Anyone handled the new Epis?-kzz4dpcgol5dvyi5dckncyhvom-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    What's worse, we all seem to look like this:
    Psychanalyse that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Psychanalyse that!
    Lord knows I've tried, but after a short while I get dizzy and have to sit down.

User Info Menu

What's worse, we all seem to look like this:
    How did you get my picture? Is the deep state selling them along with email addresses?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    How did you get my picture? Is the deep state selling them along with email addresses?
    Deep state? No. Deep dish? Hell yeah!
    Anyone handled the new Epis?-360_f_671032646_qizqdbmwdgjylb98ffus6ug8vsyzva83-jpg

User Info Menu

Lord knows I've tried, but after a short while I get dizzy and have to sit down.
    File it under "unhappy youth" and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    How did you get my picture?
    Funny, I tried and could imagine whole legions of that guy in all kinds of situations, but not on either side of the podium of a jazz performance (or any kind of music with obvious roots that would, erm, stand out in the soil).

Deep dish?
    Funny again, I love me some comfort & cowboy cooking food, made skillet pizzas etc. but there's a limit to the amount of "liquid" cheese and other fats that I'm comfortable with...

This however...

User Info Menu

So...has anyone handled the new Epi's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack View Post
    So...has anyone handled the new Epi's?
    There was this thread at the Gear Page
    Did Gibson make a mistake….. with Epiphones….. | Page 2 | The Gear Page

People seem quite pleased with those new Epis. What if they did a "new" Epi ES-175 ?

User Info Menu

All this talk about imports has made me wonder again about the Walkin' Archtop Tributes.... those sure look and sound to be a great value and seem to be made entirely in Japan. I'm set for archtops, but if I was looking for a single pickup 175, I would seriously try to get my hands on one of those.

One thing that my picky eyes detected (of no value whatsoever, but indicative of my anality; is that a word?) .... the epi 335's do NOT have the appropriate Mickey Mouse ear profiles, which as everyone knows, is a fundamental part of the vintage tone equation. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried one of the IBG's yet, so can't comment specifically. Overall, I find Epi vs Gibson a very strange subject. Gibson on the headstock + made in the USA somehow activates different neurons and "I want this" centers of the brain in many people (including myself, I'm ashamed to admit) from Epi on the headstock + MIA, irrespective of the actual build quality, playability, and sound of the instrument.

I don't have that with other brands. E.g., I have a MIC Eastman acoustic (equivalent to a Taylor 412ce), MIK D'Angelico (more or less a 355 copy) , and a MIJ Seventy Seven (L5-level ornamentation, 175 size, lam spruce top). None leaves me yearning for the "real" thing or with a sense of compromise/shorting myself. But I know that any flavor of modern Epi would, irrespective of how good the Epi is (except that maybe an IBG LP with a gloss nitro finish and solid maple cap would erase this prejudice). And I know this even with having played, e.g., Epi Les Pauls that play and sound fantastic and are functionally indistinguishable from a Gibson. It's just weird, and frankly more than a little disturbing how effective this kind of branding is.

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox View Post
    All this talk about imports has made me wonder again about the Walkin' Archtop Tributes.... those sure look and sound to be a great value and seem to be made entirely in Japan. I'm set for archtops, but if I was looking for a single pickup 175, I would seriously try to get my hands on one of those.

One thing that my picky eyes detected (of no value whatsoever, but indicative of my anality; is that a word?) .... the epi 335's do NOT have the appropriate Mickey Mouse ear profiles, which as everyone knows, is a fundamental part of the vintage tone equation. Just sayin'.
    They look like the mickey mouse ears to me. What am I missing? The Sheraton II pro I had was exacting dimensions with an 03 ES333 and these are the same body shape with what I thought were mickey ears. I stacked one on top of the other just to check one day when I still had the Gibson. I had an Epi 335 pro as well, also an exact match to those. They are also the same shape as my Edwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
    They look like the mickey mouse ears to me. .
    Yup. Have always LOVED the TONE of the 335: it's unique amongst all others IMO. But I HATE those Mickey Mouse horns! And also, at this point in my life, I like more normal-sized guitars; large lower bouts just don't "feel like home" to me the way a telecaster does. I love my Gretsch, but I'd never play it live with my band (standing up), I MIGHT play it sitting down (if I ever did that kind of gig), but truth be told, I'd still rather have one of my teles.

User Info Menu

This page explains what I see:

The Gibson ES-335 >> Blog Archive >> M-I-C-K-E-Y…Why? Because we like you. M-O-U-S-E

The pic on the right upper is the real deal mickey mouse ear configuration. Too pointy and not only do my fingers start to cramp, but I start blowing preamp tubes... And then my watch starts running backwards. Helluva thing.

The epi's are close, but my eagle eyes spy just a hint of pointiness... game over for me.

https://media.sweetwater.com/m/produ...4d6ebf76e40240

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    Yup. Have always LOVED the TONE of the 335: it's unique amongst all others IMO. But I HATE those Mickey Mouse horns! And also, at this point in my life, I like more normal-sized guitars; large lower bouts just don't "feel like home" to me the way a telecaster does. I love my Gretsch, but I'd never play it live with my band (standing up), I MIGHT play it sitting down (if I ever did that kind of gig), but truth be told, I'd still rather have one of my teles.
    I love those big semi hollows. When you're 6'4" and 200+ lbs a telecaster looks like you were taking a canoe trip and someone got a photo of you with your paddle. If I played one of those I'd have to put one of those orange life vests on around my neck. Great sounding guitars but I've grown to love the compression of humbuckers and that big ES body fits me good. It's like standard issue blues rig, ES into Twin but strangely with those two vol two tone controls somewhere in there is still a place you can find your own voice rather than just imitating the voice of the masters.

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox View Post
    This page explains what I see:

The Gibson ES-335 >> Blog Archive >> M-I-C-K-E-Y…Why? Because we like you. M-O-U-S-E

The pic on the right upper is the real deal mickey mouse ear configuration. Too pointy and not only do my fingers start to cramp, but I start blowing preamp tubes... And then my watch starts running backwards. Helluva thing.

The epi's are close, but my eagle eyes spy just a hint of pointiness... game over for me.

https://media.sweetwater.com/m/produ...4d6ebf76e40240
    I just don't really see it? I don't have any problem with the mouse ears or the pointier variety. I just don't like when they chop down the body size to fit a bunch of mini-me's. The Eastmans are all smaller. The Collings are an inch smaller. For the kind of money Collings wants I want an inch or two bigger across the top. For me that is a deal breaker.

User Info Menu

Love my 335, but have to give credit to the original mystery plank for defying physics. A Tele can do ALMOST anything well, with the right amp and in the right hands. Like some sonic vortex portal of auditory mysticism. God was working through Leo Fender when he twisted some neurons in his brain, causing him to reach for a plank of wood, slap some prehistoric electronics into it and usher in a new era of sonic wonder.

I'm 6'4" myself, but a svelt 190. Love the way my L5 follows the contours of my aging (yet manly) ribcage, but it's just as exciting to feel that prehistoric slab of ash bruising my ribs while those 11 gauge strings are shredding my calluses. Makes me work harder and I come away from the Tele feeling more manly!

Okay, I've had my fun, carry on.

User Info Menu

I love those big semi hollows. When you're 6'4" and 200+ lbs a telecaster looks like you were taking a canoe trip and someone got a photo of you with your paddle. If I played one of those I'd have to put one of those orange life vests on around my neck. Great sounding guitars but I've grown to love the compression of humbuckers and that big ES body fits me good. It's like standard issue blues rig, ES into Twin but strangely with those two vol two tone controls somewhere in there is still a place you can find your own voice rather than just imitating the voice of the masters.
    HAHA! Well that explains it, I'm 5'8" and 175...

User Info Menu

I just don't really see it? I don't have any problem with the mouse ears or the pointier variety. I just don't like when they chop down the body size to fit a bunch of mini-me's. The Eastmans are all smaller. The Collings are an inch smaller. For the kind of money Collings wants I want an inch or two bigger across the top. For me that is a deal breaker.
    Ah, grasshopper.... keep staring and chanting, "fifty nyun, fifty nyun, fifty nyun....." after an hour or two, the subtle mystery will reveal itself.

Totally agree on the Collings thing. But I'm afraid to play one because I might like it, and then, well the whole mouse thing... a quandary.

I was driven crazy by my 175 vos when I bought it a few years back. Something did not look right. A buddy has a real '59, so we measured them both and sure enough, the upper bout was nearly 3/4" narrower on the reissue. Love the guitar anyway. The 63's have the correct upper bout curve configuration to my eye.

User Info Menu

During my last year selling guitars, I seem to recall us getting an IBG 335 in stock and it being unnoteworthy, but I might be misremembering.
    I wouldn't categorically shy away from Chinese-made instruments as I am very happy with my 7-string Altamira guitar.

A cut corner is a cut corner both in USA, China, and Italy. It's interesting to note that my Gibson ES-139 cost $1200 in 2015. Its quality control was on-par with a $400 guitar but what it had was that magic.

User Info Menu

Open book headstock with Epiphone name makes it a hard pass for me. It just looks wrong.

User Info Menu

I wonder if they'll make an Epi LP Jr. (with single P90)? I'd be in for one of those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
    Open book headstock with Epiphone name makes it a hard pass for me. It just looks wrong.
    Why? Epi was using that headstock long before Gibson bought them. My 1950 Devon has it. It’s a historically correct Epi headstock. From about 1939.

NY Epi Reg - The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry

Anyone handled the new Epis?-img_9525-jpeg

User Info Menu

And don't you just love those oval fretboard inlays? I do.

User Info Menu

It’s a fabulous instrument.