The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of picking up a nylon-stringed electric. Not an amplified classical guitar, but something more like the Godin Multiac or the Cordoba Stage. I want a radiused fingerboard, nut width more like the electrics I'm used to, and a slim body.
    Anyone have any experience with one of these you really like or really hate?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6 is a wonderful instrument. It feels more or less like a very lightweight nylon string Tele. The 18v preamp has a lot of headroom and a better tone than most piezo pickups. There are two versions, one with a classicalish neck (flat, wide but electric guitar thin) and the other with a hybrid neck which (radiused, 1 11/16).

User Info Menu

I've owned four kinds in my life. Two Godins; two Carvin CL450's and an NS1; and a Cordoba Stage.

JMO, the Godins sounded good, but felt a little bit heavy and clunky. (But you get the added benefit of synth out if you are interested in that.)

The Carvin (now Kiesel) NS1 is very nice, a little like the Godin but I think a far superior build quality, and a much nicer neck. Also includes synth, but not much acoustic volume, like the Godins. Also more $.

The Stage is wonderful. Everything you mention, and decent acoustic volume for quiet home playing. And the price, wow. And they look cool, IMO the coolest of the bunch.You may need to set it up to your liking, the action comes kinda high, but simple work on the nut, bridge, and tr will make it play like velvet. I did all myself. See my FS thread. (Not me playing.)

I recently sold it only because I settled on my most recent Carvin CL450 in Koa, which has the most realistic Spanish tone, both acoustically and electrically, and are now out of production and pretty much unavailable; and I know I could get another Stage at any time when I want. (And, superficially, I have matching steel and nylon models, both now unavailable.)

They all have 1-7/8 nut, that's mostly the most common out there. There are a bunch of thinner neck models out there, but you will have to search a bit and maybe sacrifice other aspects.

I've read that the Turners sound great but I never tried one. I also believe they are quite expensive.

My matching Carvins:

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-carvins-jpg

IMO, you can't beat the balance of build quality, sound, looks, and price of the Stage.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-09-2024 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I've had two.

Godin Multiac. Short lower bout can fall off your leg. Worth checking to see it won't bother you. I always wished I could dial down more treble than the RMC electronics allow. It's a bright guitar. Fed back horribly until I stuffed it with foam. This not the ACS model.

Yamaha Silent (original version). Had Piezo quack and electronics got crackly. Great neck and playability. No feedback, of course.

The Frameworks guitar is a little longer scale I think, but sounds better than the original Yamaha silent.

User Info Menu

I purchased a Cordoba Stage shortly after they were introduced. I loved it then and it remains my second most played guitar of the three I own. I did have to replaced the tuners this past January which was surprising for a relatively new guitar, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

it is a great traveling guitar. I took on my holiday trips this past December and was complimented whenever I played it.

Since its initial launch, Cordoba has offered a couple variations. Most are finish choices though their new one with an ebony fretboard looks classy except it has chrome hardware.

All in all a great guitar for a lot less than a Godin.

User Info Menu

Lately I've been using a Tears TLP-EGP nylon string electric and have been very happy with it. The body is hollow mahogany with a flame maple top. Mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge, 648mm scale, nut 44m, 12th fret 54mm, and Gotoh tuners. The neck feels and plays like an electric. It has an under saddle Highlander IP-1V PU, which operates similar to the K&K Pure Mini in that it picks up the saddle and body resonance, with active electronics and a 3 band EQ. Very quiet unplugged for late night playing, sounds great through an amp or the house PA at the jam session venues I frequent. Made in Japan, I got it on the guitar street in Tokyo 5 yrs ago, but it's worth checking IMHO if they are available internationally.

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_6537-jpg

User Info Menu

For playing concerts with ensembles, wanting a reasonably true classical guitar sound (w/o feedback) then you should probably exclude anything with a soundhole. The Godin Duet Ambiance has served me well when I needed to amplify and play in ensembles. I have used it recently for Tedesco's Romancero Gitano (guitar + chamber choir) which is a demanding piece for classical guitar. I have used it with string quartets, guitar/harp duo and a number of settings that require a professional sound. For the Godin I use polished bass strings and a Fishman Mini Loud Box that can fit right under my chair. Note that the Duet is different vs. the Multiac although it looks kind of similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    I purchased a Cordoba Stage shortly after they were introduced. I loved it then and it remains my second most played guitar of the three I own. I did have to replaced the tuners this past January which was surprising for a relatively new guitar, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

it is a great traveling guitar. I took on my holiday trips this past December and was complimented whenever I played it.

Since its initial launch, Cordoba has offered a couple variations. Most are finish choices though their new one with an ebony fretboard looks classy except it has chrome hardware.

All in all a great guitar for a lot less than a Godin.
    I am always looking for excuses to replace the tuners, but my Cordoba Stage’s work well and look awesome. Not sure of the wood on the knobs, but it’s dark and open grained.

Great looking guitar, and the quality on mine is outstanding.

I agree I play it about half the time at home. It is fun to take stuff you’ve worked on with a regular archtop and play it with the nylon strings. The fretboard feels a lot more like a jazz box than most nylon string A/Es, yet the nut width isn’t so narrow you can’t easily fingerpick. Very comfortable to play as well.

I will leave comments on the electronics to others, but IMO with a bit of adjustment it has none of the piezo quack associated with many A/Es. Very effective amplification.

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_4594-jpg

User Info Menu

To be just a wee bit pedantic: those are not electrics (aka "electric guitars") in the sense that term has grown to have: string vibration converted to current variations by an (electro)magnetic pickup The proper term would probably be either acoustic-electric (like most steel-strung flat-tops and crossovers) or acoustic-digital or even simply digital if the amount of sound they make with batteries is negligible

FWIW, Aquila are working on "nylon" strings that will work with electro-magnetic PUs and if I understood correctly, will also have the tension required for steel-string acoustics. No idea if and when they'll come to the market though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Lately I've been using a Tears TLP-EGP nylon string electric and have been very happy with it. The body is hollow mahogany with a flame maple top. Mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge, 648mm scale, nut 44m, 12th fret 54mm, and Gotoh tuners. The neck feels and plays like an electric. It has an under saddle Highlander IP-1V PU, which operates similar to the K&K Pure Mini in that it picks up the saddle and body resonance, with active electronics and a 3 band EQ. Very quiet unplugged for late night playing, sounds great through an amp or the house PA at the jam session venues I frequent. Made in Japan, I got it on the guitar street in Tokyo 5 yrs ago, but it's worth checking IMHO if they are available internationally.

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_6537-jpg
    Oh, I like that. And it has a 44mm nut. I wonder if you can get a more traditional finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donnd
    For playing concerts with ensembles, wanting a reasonably true classical guitar sound (w/o feedback) then you should probably exclude anything with a soundhole.
    From experience, I respectfully disagree. I have been using my Carvins for years for Broadway-type shows with with full orchestras, and loud drums, bass, kb's, etc, in full auditoriums. Great tone, and no feedback. The nylon was great for Footloose, Evita, etc. A true acoustic amp like Fishman, Genzler, etc, is a must for the tone. FWIW, i bought a Fishman from GC with 30-day return to try next to my Genzler. For tone, it was close, but the Genzler wins.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Solid input, good information, and the voice of actual experience is helpful. This morning I ordered the Cordoba Stage and hopefully will have it on Friday! I think hearing Pat Metheny recently in concert, playing a good bit of nylon-stringed music, revived my interest (though his is, I think, a baritone nylon).

User Info Menu

Hope you like it! Sorry, got to this post late...but I think you made a good decision.

I had a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambiance for several years. Plugged in, it was the best acoustic pickup system I ever used. But playing it unplugged for practice wasn't enjoyable, as the guitar was heavy and didn't feel like playing an acoustic guitar. I sold it when the gig I had been using it for dried up.

I replaced it with two Yamahas that I'm very happy with.

User Info Menu

I actually like the mellow acoustic volume of the Duet as it allows me to discreetly warm up preconcert. For pure acoustic playing I have several concert classicals including a couple of vintage Yamaha GC models. Their high end classical guitars made in the late 70s-mid 80s are awesome bargains if you can find them.

User Info Menu

I had a Godin Multiac SA for years and sold it when I tried the Cordoba Stage. Better sound, acoustic sound is good enough for practicing without an amp, and it is a third of the cost

I see they now offer a Natural finish option which I would have gone with over the flame top model I have if it was available then

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Which Yamaha guitars did you get?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Which Yamaha guitars did you get?
    I currently have an NTX-1 and CG-TA. So basically a crossover and a more traditional feel, with different electronics. I like them both a lot.

User Info Menu

I currently have an NTX-1 and CG-TA. So basically a crossover and a more traditional feel, with different electronics. I like them both a lot.

Thanks, I've been looking for something similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Thanks, I've been looking for something similar.
    Which style are you thinking about?

User Info Menu

Hope you like it! Sorry, got to this post late...but I think you made a good decision.

I had a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambiance for several years. Plugged in, it was the best acoustic pickup system I ever used. But playing it unplugged for practice wasn't enjoyable, as the guitar was heavy and didn't feel like playing an acoustic guitar. I sold it when the gig I had been using it for dried up.

That's interesting. I had the Godin Multiac nylon many years ago and never could settle with the sound somehow. Never bonded with it, which I know is flakey but it just never stuck to me, so I sold it. I have a Cordoba acoustic-electric that has the traditional classical fingerboard and a cutaway, but I just can't do the 2 inch wide flat fingerboard anymore. I want my guitars to generally feel similar, so radiused fingerboards and widths' more like steel-string guitars is my choice.

What I'd love is something that feels just like my Telecaster but with nylon strings!

User Info Menu

Multiac and Duet Ambiance electronics are very different.

I don't think you'd want to go any narrower that what will be on that Cordoba. Nylon treble strings are much thicker than steel, can feel crowded on anything less than 1 7/8 in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Multiac and Duet Ambiance electronics are very different.

I don't think you'd want to go any narrower that what will be on that Cordoba. Nylon treble strings are much thicker than steel, can feel crowded on anything less than 1 7/8 in my opinion.
    I figured that was the case. The Cordoba has 48mm nut which is basically in between my ES175 and a regular classical. I guess watching Pat Metheny play the heck out of a nylon stringed guitar last Monday night really got to me! His "Dreambox" tour is a wonderful evening for any guitar players in the audience. It's kind of a celebration of the guitar itself. He did several pieces on what I think was a standard nylon stringed guitar (Linda Manzer build, likely), but then whipped out a baritone guitar with nylon strings but with the middle two strings tuned up an octave (?). It was quite stunning to watch and listen to him playing that.

User Info Menu

48mm should feel great.

Metheny has used that tuning on steel too...sounds huge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Oh, I like that. And it has a 44mm nut. I wonder if you can get a more traditional finish.
    I think so, they seem to have also made a model with a plain maple top and traditional finish, though IIRC with different electronics. The model I have came in a couple different colors, but I don’t think in a plain, or traditional finish. Tears also makes nylons with more traditional bodies with sound holes. In Japan, Birdland Guitars handles the line.

有限会社バードランド

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6 is a wonderful instrument. It feels more or less like a very lightweight nylon string Tele. The 18v preamp has a lot of headroom and a better tone than most piezo pickups. There are two versions, one with a classicalish neck (flat, wide but electric guitar thin) and the other with a hybrid neck which (radiused, 1 11/16).
    I am still pleased with my Michael Kelly Rick Turner N6 guitar.