The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Just about to pull the trigger on a 65 Princeton Reverb to see how it sounds. I have the plug in and love it ( but in my experience plug ins always sound better than the real thing).

I have a Vox AC15C1 which I love though weighs a tonne for gigs.

Big difference is the Princeton doesn't have a master control.

Using it for fingerstyle jazz. Tele with a Lollar CC pick up in the neck. The Vox sounds bassy with it and it's very difficult to lower the pick up further.

Will be used for private play and teaching at low volume and gigs at higher volume.

Which would you choose and why?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Just about to pull the trigger on a 65 Princeton Reverb to see how it sounds. I have the plug in and love it ( but in my experience plug ins always sound better than the real thing).

I have a Vox AC15C1 which I love though weighs a tonne for gigs.

Big difference is the Princeton doesn't have a master control.

Using it for fingerstyle jazz. Tele with a Lollar CC pick up in the neck. The Vox sounds bassy with it and it's very difficult to lower the pick up further.

Will be used for private play and teaching at low volume and gigs at higher volume.

Which would you choose and why?
    Princeton Reverb, because the clean tone is more to my taste, and it’s a lot lighter and smaller. The AC is probably a bit louder overall, but also more distorted at higher volumes.

As far as bass goes, it’s tough to say. 12’s tend to have more even response than 10’s, but also are more beamy/directional. So depending on things like the specific driver, the room, and where you’re standing in relation to the amp, one might seem bassier than the other, or vice versa. All I can really say is that the PR I had (which had a Jensen C10Q) was loud and pretty bassy.

User Info Menu

Not to confuse things, but a Fender Blues Jr. Has a master volume and EL84 power tubes like your Vox AC15.
    Would that be a viable alternative for you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Not to confuse things, but a Fender Blues Jr. Has a master volume and EL84 power tubes like your Vox AC15.
    Would that be a viable alternative for you?
    Not after just pulling the trigger on the PR

But will look into it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's just a pity that I don't live in a town or city where these are available in the local shop

I asked the local shop about getting in a 65 Princeton Reverb but they wouldn't although it would sell easily if I didn't like it I'd think.

Second-hand ones on our version if craiglist don't last long so there's demand for them.

User Info Menu

I own the Princeton Reverb 12, Sweetwater Edition with the Cannabis Rex. Such a sweet amp!
    Owned the Vox AC15C1 in the past.
    I never really got on with that amp. To my ears, it always sounded a little “raw” if you will, less refined. Not “pretty”, like the Fender(s), and it weighed way too much.
    If there is any negative to the Princeton it would be that my hollow, semi hollow and solid body all sound pretty much like a guitar playing through a Princeton…which is sweet!
    I notice a much stronger individual personality when playing through my solid state practice amp.
    (Keep in mind that I only play clean.)

User Info Menu

I would suggest searching for these two models here. I recall both of these amps being discussed in great detail with plenty of inside views. Psionic Audio - YouTube

User Info Menu

I received the 65 Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue yesterday and now I'm in a real dilemma

I like different aspects of both amps. The Vox has a warmer sound but I prefer the bass sound on the Princeton.

Out of the students who I asked which amp sound they preferred 5 said the Vox and 1 the Princeton....

I play a telecaster with a Lollar CC pick up in the neck. What do you think are the optimal Princeton settings for that?

If only I could amalgamate the two sounds...

User Info Menu

Had rehearsal with the duo singer today. She prefers the Vox ....

User Info Menu

One thing I have found is that the Princetons sound is heavily dependent on the speaker used. Assuming you have a stock one with a 10” small mag Jensen it might be a fairly bright amp. I would try it with bass at 2 and treble at 3.

I usually use a larger mag speaker and do bass 3 treble 5. Usually I lower the bass further the louder the amp is.

I think the Princeton is the right choice for jazz.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 04-18-2024 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Liarspoker, I love the old "bass and treble at 0.5 trick" for Princetons.

I miss my Princeton a bit. I wonder if the guy I sold it to is using it...

User Info Menu

Yes start with bass/treble at 0.5 and go from there. Sometimes people assume the EQ is neutral at 12 o'clock but that isn't the case with a Princeton.

I have the '68 with a Celestion Gold and usually have bass on 0 with a Tele (neck pickup).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olejason View Post
    Yes start with bass/treble at 0.5 and go from there. Sometimes people assume the EQ is neutral at 12 o'clock but that isn't the case with a Princeton.

I have the '68 with a Celestion Gold and usually have bass on 0 with a Tele (neck pickup).
    Yup, that's just where I start with a Deluxe Reverb (old one) for jazz. Then slight increases if needed. Often leave the treble super low!

User Info Menu

Fender amps don’t have 0.5 guys.

User Info Menu

News to me, that's how I always set my Princeton. Both barely cracked open.

User Info Menu

I’m just saying the minimum value on the knobs is 1. So I think you mean 1.5. I get what you’re saying though and I think it’s clear to the OP.

User Info Menu