The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi,

New to the forum but not the website; but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to online.

I'm considering buying an Ibanez GB30 guitar but I see the production of them have moved from China to Indonesia. I can't seem to find anything regarding the build quality of these.

Wondering if I should risk buying a new one that's MIIndonesia, or look for an older used one that's MIChina? The older videos and reviews I see online regarding the Chinese ones say the build quality is pretty good after the first couple years (there were tailpiece issues?)

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kaiju; 04-11-2024 at 01:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I guess no one's done a comparison

User Info Menu

The GB30 was made in Japan from 1986-1993, then discontinued. It was a semihollow.
    The GB30th was a more usual GB10 but fancier, made 2008-2009 in Japan. 30 were made.

GB30 and GB30th models haven't been made in years, and were never made in China or Indonesia, according to the Ibanez wiki page (links in text above).

User Info Menu

This gentleman has observations which may interest you!
    I watched it when deciding on an Indonesian VS Chinese made Ibanez 335 style guitar!
    I ended up buying an Ibanez AS-113 made in Indonesia:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
    Hi,

New to the forum but not the website; but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to online.

I'm considering buying an Ibanez GB30 guitar but I see the production of them have moved from China to Indonesia. I can't seem to find anything regarding the build quality of these.

Wondering if I should risk buying a new one that's MIIndonesia, or look for an older used one that's MIChina? The older videos and reviews I see online regarding the Chinese ones say the build quality is pretty good after the first couple years (there were tailpiece issues?)

Thanks.
    Are you talking about the Ibanez LGB30 rather than the GB30?

yeah I just realized that mistake in the title. I meant the LGB30. I'll fix the title.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    This gentleman has observations which may interest you! I watched it when deciding on an Indonesian VS Chinese made Ibanez 335 style guitar! I ended up buying an Ibanez AS-113 made in Indonesia
    Yes, there seems to be agreement that the Indonesian made guitars are usually superior to the Chinese made ones. However, that may be due to the amount of control that the brand has over the manufacturing process in those countries, Chinese Communist Party restrictions make it a more difficult and/or less transparent process. It's still true that "you get what you pay for," there's a reason that Chinese made guitars are the least expensive and it's not purely economic.

that makes sense. I was hoping the new MII models were better than the MIC ones. I already have a Gretsch Electromatic that I use but I really like the look of the LGB30 and want to get one.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Thanks.
    First off, . As to your question, I can't offer any comparisons. However, I can say that the LGB30 I bought last year is a great guitar for the money, imo. The build is solid and the neck (with the "Artstar edge treatment" frets) is very comfortable in my large hands. Others might think of replacing the Ibanez Super 58 pickups, but I like them and have no trouble dialing in warm jazz tones. I purchased mine for just over $820 with OHSC. No regrets. I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

I owned a MIC one which played well and sounded great (both subjective mind). Had to replace the tailpiece which was expensive and difficult to source the part in Europe, but that did seem to be an issue with earlier years. I read similar about a decline in quality of the LGB30 when it moved to MII but haven’t played one and that may only have been for a short time after the transition. I would say go for the one you can play first, and if you like it who cares about comparisons.

User Info Menu

Where Are Ibanez Guitars Made?

Early Ibanez guitars in the late 1950’s to 60’s were made in Japan.
    From the 1970’s until the mid-late 80’s all Ibanez guitars were produced in the FugiGen factory in Japan.
    After the late 80’s production moved to South Korea from 1987 until around 2008 when labour costs forced them to move manufacturing elsewhere.
    Ibanez commenced making guitars in China around 1999, and in the Indonesian PT Cort factory from 1997.

In the late 80’s to mid-90’s the USA Custom range and American Master Series was made in Los Angeles, California.
    The Custom and Prestige series are made in Japan.
    Ibanez’s Iron Label, and Axiom line of guitars are made in Indonesia.
    The Premium line is made in the Indonesian ‘premium’ factory.
    The Ibanez GIO line is made in China.
    Ibanez guitars ship with D’Addario strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post
    The GB30 was made in Japan from 1986-1993, then discontinued. It was a semihollow.
    The GB30th was a more usual GB10 but fancier, made 2008-2009 in Japan. 30 were made.

GB30 and GB30th models haven't been made in years, and were never made in China or Indonesia, according to the Ibanez wiki page (links in text above).
    He's talking about the LGB30, not the GB30. Totally different guitars. The LGB30 is the "Little George Benson" and is a more recently made instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Yes, there seems to be agreement that the Indonesian made guitars are usually superior to the Chinese made ones. However, that may be due to the amount of control that the brand has over the manufacturing process in those countries, Chinese Communist Party restrictions make it a more difficult and/or less transparent process. It's still true that "you get what you pay for," there's a reason that Chinese made guitars are the least expensive and it's not purely economic.
    '.........................there seems to be agreement that the Indonesian made guitars are usually superior to the Chinese made ones.'

Not sure about that. Several major dealers here in France that I dealt with for Peerless preferred ''good' Chinese examples to often unstable tropical hardwoods deployed in Indonesian manufacture. Peerless itself was based in S.Korea and was excellent, until accountants took over the running of the show.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    '.........................there seems to be agreement that the Indonesian made guitars are usually superior to the Chinese made ones.'

Not sure about that. Several major dealers here in France that I dealt with for Peerless preferred ''good' Chinese examples to often unstable tropical hardwoods deployed in Indonesian manufacture. Peerless itself was based in S.Korea and was excellent, until accountants took over the running of the show.

David
    Perhaps we can no longer generalize about it. Guitars have made in China for almost as long as in Indonesia now, about 25 years. And politics play a part in it: a country's government and it's labor and international trade policies.

User Info Menu

Indonesia it s better than China imho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto View Post
    Indonesia it s better than China imho
    What makes you say that?

took the leap and ordered a LGB30. Excited to see how it is when it arrives.

It came I've been playing it for about an hour. It sounds excellent and exactly what I was looking for. The flatwound .11's feel very different from what I'm used to, might try .10's. I'm used to roundwound .9's.

The finish and quality seem fine to me. I don't see any glaring imperfections. There's no buzzing or high frets. No orange peel or anything I see in the finish. The fretboard is a really nice very deep black which I love. I went over the guitar looking for any issues and I don't see any. The bridge is in the right spot too because the intonation is perfect. I've been playing about 35 years and usually I can find some tiny little issue on a guitar but so far I haven't found anything to complain about here. The guitar is great and exactly what I was looking for. Neck feels a lot like a Gibson Les Paul, it's not too wide or too skinny, but it's not fat and baseball bat like either. It's very comfortable. Frets are polished and the ends are hot-dogged and rounded nicely. The case seems really nice and durable too.

All in all I'm very happy with it. Looks like my Electromatic, Teles, and SG's have some real competition for my attention now. It's hard to put down.

User Info Menu

I had some artcores in the past (MIC) and right now I have a Cort Yorktown (MII) and it sounds more real, more like a laminated archtop guitar. I also have a Daquisto Jazzline.
    i Think that the plates used in the MIC are not made it like the real ones

idk, this one is MII, I don't have any MIC guitars to compare quality. I have MIA, MIM, and a MIK Gretsch.

User Info Menu

yeah I just realized that mistake in the title. I meant the LGB30. I'll fix the title.
    I have a used one for sale if you’re in the states. $700 plus shipping.

Edit - I see you found one. Congratulations. It’s a solid archtop.

User Info Menu

It came I've been playing it for about an hour. It sounds excellent and exactly what I was looking for...
    I'm glad you got the LGB30 (it's identical to mine) and that you are happy with it. Hope I was helpful.

User Info Menu

Looks good congratulations. GBs ship with daddario 11s they are a string with the highest tension of any that I know of. You can stay with the same gauge with any other brand of your choosing and it will play easier. The GBs need a certain amount of tension to sound their best so I'd be leary of going too much lighter YMMV though. Best of luck to you.

I bought a set of Ernie Ball flatwounds in .10 and in .11

yeah the stock .11's on it feel very tight for sure, almost like a steel string acoustic.

User Info Menu

Kaiju, That is a new Ibanez you bought? Looks fine.