The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Cage Match: Gibson 175 vs Gibson L4CES over Alone Together. WHO WINS??? Leave a comment!

I wanted to capture the 175 and L4CES just to hear which one I prefer (if any). The first up is the 175.
    Which one do you prefer? Leave in the comments.

0:00 Gibson 175
    1:25 Gibson L4CES

#sheetsofsound #halfdiminished #min7b5
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonArchtop

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think I prefer the L4, at least in that mix. The 175 seems somewhat muffled/buried there. You also seem to be playing the L4 a little more energetically.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think I prefer the L4, at least in that mix. The 175 seems somewhat muffled/buried there. You also seem to be playing the L4 a little more energetically.
    regarding your latter point, i'm not sure why but I feel funny playing the 175 with more energy. Also, I wasn't as warmed up when i did the 175 clip. I think the darker tone of the 175 makes me feel less like doubling up the time...

User Info Menu

Well overall they both have similar tonality to my ears. I think it comes down to how it feels to you the player. Also the laminate will probably be able to handle feedback in loud situations more easily.

User Info Menu

They both sound great in your hands, Jack. I love them both, but I especially like the L-5-like ‘bark’ the L-4 has when you dig in a little. I have to choose L-4 in this comparison.

User Info Menu

Both sound great! Slight nod to the 175 from my ears!

User Info Menu

They are both pretty close, but I give the L4 a bit more clarity probably due to solid spruce top. Either way they both work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    regarding your latter point, i'm not sure why but I feel funny playing the 175 with more energy. Also, I wasn't as warmed up when i did the 175 clip. I think the darker tone of the 175 makes me feel less like doubling up the time...
    Seems like you're saying your prefer the L4 there. But I think considering all that you've said online about 175's over the years, another guitar can only "beat" one for you temporarily.

User Info Menu

Seems like the L4 is more even across the range of strings and pitches. I love both, but for me maybe the L4 has a slight edge.

User Info Menu

L4 slightly does it for me but pretty much a toss up.

User Info Menu

Mos Def the L4, no contest for my ears, in this listening situation.

User Info Menu

A toss up for me.

User Info Menu

L4 this time.

If you get the chance to do some chord melody, that what be interesting too. Then a finale with the GB10 in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    A toss up for me.
    I know you're a big 175 fan so that says a lot coming from you. It's tough call for me. I think the tone and articulation of the 175 pushes me to play a certain way, possibly because I've listened to and transcribed so much pat metheny. And I find myself fighting it a lot on the 175.

About 7-8 years ago, I bought a Gibson Wes and it sounded so much like wes' tone that it "caused" me to try to play more in that style which I struggled with. For me, the kessel and L4 don't force my hand as much as the 175....

User Info Menu

I enjoyed both the 175 and the L4 tones. Yes, the 175 was a bit more muffled (thick, thunky, etc.) than the L4. However, in a band setting I think the L4 would cut through slightly better. Maybe it was your slightly more energetic playing on the L4, but it also seemed to have subtle but sweet overtones.

Great job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I know you're a big 175 fan so that says a lot coming from you. It's tough call for me. I think the tone and articulation of the 175 pushes me to play a certain way, possibly because I've listened to and transcribed so much pat metheny. And I find myself fighting it a lot on the 175.

About 7-8 years ago, I bought a Gibson Wes and it sounded so much like wes' tone that it "caused" me to try to play more in that style which I struggled with. For me, the kessel and L4 don't force my hand as much as the 175....
    You have to play the guitar that supports the music in your head rather than the guitar that makes you play something else.

User Info Menu

L4 has better note separation to my ears but to me the 175 always sounds so mysterious and interesting. So cool, so the 175 wins me over. I have one from 91 btw.

User Info Menu

The ES-175, for me. Not even close.

User Info Menu

The L4 is a little higher in the mix and a little brighter. It would be interesting to hear the piece w/o the organ track. That said, I prefer the ES. Nice playing!

User Info Menu

Great playing.

I like the L-4CES, it has a more defined sound to my ears, but the 175 has more of the 1950-60's classic Jazz guitar sound.

User Info Menu

Very close call. With my eyes closed I like the 175 a tad better.

User Info Menu

Hard to notice the difference--but, the L4 sounds softer.

Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

The L4. I feel like if you did this with the 175, the L4 and the Benson, the L4 would sit in the middle with more clarity and snap than the 175 but more warmth than the Benson. Kind of the best of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    The L4. I feel like if you did this with the 175, the L4 and the Benson, the L4 would sit in the middle with more clarity and snap than the 175 but more warmth than the Benson. Kind of the best of both.
    agreed.

I'll do one more with the kessel and L4 but I may have to start over if the 1989 175 arrives tomorrow and I bond with it...

Here's the kessel