The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone knowledgeable regarding the Thomastik flat wound strings listed above in the title box? I'm interested in how they compare (sonically) to each other. I'm particularly interested in the Jazz Swings vs the George Bensons.

I'm also interested in the Thomastik Bebop round wound strings. Do they have much string screech? Or more than any other round wound string? Thank you so much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe someone knows something more, but I had assumed that the Benson set were just Swings with different, custom gauge selections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think the Bensons are a little less vibrant than the swings. Not quite as loud a little more flat. The wound strings are very bright, typical round wound screech. Very loud and they last forever! Hope this helps some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Maybe someone knows something more, but I had assumed that the Benson set were just Swings with different, custom gauge selections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm certainly not saying I know more and can be totally wrong. I seem to favor a flat wound string that have some vibrance to them. Thomastik fits that bill. I like the gauging in the Benson set more theoretically, but seems every time I use them they are dead (to my liking) much quicker. Could be luck of the draw, seems like they wouldn't retool for the benson set. They do have the blue wrap so maybe that's it lol.

User Info Menu

I use the bebops for almost everything they sound and feel great. The flats are fine for an electric guitar or in some recording situations. I have never tried the Bensons and probably won't not found of the gauges they come in and they are more money.

How do the GBs vs Jazz Swings compare with each other sonically given identical string gauge?

User Info Menu

I have used all three and still use the Swings. The Bebops were great for a roundwound, but I prefer the sound and feel of the flats. I do think that the Bebops are smoother feeling to the fingers than any other roundwound I have tried. Regarding the Bensons, my ears could not tell the difference, but my wallet could.

User Info Menu

I use BB14 on my Epiphone Broadway (which doesn't sound good to me with flats nor with lower gauge). They sound good, last looooong and don't screech that much, compared to Ernie Ball I use on my soildbodies (does the gauge have something to do with that ?). But they are the only strings that I sometime break before they are worn (not always the same string, not always the same place, so that the guitar can't be incriminated)
    I use JS112 on my other archtops, even on semis, they last even longer than the BB, sound like flats and better (to me) than the D'Addario ECG I was using before and are cheaper (I'm in Europe !)
    I like to experiment with the strings (not so expensive game) but I always come back to TI for archtops.

User Info Menu

To my ears TI’s totally elevate any big jazzbox (solid or laminate) or anything thinline (semi or hollow) that has a spruce top and I think that’s true for their roundwounds as well as flats. But I tried them on a 335 and a 594 Hollowbody II and it didn’t sound right to me at all. When I put TI Bebop .011s on my Eastman Romeo (with spruce top) the guitar immediately became better. So much better that I’m now playing it daily.