The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 109 of 109

User Info Menu

The headstock that Gibson put on the later Epis is what looks wrong to me. The original Epi headstock was known as the moustache, not open book, because it's subtly different, a little more of a dip, like the profile of an old-fashioned moustache.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    The headstock that Gibson put on the later Epis is what looks wrong to me. The original Epi headstock was known as the moustache, not open book, because it's subtly different, a little more of a dip, like the profile of an old-fashioned moustache.
    exactly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d View Post
    There was this thread at the Gear Page
    Did Gibson make a mistake….. with Epiphones….. | Page 2 | The Gear Page

People seem quite pleased with those new Epis. What if they did a "new" Epi ES-175 ?
    Especially since Gibson isn’t making new ES175’s. But I’m keeping my Epi ES175 Premium, thin neck and all. Great guitar!

Anyone handled the new Epis?-img_2420-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Especially since Gibson isn’t making new ES175’s. But I’m keeping my Epi ES175 Premium, thin neck and all. Great guitar!

Anyone handled the new Epis?-img_2420-jpg
    I have an Epi premium with the wine red color,plays great,sounds and looks great. Considering the measly sum i paid for it compared to my other guitars shows you don't have to spend a small fortune to get a fine guitar.I'm sure at some point in the near future,Gibson will start making 175's again in limited quantities with some absurd price tag.

I think this is the classiest mass produced headstock ever. The string pull looks fairly straight as well.

User Info Menu

I'm amused by this preciosity about headstock shapes. Epiphone has been all over the place, but so has Gibson, especially pre-war. Not to forget Yamaha (I love the SA2200 headstock, not others) or Ibanez. To me, anything symmetrical goes, especially considering how masculine-ugly all 7-string takes are.

Edit: Forgot to wisecrack something about the unique Martin headstock.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-29-2024 at 02:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I have never bought, nor refused to buy, any guitar just because of the headstock. I'm unable to see how the headstock shape affects tone or playability. If that were on the list, it would be near the bottom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Edit: Forgot to wisecrack something about the unique Martin headstock.
    Uniquely uninspired?

I'm unable to see how the headstock shape affects tone or playability.
    Neck material apparently affects tone so I wouldn't be surprised if headstock weight has some effect too (try fixing sufficiently heavy sufficiently solidly and have a listen?). Playability is more evident: some of those Art Deco inspired contraptions must weigh enough to affect balance. And while using a strap may prevent the instrument from toppling you must still feel it in your shoulder.

User Info Menu

Weight, yes. Specific shape details, no.