The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What I'd love is something that feels just like my Telecaster but with nylon strings!
    That would be the Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6H. But it is an expensive experiment. And you've already selected one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I am still pleased with my Michael Kelly Rick Turner N6 guitar.
    I forgot about the Michael Kelly versions of this that Rick Turner licensed to them. Do they still produce that?

User Info Menu

Want it to be just like your Tele eh?
    The other way to do this is to use your Telecaster with a synth/hex pickup to drive you choice of digital sound source. The sounds are very realistic.

For myself I still like the neck on my Ovation 1614 Country Classic, 1 7/8s, 14 frets clear, mid depth bowl. I've used on loud rock/fusion gigs without feedback problems.

At home I love my old Bjartons for nylon, I'm planning on putting K&K Pure Classics in one but can't comment yet.

User Info Menu

Sadowsky also makes a Tele style nylon. Many great reviews. Also expensive.

- Sadowsky Guitars

Sadowsky nylon - Google Search

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I forgot about the Michael Kelly versions of this that Rick Turner licensed to them. Do they still produce that?
    No, word is that the quality of these guitars has declined since Sam Ash Music bought the company in 2018. I have an older one made in South Korea, they're now made in China and Indonesia.

https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/

User Info Menu

It's not on the MK site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb

I see they now offer a Natural finish option which I would have gone with over the flame top model I have if it was available then
    Yeah, and I believe it's a solid cedar top with no laminate. ICBW.

User Info Menu

I could not see it listed nor did I see any on Reverb.

Not sure if this listing is still active. It looks GC might have in on Las Vegas.

Used Michael Kelly N6 Classical Acoustic Guitar Natural | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

I contacted the current incarnation of the Michael Kelly company recently in an attempt to gather information on one of their early guitar models and they told me they could tell me nothing at all about any of their models manufactured before 2018 (when they bought the company).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Sadowsky also makes a Tele style nylon. Many great reviews. Also expensive.

- Sadowsky Guitars

Sadowsky nylon - Google Search

ps - The bridge design looks super cool, puts more string down-force onto the saddle. Still very much $$$ for what it is. Keef uses one and can afford it.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-11-2024 at 05:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Why is it 'read thread.. buy gear'?

Picking up a Cordoba Stage in the morning from a local seller. Price was good enough to push me over the edge. Should be pretty good for Bossa Nova's.

Update: These are really nice. A classy look with tasteful choices in design. More brown burst and not the burgundy some pictures seem to show. Even the gig bag is pretty good. Not a Mono but certainly better than I was expecting. It's in dire need of a set up and I can tell it will take some getting used to coming from the steel string world. But it's fun stuff and this appears to be a good entry point.

Nylon Stringed Electrics?-dsc_1069-jpg
    Last edited by Spook410; 04-12-2024 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post

Picking up a Cordoba Stage in the morning from a local seller. Price was good enough to push me over the edge. Should be pretty good for Bossa Nova's.
    To quote the "Indiana Jones" film, "He chose wisely."

User Info Menu

So my Cordoba Stage arrived yesterday, paid $699 for it which I thought was a very good price. Spent a little time with initial set-up, but overall I'm loving it. I hope to do a clip or two demo'ing the guitar sometime next week. The neck is still a tad wide for me but I think it's something I can adjust to, still narrower than my traditional amplified classical.
    Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_4531-jpg

User Info Menu

Looking forward to hearing your views.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So my Cordoba Stage arrived yesterday, paid $699 for it which I thought was a very good price. Spent a little time with initial set-up, but overall I'm loving it. I hope to do a clip or two demo'ing the guitar sometime next week. The neck is still a tad wide for me but I think it's something I can adjust to, still narrower than my traditional amplified classical.
    Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_4531-jpg
    Are you playing it through the Twin Reverb? I’ve never run these nylon A/Es through a tube amp, just through an acoustic amp like the Fishman Artist. It certainly shines with the Fishman.

User Info Menu

Oh, btw, be sure to unplug the guitar when not playing. Otherwise the battery will run down quickly—battery not connected when the guitar is unplugged.

User Info Menu

What strings for an electric nylon string guitar? Going to try hard nylon, normal carbon, and hard carbon to see about feel and sound because in the end you have to experiment. But wanted to see what others were doing.

User Info Menu

What strings for an electric nylon string guitar? Going to try hard nylon, normal carbon, and hard carbon to see about feel and sound because in the end you have to experiment. But wanted to see what others were doing.
    I put these on mine—La Bella Blacks. They LOOK awesome, IMO—black with gold.

Access to this page has been denied.

I’ve had them on 6-8 months, and IMO they haven’t lost much brightness. Not that you really want that much brightness with an electric, otherwise the piezo quack becomes an issue. A little tone adjustment on the guitar or amp will compensate for string aging for quite awhile.

User Info Menu

FWIW I didn't like the sound of my Godin Multiac Nylon SA but I wasn't playing it through a proper acoustic amp... I bought a Boss Acoustic Singer Professional Acoustic Amp and it was night and day better sounding. I really like the sound now... took 95% of the piezo "brittleness" out of the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Multiac and Duet Ambiance electronics are very different.

I don't think you'd want to go any narrower that what will be on that Cordoba. Nylon treble strings are much thicker than steel, can feel crowded on anything less than 1 7/8 in my opinion.
    I agree with that. I tried a nylon-string Fuchs that seemed cool but I think they use the same neck as on their steel strings and it felt cramped. I decided I wouldn't want less than 48mm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrAstro View Post
    I bought a Boss Acoustic Singer Professional Acoustic Amp and it was night and day better sounding. I really like the sound now... took 95% of the piezo "brittleness" out of the sound.
    That's good to know. (But I wonder, do they also make pedals for singers now? )

Quote Originally Posted by Blkat View Post
    I tried a nylon-string Fuchs that seemed cool but I think they use the same neck as on their steel strings and it felt cramped. I decided I wouldn't want less than 48mm.
    Furch, maybe? I know they have silly-narrow necks on their otherwise good-sounding nylon stringers.

And yes, 48 mm is the minimum. Though it's possible to get the same string spacing on a 45mm (1.75") nut, but that puts the E strings really close to the edge which can become a bottleneck unless you like the effect of pulling/pushing those over the edge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Furch, maybe? I know they have silly-narrow necks on their otherwise good-sounding nylon stringers.

And yes, 48 mm is the minimum. Though it's possible to get the same string spacing on a 45mm (1.75") nut, but that puts the E strings really close to the edge which can become a bottleneck unless you like the effect of pulling/pushing those over the edge.
    Right! Furch. I dropped a letter.

Since we're spending your money for you, there's also the Buscarino Starlight. But that's rather expensive.

Fausto Mesolella played a thinline nylon string electric for years. Beautiful and well-worn guitar. No clue on who made it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blkat View Post
    Right! Furch. I dropped a letter.

Since we're spending your money for you, there's also the Buscarino Starlight. But that's rather expensive.
    I was just about to ask whether anyone had any experience with the Buscarino Starlight nylon. Some clips sound fantastic, others not so much.

User Info Menu

Update: These are really nice. A classy look with tasteful choices in design. More brown burst and not the burgundy some pictures seem to show. Even the gig bag is pretty good. Not a Mono but certainly better than I was expecting. It's in dire need of a set up and I can tell it will take some getting used to coming from the steel string world. But it's fun stuff and this appears to be a good entry point.
    Actually those vary quite a bit from each piece to each. In person I've seen everything from light brown burst to dark burgundy burst, and anything in between. Even the natural amber models vary quite a bit from a light natural to almost yellow.

The bag is pretty decent, as long as you're not brutally rough with it. But I think it's the COOLEST looking bag ever. Like a jean jacket with leather trim.

Yes, off the shelf they need a setup badly. Luckily there's plenty of room for adjustment on the rod, nut, and bridge. I worked on mine little by little over the course of a few days. Ended up taking down the saddle quite a bit (filed from the bottom), deepened the nut slots a bit, and just ever so slight a relief near the nut end of the neck, the rest straight. Plays effortlessly.

User Info Menu

Recently started using these and I think I found my keeper strings for nylon electrics. I like the feel and sound of the polished wound strings.
    Nylon Stringed Electrics?-img_6424-jpegNylon Stringed Electrics?-img_6373-jpeg