The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

It's taken a while but the new Soloway Guitars is up and running. The web site is operational (although I'm sure we'll find a few glitches). There are some real good videos (both jazz and not jazz) on the site and on YouTube and there are a couple of actual guitars available.

Rather than blathering on and on about, here's a link to the site and a couple of videos.

And just to be clear: this is no longer my company. I have worked with Chris Cole to help make this happen but this is is entirely his business (for which I am grateful).

403 Forbidden (EDIT: I'm not sure why this shows up as "403 Forbidden". I've reported it to Chris but at least for me, clicking on it takes me to the site despite what it shows so please give it a try and let me know if it works).

Here's a jazz video:

And a decidedly not jazz video:
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 03-31-2024 at 01:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Excellent news - thanks, Jim!

[Any info on prices?]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Excellent news - thanks, Jim!

[Any info on prices?]
    Thanks Marc. If you click on the "Buy" button it will show you the actual guitars that are currently available with the actual prices. The range is high 4k's.

EDIT: Chris just changed the "Buy" button to "Available" ... I guess this is what happens on the first day of a new website.

And there are two guitars available: one with a 25.5" scale length and one with a 24.75" scale length. There are about four more coming right behind those.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 03-31-2024 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

[Hmm ... I'm on my phone and there is no "buy/available" button. I'll check the computer later!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    [Hmm ... I'm on my phone and there is no "buy/available" button. I'll check the computer later!]
    I've just reported that to Chris. It's amazing to me how much more complicated the process has gotten since I was doing it. All these different devices with different screen types and sizes make it really a chore. Thanks to all for the patience.

User Info Menu

A big congratulations Jim! It must be gratifying to see your legacy carried forward. And without the headaches.

Link works fine. The guitar looks very very interesting. Love the spec options. The available option works on my Mac laptop. Hmmm....I've been thinking about a semi hollow lately...

So on the spec page there's some numbers about the neck that I'm a bit unclear about. Are these decimal inches describing neck thickness at possibly the first and maybe 10th fret?:

taper: 825-915 or 850-940 or 880-970

User Info Menu

Hi Marc. The Available button is, well, available now on phones. Let me know if you don't see it. Thanks!

Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    A big congratulations Jim! It must be gratifying to see your legacy carried forward. And without the headaches.

Link works fine. The guitar looks very very interesting. Love the spec options. The available option works on my Mac laptop. Hmmm....I've been thinking about a semi hollow lately...

So on the spec page there's some numbers about the neck that I'm a bit unclear about. Are these decimal inches describing neck thickness at possibly the first and maybe 10th fret?:

taper: 825-915 or 850-940 or 880-970
    Hi. The taper is from 1st to 12th fret.

User Info Menu

Congratulations :-)

User Info Menu

Congrats!!

Will keep an eye on this and my budget .. LOL

Any plans for a 27" or similar scale?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Congrats!!

I leave those answers to Chris. Right now there's both a 25.5 and a 24.75" and my hope is that the next one will be a 24" for me. (All that seems very odd since we began with the 27").
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-01-2024 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Congrats!!

Yes - there will be a 27" scale version and a 24" scale version. For the moment we want to stay focused on the current models for at least a few runs, and then we'll work on the design modifications needed to accommodate those scale lengths.

And there are some other mods that we have planned, but again no definitive timetable so that we can stay focused on the task at hand. When new models or other changes get closer to fruition, we'll start posting an "Upcoming" page that details what's coming down the pipeline.

- Chris

User Info Menu

Great versatile design. Looks comfy to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Yes - there will be a 27" scale version and a 24" scale version. For the moment we want to stay focused on the current models for at least a few runs, and then we'll work on the design modifications needed to accommodate those scale lengths.

And there are some other mods that we have planned, but again no definitive timetable so that we can stay focused on the task at hand. When new models or other changes get closer to fruition, we'll start posting an "Upcoming" page that details what's coming down the pipeline.

- Chris
    Are 7s in the long range plan, Chris?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    Are 7s in the long range plan, Chris?
    At the moment 7s are not on the horizon. That could certainly change if we see some momentum in demand.

Chris

User Info Menu

Good work Jim!!!!

Nice to see the site up and running.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Jim. I loved the "Swan" I played for a while!
    Greg

User Info Menu

Great news! I’ve had three hollowbody guitars: a 1974 Gibson ES-175, a 2002 Heritage Eagle, and a Soloway Gosling single 15. I just let go of the Gibson and I’m inclined to sell the Eagle if I can get my money out of it. I will keep the Soloway because it’s the most comfortable, lightweight, and easy to play of the three. Sounds wonderful as well. Good luck with the launch!

User Info Menu

Well done Jim.
    I'm Glad you could carry the brand on.
    I've always found your guitars to look elegant and unique. A testament to your designs.
    Cheers to you!

User Info Menu

The grain on the first one (natural spruce or cedar?) is stunning. Pretty much perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gregc57 View Post
    Congrats, Jim. I loved the "Swan" I played for a while!
    Greg
    Hi Greg. We plan to roll out the 27" Swan necks in the not-too-distant future. We feel like we need the larger body (15") for the 27" neck, so we are coordinating the production and rollout of those together.

Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    Great news! I’ve had three hollowbody guitars: a 1974 Gibson ES-175, a 2002 Heritage Eagle, and a Soloway Gosling single 15. I just let go of the Gibson and I’m inclined to sell the Eagle if I can get my money out of it. I will keep the Soloway because it’s the most comfortable, lightweight, and easy to play of the three. Sounds wonderful as well. Good luck with the launch!
    I agree with the comfort and playability of the S15 - I was fortunate enough to buy the last S15 Jim made before retiring, and still have it today.

The S14 is even more comfortable and lightweight than the S15. Consider it the smaller sibling. It is 14" at the lower bout instead of 15", but is 2" deep instead of 1.75", and we thinned the top and walls to try to capture a little more acoustic presence. It comes in right around 6 lbs, +/- a couple of ounces. We also reworked the neck contour for comfort.

Here's a short video demonstration...

--Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    The grain on the first one (natural spruce or cedar?) is stunning. Pretty much perfect.
    Yes - that is Alaskan Sitka Spruce in the first video. The spruce was part of a specially-selected stash that was used for a small-run custom guitar for Gibson. They did not use all of the wood, and I was able to get the rest.

Here's a nice closeup...

I'm very excited.  The new Soloway Guitars is up and running.-dsc02854-rotated-jpg

I'm very excited.  The new Soloway Guitars is up and running.-dsc02818-cropped-jpg

--Chris