The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    What strings for an electric nylon string guitar? Going to try hard nylon, normal carbon, and hard carbon to see about feel and sound because in the end you have to experiment. But wanted to see what others were doing.
    From my own experience, on an electric nylons, normal tension yields a more authentic Spanish "twang." On acoustic nylons, you want the extra volume you get from harder tensions. But on the electrics, it's not necessary.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    That's good to know. (But I wonder, do they also make pedals for singers now? )
    Well the funny thing is the amp has two channels. One is for acoustic guitar, the other is for singers and it has a harmoniser which is based on the the Boss PS-6 Harmoniser Pedal.

As you no doubt know, acoustic amps are basically mini P.A.s

The function on the amp that takes out the piezo "quack" is called "Acoustic resonance"... there are three settings for it... I think it cures about 90% of it. I hear hints of it occasionally - but it's a vast improvement.

User Info Menu

Here's another very cool modern design, Martinez MSCC-14. Comes in a few different wood types. I've never played one, always wanted to.

User Info Menu

Was the Slaman Dome mentioned already? From what I know it has MIDI output, thanks to its RMC Gold PU system.
    And re:. MIDI: HEDSound: Classical Guitar 'Ichiyanagi' - Custom Soundfont (updated / v1_03)

Quote Originally Posted by MrAstro View Post
    Well the funny thing is the amp has two channels. One is for acoustic guitar, the other is for singers and it has a harmoniser which is based on the the Boss PS-6 Harmoniser Pedal.

As you no doubt know, acoustic amps are basically mini P.A.s
    I could have guessed.

I do know there are amps where one of the channels gets a different (or no) treatment, from what I understand a typical guitar amp isn't exactly intended to have even close to a "poor man's audiophile" frequency response, but can't say I have a precise idea of that a "PA" really is beyond an "in-house amplification system".

In that light I was a little bit surprised that a broader and supposedly more neutral frequency response would be able to cure piezo quack as it is usually very present in direct-in recordings. But if there's a fancy filter then yeah, I know that can get rid of most of it.
    (The question then becomes a bit why singers would need that particular filter but that's a different topic.)

User Info Menu

Rick Turner is on top of my wish list.
    I used for the last 20 years Gibson Chet Atkins which has a classical size neck and is quite heavy. But it always sounds good even in the line input.
    Here latest live recording with it via Kemper profiled API preamp:
    Unsupported browser

Here some older video via acoustic LAR amp:

Reccently I bought Sadowsky which has more electric style neck and is much lighter. Still in the testing and "getting to know each other" phase, sounds equally fantastic to Gibson but I need to test it live.

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-zrzut-ekranu-2024-04-14-o-14-26-52-jpg

User Info Menu

While I look forward to more news (I find myself in similar thoughts of getting an electric nylon) of the newly acquired guitar it occurs to me that a whole new can of worms may reside in the question as to what strings are preferable for the task? Is there a clear and easy answer to this question or is it as complicated as when applied to electrics?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro View Post
    While I look forward to more news (I find myself in similar thoughts of getting an electric nylon) of the newly acquired guitar it occurs to me that a whole new can of worms may reside in the question as to what strings are preferable for the task? Is there a clear and easy answer to this question or is it as complicated as when applied to electrics?

I would suggest the "La Bella 413P - Studio" Professional Recording Strings. They are a classical set with a flat winding on the wound strings. Although the winding is flat they still maintain the flexibility and feel of a classical string. They work very well on piezo equipped classical guitars as they seem to almost totally eliminate the noise - finger squeak that is very common with piezo pickups and traditional classical strings.

There are others here in the forum that use this string set. I first found out about these in this forum.

Enjoy the new guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM View Post
    I would suggest the "La Bella 413P - Studio" Professional Recording Strings. They are a classical set with a flat winding on the wound strings. Although the winding is flat they still maintain the flexibility and feel of a classical string. They work very well on piezo equipped classical guitars as they seem to almost totally eliminate the noise - finger squeak that is very common with piezo pickups and traditional classical strings.

There are others here in the forum that use this string set. I first found out about these in this forum.

Enjoy the new guitar!
    Thanks! That squeak on the wound strings is something I dislike about playing nylon strings.

User Info Menu

sheer poetry with those hands

User Info Menu

Here's a video where you can hear (2) electric classical guitars. Kirk Sand Mahogany, Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6H