gig bag/case-img_0271-jpg
    the Eastman is 2.75” at the rim, and in the case there is 1” clearance.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that - yours looks like the Vertigo whereas mine is the M80 Classic. I wonder if my 125 is unusually deep inc. arch and bridge.

Problem with most dreadnought cases is they are rated max 5 inches whereas mine measures 5.25. I may have to shell out for the SKB ASB case which is rated 5.5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edpirie
    I recently picked up a 1952 ES-125 that came with an ill fitting hardcase. I have read through all the threads I can find on here about gig bags, hard foam cases etc. and my question is this...

When I measure the depth - not just rim to rim but accounting for the back arch and bridge - it comes to 5.25 inches. That is deeper than most gig bags and cases quote for max depth at 4.25 to 5 inches.

My Mono M80 quotes max depth 5 inches, and while the ES-125 fits, it's a snug fit, and I am worried that any pressure on the front will translate to pressure on the bridge. But there are many recommendations for the M80 for ES-175s here, which should be the same dimensions.

The only cases I have found that quote 5.5 inches are SKB, but they are hard to get in the UK and seem expensive for what they are.

Thoughts?
    I have a Mono M80. I it use with my Seventy-Seven, which has the same dimensions as a 175 or 125. When I close the case, yes, the top touches the bridge. But this is a good thing, not a concern. The padding is memory foam that conforms to the guitar to protect it. The snugness means the guitar isn’t bouncing around in the case.

User Info Menu

I have learned my hard case snugness lessons the hard way.
    I would opt for a padded gig bag that actually would be superior protection in most situations (save for air cargo when you need a flight case).

There are many different types of "hard cases", some are harder (and heavier) than others and some fit better than others. Some doesn't fit at all and some guitars come in poor fit cases direct from factory.

The problem (and this is really a problem) is that once you've closed the lid you cannot look inside or ask the guitar "how's it going?" The guitar speaks to you in other ways and will let you know that it's not comfortable at all if you squeeze it.

When shipping guitars (e.g when trading on-line), this is a different game, then you need to ensure a tight fit to safeguard the headstock.
    Best example is the Lifton cases used by Gibson CS. Loose fit with foam wedges put in for shipping. Once the guitar is in your house, remove those foam wedges if you plan to store the guitar in its case.

We've all heard the phrase "best way to store a guitar is in it's case". Now, that's not necessarily true at all.

User Info Menu

Just for reference,

check this out ("why your new guitar didn't come with a hard case")

If a hard case really is "safer" or not probably depends on how you plan to handle your cased guitar, but I do agree with him; don't put pressure on the bridge.
    And I could add; don't squeeze the neck and headstock.