The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Remarkably clean for such a complex build. Just beautiful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vinny great to see it finally at its new home.
    Hope it brings you lots of joy.
    Some nice design choices, certainly looks on par with the Gibson Citation.
    I like the thick top. I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Vinny great to see it finally at its new home.
    Hope it brings you lots of joy.
    Some nice design choices, certainly looks on par with the Gibson Citation.
    I like the thick top. I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
    Yes, I specified a thick top and very tight grain spruce. Mark carved it exactly like I wanted and used a perfect piece of spruce.
    I feel no more GAS in my bones.

User Info Menu

Vinny, how does the thick top effect acoustic volume/tone? Everyones taste in tone is different, does increased top thickness give it a warmer L5 sound?
    very curious about this as I dont have the oportunity to try gits of this caliber not to mention side by side but I know you do. Could it support rhythm in a big band scenario without amplification or solo chord melody in a small venue. Im not sure I could stop staring at it long enough to play it! I ask because its doubtfull I will have a guitar made at this point (GAS is always in the background) but if I did I wouldnt know what specs to request. I was going to ask this in "the builders bench" but since you just got probably the nicest box most will ever see much less play and have gits to compare to, you have a unique view. Glad you shared...gave us all something to dream about.

Yes - a thicker top will give a thicker tone. Also, a tight grain will give a faster response. Both will give a less airy tone and lessen the acoustic volume unplugged. A thick top with tight grain also will give a tighter bass and of course way less feedback.

My Special also has a thick top but has a wide grain on the spruce. It sounds airier. My V1K2 Custom has a thinner top with tighter grain. So, my 3 Campellone's all have the same build specs but sound different unplugged mostly because of the tops IMO.

Mark doesn't brace his guitars heavily like an L-5 so they are naturally brighter than a Gibson is.

A thin top Campellone would probably be too bright for me, so I have always asked for a thicker top from Mark.

Also, his guitars really come alive after a couple years. At home you definitely don't need an amp.

User Info Menu

Ahhhh, Thankyou your one of the few that could speak to that. Great answer, exactly what I was after. I had no idea the spruce grain had that effect and I wanted the top answer from an "apples to apples" point of view. Congrats again for your new masterpiece.

User Info Menu

That is a knockout!!

User Info Menu

Just stunning. Mark made you a piece of fine art. I know it will sing like an angel in your hands.

User Info Menu

That's a lot of cherry syrup and abalone bling bling! You need to do another one in Antique Natural. Being a castrato is so worth it...

That's a stunner, Vinny. Make her sing.

User Info Menu

Vin & Mark:
    THIS is now my favorite. Stunning! Vin, when you’re done with it, leave it to the Smithsonian, where it belongs. That’s just a “pinnacle” piece. I think I need a poster to hang. Mark, Mark, Mark, ….
    …….. ok, I’m speechless. I’ll just go back and oogle it some more.