The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    Does anyone ever mess with the GB10’s adjustment screws on the tailpiece? I love how my GB10 plays, sounds and feels so I see no reason to twiddle those knobs.
    I do. I've unscrewed them both slightly to reduce downward pressure to give a lighter feel to the strings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both were nice. I preferred the GB 10’s slightly compressed, fatter tone.

User Info Menu

I gotta go with the GB10 on this one. The notes just stand out and it has the perfect amount of attack. Granted that’s also due to your style but the guitar responds really well to it.

The L4 just seems to get lost.

(I’ll check the videos for some chord melody stuff to see if I change position).

i'll have to do another one of these. I think the tone control was down too low on the L4 to really properly capture its vibe.

Here's another clip of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I prefer the warmer, more round tone of the Gibson. It has a closer sound to Joe Pass's "Intercontinental" sound and that is my benchmark.
    I've probably told you this before but I think Joe Pass’s tone in ‘Intercontinental' is the only Pass tone I like. It’s REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    I've probably told you this before but I think Joe Pass’s tone in ‘Intercontinental' is the only Pass tone I like. It’s REALLY good.
    yes, i remember - haha. I think we argued over the joe pass Joy Spring tone which I really like but which is also due largely to very old, dead flatwounds spoiled by cigarette smoke...

User Info Menu

I liked them both - the GB10 has a bit more clarity and the L4 is a little more 'smoky'. I wouldn't turn down either one. I guess I have to like the Ibanez because I have one and it's the first archtop I've ever been comfortable with.

User Info Menu

I like the sound of the GB best due to its greater clarity. But I can't help thinking if you could bring them much closer to each other (maybe not identical bt close) by fiddling with the EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I like the sound of the GB best due to its greater clarity. But I can't help thinking if you could bring them much closer to each other (maybe not identical bt close) by fiddling with the EQ.
    i've tried and it's nearly impossible without losing the qualities that make the ibanez great. It's just a very bright guitar acoustically so eq'ing it to be darker loses it's real properties. I've learned to live with it's brightness

User Info Menu

What the rest of the chain? Direct in?, mic'd amp?, etc.

User Info Menu

Both sound great but I don't like the plunky notes on the lower strings of the GB. So my vote goes to the L4. Great playing btw.

User Info Menu

Hard to find a nicer problem! I always believed that the GB10, if any jazz box meant for the working musician, has the potential to dethrone the ES-175. Now my vote goest to the L4, but I concur with those who feel the the clarity and separation of the GB10 could work better in a band setting. And the ES is even darker. Then, there's the question of playability/ergonomics I'm unable to address. Luckily, my lowly Ibanez AFJ-91 sounds so good that I can't justify a GB10. Actually, I take it to a gig rather than the ES. Vive les différences!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What the rest of the chain? Direct in?, mic'd amp?, etc.
    Guitar->Fractal FM9->direct

Fractal set to princeton, medium spring, ev12L

User Info Menu

I'm hard pressed, Jack, they both sound nice, not one better than the other. I didn't catch what strings you were using, but I assume the same gauge and type? Flats or rounds?

User Info Menu

Joy Spring, Intercontinental, Django = the tone benchmark.