The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I need a gig bag for a 16" Andersen Streamline archtop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Charley

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a Mono dreadnaught bag for my SelMac's and it is an incredible quality gig bag. I would absolutely recommend you take a look at their products.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I recently purchased a Mono dreadnaught bag for my SelMac's and it is an incredible quality gig bag. I would absolutely recommend you take a look at their products.
    Thanks. I am hoping someone with the same guitar has already gone down this path so I can be sure of the fit. What is a SelMac?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Thanks. I am hoping someone with the same guitar has already gone down this path so I can be sure of the fit. What is a SelMac?
    Selmer/Macafferi (think Django). These are the only guitars I play, but after a quick search, there have been others here that have also purchased them, but for their archtops.

(NGBD) Mono Vertigo gig bag for my 16" archtop
    Archtop 17 " gigbag
    Gig Bag For 16" Archtop

User Info Menu

I need a gig bag for a 16" Andersen Streamline archtop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Charley
    As I recall, the Streamline is a 16x3" body. The Mono Vertigo Acoustic bag is the one for full depth 16s. These are excellent bags and the only ones I use. I have an Acoustic for my full depth 16, a "335" size for my thinner 16" archtops, and a full depth 17" for my Eastman 810CE7. I called Mono at (269) 220-6159? before buying each one to be sure they were the right sizes. They're happy to tell you which of their bags is correct for a specific guitar.

I agree with JSanta and have been very happy with Mono. There are others out there that are probably as good. The Mono neck support just looks to me like a better and more stable system than any of the others I've seen. I used to have a good leather bag for my solid bodies and wanted one for archtops. But I realized that they're probably not as protective as the Mono and they cost more than twice as much. Mono now makes an even stronger line ("Ultra") that's about $75 more than the standard Vertigo. It has small wheels on the bottom and some upgraded materials over the Vertigo. These weren't yet available when I got my bags, but I would have gotten the Vertigos anyway - they're more than I need. The oldest one I have arrived in February 2022 and has been carrying my giging archtop a least once a week without a mark or problem.

User Info Menu

All of the above ! I carry my 16" Trenier in the acoustic bag, my classical guitars, my resonator, my banjo and I own 2 others for my ES-345 and my solidbody guitars.
    Best compromise re protection, weight, practicability and price.

User Info Menu

For the $ Reunion Blues Continental is a good choice as well. But Mono makes great bags for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    As I recall, the Streamline is a 16x3" body. The Mono Vertigo Acoustic bag is the one for full depth 16s. These are excellent bags and the only ones I use. I have an Acoustic for my full depth 16, a "335" size for my thinner 16" archtops, and a full depth 17" for my Eastman 810CE7. I called Mono at (269) 220-6159? before buying each one to be sure they were the right sizes. They're happy to tell you which of their bags is correct for a specific guitar.

I agree with JSanta and have been very happy with Mono. There are others out there that are probably as good. The Mono neck support just looks to me like a better and more stable system than any of the others I've seen. I used to have a good leather bag for my solid bodies and wanted one for archtops. But I realized that they're probably not as protective as the Mono and they cost more than twice as much. Mono now makes an even stronger line ("Ultra") that's about $75 more than the standard Vertigo. It has small wheels on the bottom and some upgraded materials over the Vertigo. These weren't yet available when I got my bags, but I would have gotten the Vertigos anyway - they're more than I need. The oldest one I have arrived in February 2022 and has been carrying my giging archtop a least once a week without a mark or problem.
    I did go with the Ultra and it is a fantastically built bag. It fits both my Busato style and Selmer style guitars, which is not something any hardshells offered. I couldn't be more pleased with it!

User Info Menu

When you place an archtop in a acoustic bag most likely designed for a flat top, do you need to add any additional padding?

User Info Menu

When you place an archtop in a acoustic bag most likely designed for a flat top, do you need to add any additional padding?
    Not for standard transport around town for gigs, etc, but I have never shipped or flown with one. All my 16" archtops have done well in a dreadnaught Mono

User Info Menu

I don't add any, but I used a fiberoptic bore scope to make sure that there's gentle contact between the inside of the top of the bag and the strings at the bridge. That's why I got a "335" bag for my thin 16s. A dread is at least 4" deep and my thin 16s are about 2 1/2", which leaves just enough room for the arch of the top plus the bridge. Similarly, my 17 is a bit over 3" deep and a big 17" acoustic is at least 4 1/4. So there's minimal contact and pressure at the bridge.

The Mono bags hold the bodies and necks snugly, too. If you drop it on its top, the body may slip "up" a tiny bit. I wouldn't carry a 2" deep body in a 5" deep bag, but I'm very confortable with the above. Mono did specifically recommend each of my bags for the guitars I'm putting in them. I did not call them about the first acoustic bag I got, and it is a bit too deep for the thinner bodies. That's why I got a 335 bag for it when I read the specs and saw that it's deep enough. I use the 16" acoustic / dread bag for my jumbo flattop 7 string, and it fits perfectly.

User Info Menu

My RGC Halfling was shipped in a Reunion Blues Voyager-Dreadnaught. I became an instant convert to the Reunion Blues. Access Bags & Cases sells interior padding to shim shallow bodied guitars for deep gigbags and cases. ACCESS Guitar Case Padding: Give Your Gig Bag or Case a Custom Fit

User Info Menu

RB Continental Voyager Semi/Hollow Body Electric Guitar Case 3" Deep. I understand the Andersen Streamline is 3" deep in the rim. But that doesn't take into account the bridge height, arched top and back, and, possibly, steeper neck angle of an archtop.

RB Continental Voyager Dreadnought Case

Better off with a Voyager Dreadnought gigbag and shimming with Access Interior Pads.

User Info Menu

These are the ones I have or have had that I would trust for carrying an archtop (in decreasing order of protectiveness, but all are fine for general carrying around or putting into the trunk of a car; all are better than a plywood hardshell case IMO because they pad and cradle the guitar better). For a 16" archtop dreadnought is usually the best size.

1. Reunion Blues Continental (I have semi-hollow size, but I know many people who have the dreadnought size and am sure it will fit a 16" x 3" archtop). It's like a molded hard case disguised as a gig bag. I'd be OK checking it on plane. Drawbacks: It's quite heavy, and the accessory pocket's tough to open and not as big as it appears. Mine is the original design that carries high on the back (more comfortable, but you have to watch doorways, low flying birds, and GPS satellites); the current version positions the straps differently and doesn't have this issue.

2. Mono M80 (I have the original version from before they were even making the Vertigo version) and use it for my 175-sized archtop. IMO, the perfect balance of comfort, protection, weight, and accessory pockets. The vertigo is probably a little more convenient for loading/unloading the guitar, but in practice I find it easy to load/unload the M80 with the case standing up and it has better accessory pockets. So given the choice today, I'd pick the M80, but some people do prefer the Vertigo

2. (tie with Mono in terms of protection, or maybe a little more protective) Music Area Wind 30 dreadnought bag (I use this for my flattop, but my Mono is about 20 years old, and I'll probably switch the two around at some point). It has a little more in the way of accessory pockets, but it carries higher on the back, so doorways, birds, and GPS satellites. They're hard to find, but there happens to be one on Reverb right now Music Area Wind 30 Multi-Compartment Heavily Padded Acoustic | Reverb). If I were in the market right for another gig bag right now, I'd buy this.

3. I recently got a Road Runner Highway (solid-body sized). Not quite as reinforced as the others, but still quite sturdy, lighter, and a relative bargain. Huge amounts of accessory storage.

I've had various other cloth bags with varying degrees of padding, carrying comfort, and accessory pockets. Mooradian (which a lot of people like) is the best of these, but all of the ones I had eventually fell apart (including Mooradian).
    Last edited by John A.; 04-03-2024 at 03:44 PM.

User Info Menu

anyone try the Gator ProGo cases? There's one for sale on Reverb.

I have their 335 case for my Tim Bram guitar, but it of course doesn't fit the Andersen.

User Info Menu

My Andersen 17 purchased last fall came in an Ameritage case that feels like I'm picking up a Twin Reverb. It's an excellent fit and superior in all ways except Weight!

I'd love to find a light weight case/bag with similar protection.
    Someone suggested Kevlar.
    Who has experience with this?

User Info Menu

Thanks. the music wind case looks great. But according to the specs I found the lower bout width is 15.5 just short of my guitar's 16 lower bout width. Odd that it is so narrow.

User Info Menu

Thanks. the music wind case looks great. But according to the specs I found the lower bout width is 15.5 just short of my guitar's 16 lower bout width. Odd that it is so narrow.
    It has a removable extra piece of padding that makes it narrower. If you take the foam piece out a 16" guitar fits fine.

User Info Menu

Rule #1 for gear recommendation threads: budget?

I have a Mono Vertigo which I really like; if you want a high-class bag for your high-class guitar, then Glenn Cronkhite is the answer! [founder of Reunion Blues; he sold it and made bags himself; then he sold that to this current company!]

User Info Menu

anyone try the Gator ProGo cases? There's one for sale on Reverb.

I have their 335 case for my Tim Bram guitar, but it of course doesn't fit the Andersen.
    I had one for a while and sold it to another forum member after I got the Monos. They're excellent, but I don't think the neck support system is as good as the Mono system. The ProGo has a padded neck cradle in the case bottom and the top piece closes over it. But the Mono has supports in the top and the bottom, and they interdigitate to hold the neck securely over a longer area than any other gig bag I've seen. I also didn't liike the huge front pocket on the ProGo - it makes the bag really thick, and I don't need that much carry space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Rule #1 for gear recommendation threads: budget?

I have a Mono Vertigo which I really like; if you want a high-class bag for your high-class guitar, then Glenn Cronkhite is the answer! [founder of Reunion Blues; he sold it and made bags himself; then he sold that to this current company!]
    Good point about budget. I am hoping to find something under $200 shipped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    My Andersen 17 purchased last fall came in an Ameritage case that feels like I'm picking up a Twin Reverb. It's an excellent fit and superior in all ways except Weight!

I'd love to find a light weight case/bag with similar protection.
    Someone suggested Kevlar.
    Who has experience with this?
    I'm using a Crossrock Deluxe Fiberglass Super Jumbo case for my 17" Triggs New Yorker – it fits perfectly, and is quite protective of the guitar. It isn't as light as the Mono, but it is considerably lighter than an Ameritage, and has straps for carrying on one's back.

It's not a budget case, but it's less expensive than a carbon fiber case.

User Info Menu

Good point about budget. I am hoping to find something under $200 shipped.
    I’m sorry if I seem contrary here and I don’t mean to be - but your guitar is a valuable instrument. You get a lot more protection from a $280 Mono or similar bag than you do from any sub-$200 bag. For me, there’s no question about it - better protection of a $3k to $5k guitar is worth far more than $80.

The cost of any repair you might need from even a minor drop will far exceed $80.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’m sorry if I seem contrary here and I don’t mean to be - but your guitar is a valuable instrument. You get a lot more protection from a $280 Mono or similar bag than you do from any sub-$200 bag. For me, there’s no question about it - better protection of a $3k to $5k guitar is worth far more than $80.

The cost of any repair you might need from even a minor drop will far exceed $80.
    I was hoping for a used bag, hence the $200 figure. I watched some videos on the Mono Vertigo where they brought up the issue that some guitars could get scratched by the zipper being taken in or out of the bag. That turned me off that particular bag.

User Info Menu