The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Playing over the tune Doxy with these two amazing instruments. Each one is my favorite while I'm playing it. Which one do you like?

I think the kessel is my fave...

#sheetsofsound #jazzstandards #doxy
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonArchtops #GibsonKessel #gibsonL4CES

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You're not going to like this... I didn't even notice the guitar changing until I looked back and the screen and it was different. They're both great.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    You're not going to like this... I didn't even notice the guitar changing until I looked back and the screen and it was different. They're both great.
    haha, yeah - they are real similar. The spruce top on the kessel is probably the best laminate spruce guitar I've played. None of the other lam spruce guitars have the same sound IMO.

User Info Menu

Oh, I don't think these are too similar...but I like both.

The edges on the notes of the l4 are much more cloudy...it has less snap overall. It's a beautiful tone, but for this environment, I prefer the Kessel. Has a lot more "bite" to it.

I need to hear the Kessel vs the Benson over a smokin' organ track...

User Info Menu

I don't like saying this, but.................

The Barney Kessel wins for me.

And, I own a 1949 Gibson L4C.

Edit:
    (I had a 'Made in Japan' 1970's Barney Kessel Copy at one time. Too much feedback.)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I don't like saying this, but.................

The Barney Kessel wins for me.

And, I own a 1949 Gibson L4C.

Edit:
    (I had a 'Made in Japan' 1970's Barney Kessel Copy at one time. Too much feedback.)
    I played one of those at a shop in DC a few years ago next to a '66 kessel. They were both amazing. The L4 sounded better in the shop but the 66 kessel was maple top...

User Info Menu

Just from the video audio I prefer the Kessel slightly. Think it has a bit more sparkle due to the longer scale length.

Ultimately it’s whatever feels more comfortable to you as the player.

User Info Menu

¯\_(?)_/¯

They both sound nice and spruce-y. Just for the conversation-piece/coolness factor I think I'd rather own the BK, but I'd be happy with either.

User Info Menu

Well Jack... you already know what I'm going to say: I love that Kessel! (and not just for the look :)

It's got an enticing mix of attack and warmth. Like Mr B said, it'd be interesting to hear it up against the GB.

User Info Menu

Too subtle for me - if it weren't for the visual I wouldn't have known you switched guitars.

User Info Menu

I couldn't pick one over the other.

User Info Menu

The BK!

User Info Menu

You have sold many guitars, Jack. But you have hung onto that 1963 BK. That's your forever guitar.

User Info Menu

Wow both sound great, warm and deep. The BK with a slightly more pronounced high end which I prefer.

User Info Menu

The L4 vs 175 was too close to call, at least from a compressed internet video.

Here the BK wins, probably due to longer scale and lam top. It has thunk. Thunk matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The L4 vs 175 was too close to call, at least from a compressed internet video.

Here the BK wins, probably due to longer scale and lam top. It has thunk. Thunk matters.
    It's cool because it has thunk but also the velvety, sprucey quality. It's got some L5 qualities but also some Tal Farlow (reissue) qualities.

User Info Menu

Hands down, the BK has much finer tone, imo. Great playing Jack!

User Info Menu

Since this is a "Death Match", my verdict is...No death for either!

Both have a great jazz tone, just slightly different from one another...in a good way. If I heard them in a live venue it would be a tie.

Excellent playing!

User Info Menu

That double cutaway must be a dream to play. I definitely hear more bite in the BK. Which one do YOU prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeko
    That double cutaway must be a dream to play. I definitely hear more bite in the BK. Which one do YOU prefer?
    Tough call. Probably the BK.

More mojo

User Info Menu

Perhaps, if you really want to get peoples' reactions to a comparison of guitar tones, you should record the two guitars but use a video of something else, say, fish swimming in an aquarium, and force your viewers to listen with their ears instead of with their eyes. Make sure there are no visual clues about when you switched guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    Perhaps, if you really want to get peoples' reactions to a comparison of guitar tones, you should record the two guitars but use a video of something else, say, fish swimming in an aquarium, and force your viewers to listen with their ears instead of with their eyes. Make sure there are no visual clues about when you switched guitars.
    I think we’ve mostly learned to close our eyes when watching Jack. On account of the sunglasses
    Last edited by John A.; 04-12-2024 at 09:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I like both but the BK wins for me, and actually it's not a guitar I like to look at. Unlike many, the double cutaway just looks wrong to me. But that's my quirk. the sound actually put me in mind of another guitar whose sound I love but whose look is not my fave, namely the Gibson Tal Farrow. there is kind of a thunk+sophistication quality in each. Maybe I should start paying more attention to guitars I don't prefer aesthetically...

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like both but the BK wins for me, and actually it's not a guitar I like to look at. Unlike many, the double cutaway just looks wrong to me. But that's my quirk. the sound actually put me in mind of another guitar whose sound I love but whose look is not my fave, namely the Gibson Tal Farrow. there is kind of a thunk+sophistication quality in each. Maybe I should start paying more attention to guitars I don't prefer aesthetically...
    I actually love the look as well as the Ibanez PM-120/100 guitars. Sort of art-deco-ish. It also has the advantage of the best fret access of any archtop I've ever played. (true of both the metheny and barney kessel)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I am with you on the aesthetic thing. Both the TF and the BK are variations on the ES-350. I am fine with the look of the ES-350, but the BK and TF just don't "look right" to me. I suspect most archtop players agree with us.

Kudos to JZ (and others here) for liking the oddball looking guitars. Those who like stuff that is not adored by the crowd get better deals.