The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Which guitar is better? Ibanez GB10 vs Gibson L4CES

I have a student working on Doxy so I did a couple of bluesy/funky jazz takes on it with both instruments.

Which sound do you like better?

Combined:

Ibanez GB10:

Gibson L4CES:

#sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #jazzblues #funkyjazz
    #IbanezGuitars #IbanezBenson #gibsonarchtop #gibsonguitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For myself I tend to gravitate toward midrange-prominent tones, so I'd probably prefer the L4, but in other people it really comes down to which guitar seems to allow them to express themselves better. Your playing seems a little more constrained by the L4 and a little freer with the GB here, so I guess the GB is better in this case?
    Last edited by John A.; 04-05-2024 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    For myself I tend to gravitate toward midrange-prominent tones, so I'd probably prefer the L4, but in other people it really comes down to which guitar seems to allow them to express themselves better. Your playing seems a little more constrained by the L4 and a little freer with the GBhere, so I guess the GB is better in this case?
    The neck fits my hands on the GB10 and it's had a fret level, whereas I haven't gotten the L4 into see my luthier yet. Hopefully soon.

But I think I agree with you. I probably had the tone control backed off too far on the L4 for my tastes. It sounds a little better up at 7 or 8 and I think it was at 5 on this clip

User Info Menu

I like the GB honestly. It's more out front cuts better. The L4 blends in to the mix too much. I'm probably in the minority here but, a little clarity works nice for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I like the GB honestly. It's more out front cuts better. The L4 blends in to the mix too much. I'm probably in the minority here but, a little clarity works nice for me.
    When I hear other people play with that sort of more cutting sound I usually like it, but in my own hands I always find myself dialing the treble back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    When I hear other people play with that sort of more cutting sound I usually like it, but in my own hands I always find myself dialing the treble back.
    All depends on how you play and what you want to hear. Jack Z plays with really good command, fast and articulate. If your soloing, which he is in these cuts, my thought is you should be out front. Blending when the rest of the group is having their way. Lot's of people like that "wet blanket sound though" sound though. That's really a overstatement lol.

User Info Menu

Well, both would be tones I'd be completely happy with.

I think of those records Jimmy and Doug Raney made together...their tones were very similar...but not the same...

For the funky, hard bop style paying the GB has a little more "pop" to the notes, which I like a LOT.

User Info Menu

I think people have already nailed this but ... In isolation I prefer the sound of the L4 but I'm pretty sure that the GB would cut through a full band much better. So I don't think its really a question of which is better but rather they each have their own value and they have almost no overlap in function. The Gibson would probably sound great playing a solo ballad but the Benson would be much more useful playing up tempo tunes with a 5 piece band.

User Info Menu

They both sound great.

User Info Menu

Indeed they both sound great but I definitely prefer the GB10.

User Info Menu

It's interesting how much difference is there in the recorded sound between the two guitars. Nice job. Sometimes people manage to make a Tele and a vintage L5 sound very similar in comparison videos somehow. Here you really captured the character of each guitar very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think people have already nailed this but ... In isolation I prefer the sound of the L4 but I'm pretty sure that the GB would cut through a full band much better. So I don't think its really a question of which is better but rather they each have their own value and they have almost no overlap in function. The Gibson would probably sound great playing a solo ballad but the Benson would be much more useful playing up tempo tunes with a 5 piece band.
    yeah, that makes sense. I agree. I think the GB is a better overall guitar because it's more comfortable, better action (at least until I can get a fret level done on the Gibson), more comfortable neck, etc. And then it doesn't feedback as much, etc...

The L4 has more of the classic '60s jazz guitar sound. I wish I could dial the GB's brightness back a tad.

User Info Menu

"I wish I could dial the GB's brightness back a tad"

There's got to be a way but, then, I haven't taken mine off the neck since I got it - sounds great. Maybe I should turn on the bridge PU and try some Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    "I wish I could dial the GB's brightness back a tad"

There's got to be a way but, then, I haven't taken mine off the neck since I got it - sounds great. Maybe I should turn on the bridge PU and try some Merle Haggard
    I'm using exclusively the neck pickup, tone rolled down to about 5 and it's a 9.3k biltoff, full-size width (not depth) humbucker and not the mini. The biltoff is way darker than the stock pickup.

It's just a bright guitar. Small body, spruce top, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, maple back/sides.

The full size PAF and mahogany neck and bigger body contribute to the darker sound of the L4

User Info Menu

I prefer the warmer, more round tone of the Gibson. It has a closer sound to Joe Pass's "Intercontinental" sound and that is my benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I prefer the warmer, more round tone of the Gibson. It has a closer sound to Joe Pass's "Intercontinental" sound and that is my benchmark.
    Yep, if I could get that sound with the smaller guitar I'd be in heaven. Damn physics bites me in the butt !

User Info Menu

Jack, did you have to alter the guitar at all to put Pete's pickup in?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Jack, did you have to alter the guitar at all to put Pete's pickup in?
    no other than the pickguard

User Info Menu

Nothin' new to add. I'm happy to listen to either. In my hands I'd probably gravitate to the L4, but in this groove the GB sounds so very correct. I'm afraid you'll have to keep them both.

User Info Menu

It'd also be nice to see a similar comparison of L4 with your new ES175.

User Info Menu

The GB is the winner in this comparison because it responds well your style. Extremely responsive. The L4 can be the same, but you’d have to confirm to it and not let it conform to you. You can’t play the 2 guitars the same way.
    That said, I LOVE the sound of the L4. There is more sound around the notes whereas the GB is extremely focused.
    Whenever I played a GB guitar, I felt like a better player.
    Whenever I play a Gibson, I love the sound.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    The GB is the winner in this comparison because it responds well your style. Extremely responsive. The L4 can be the same, but you’d have to confirm to it and not let it conform to you. You can’t play the 2 guitars the same way.
    That said, I LOVE the sound of the L4. There is more sound around the notes whereas the GB is extremely focused.
    Whenever I played a GB guitar, I felt like a better player.
    Whenever I play a Gibson, I love the sound.
    JD
    that analysis is spot on. When I first got the L4, I spent a lot of time on it but now what I do is round-robin my way through a bunch of guitars so I end up playing the L4 about once a week. And it's just different enough that it's harder to play. Not sure why but it's harder to play than my 175 which should be the same dimensions. Pickguard is adjusted the same, action is the same, etc...Neck is fatter on the L4 and there's a larger gap between the pickguard and E string. L4 also has micro frets like the fretless wonder LP deluxe guitars so that might make a diff too...

[EDIT] - I just measured the bodies and the L4 is fatter. It's 3 1/2" at the rim and the 175 is 3 3/8" at the rim...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Yep, if I could get that sound with the smaller guitar I'd be in heaven. Damn physics bites me in the butt !
    You might like one of the GB anniversary models if you can find one. Thicker rims, It a little rounder sounding. Compare the GB10 to a 8" speaker the anniversary models are a 10" speaker if that makes sense to you, still the same personality though.

User Info Menu

I much prefer the warmer sound of the Gibson L4. It was cleaner and warmer with better definition. It seems to float through the tune and changes with a better conviction. The GB 10 certainly was not a bad sound and quite acceptable but given what I heard it would be my choice on the L4.

Jack, you realize that regardless though sound is in the hands and again you make the guitar sound good for sure so probably many would work. But between you and me I would go with the L4. Frankly I would like to hear the same tune using an L5. Can you borrow one and do this or even a super 400? Finally, I would like to hear it on a carved top with a floater, but I know that will be different.

User Info Menu

Does anyone ever mess with the GB10’s adjustment screws on the tailpiece? I love how my GB10 plays, sounds and feels so I see no reason to twiddle those knobs.