The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 114 of 114

User Info Menu

The (A2) 59 is the most syrupy and spongy hum I've tried. That's a good base to use since it's available in 7 string. Hotter pickups are fatter and middier so that'll be more likely to be syrupy and spongy. Vintage scoops it and makes it chirpier on the top end.

The Fralin pure PAF is also excellent tho. They might be able to make it 7 string if you contacted them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Lindy Fralin Pure PAF is what my teacher (Bob DeVos) uses. It sounded a little bright for me but I did call Lindy Fralin and ask but no they don't do it. So when I order my 59 with alNico 2 maybe I should ask them to do a slightly hotter wind. You think?

User Info Menu

Yeah you could ask for a hotter wind. I forgot you're using a 7 string tho. I checked the site and the 7 string versions are hotter than the 6 string versions. The neck is 8.6k and the bridge is 9.4k. Either of those is probably plenty wooly. 7k range is mainly where it's chirpy. 8k and up is more wooly.

I really recommend you just get one of those stock and do the mag swap yourself. I could do it for you if you don't want to. Another thing I do is use double thick magnets. They make the tone even fatter and deeper. You can't use a cover with them tho.

That's cool that you're taking lessons with Bob Devos. It's good to study with a good player. I took lessons with Tony Monaco. I'm not sure if I'm doing him justice tho. :P
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-03-2024 at 10:08 PM.

So you do you think that double alnico II would be going too far? I can always put in a 200k pot for volume (my understanding is that it makes it darker the volume pot then a 200k tone pot does). On my Edwards 7 string 335 it has nickel covers and nickel hardware everywhere and I'd like to keep that look for that guitar. So I am inclined to have Seymour Duncan make the pickup with the nickel cover. Maybe I will get a bridge pickup with alnico II to be a little fatter than a neck pickup. For my Eastman carved archtop, I might try that. It came with a black Armstrong and I ordered a B7 for it but if I don't like the sound of that maybe we'll try a double magnet alnico II. I really think the only way to get the sound I want is with experimentation which is costly. It cost as much to have the pickups put in as the pickups cost almost. I should learn how to do that myself. I used to fly RC airplanes so I'm pretty good with soldering. When it comes time for that maybe I'll have you do that for me. The 59 in my grote is just a tad bright for me. I presume I would order a Seymour Duncan 59 but where would we get the alnico II magnets from? Would it be possible to start with single magnets and then try double stacking them?

User Info Menu

Yes, definitely put in a 200k volume pot. Makes the sound so nice and warm and smoky for a few bucks. You can leave the tone the same if you're happy the way it functions.

If you're not comfortable with mag swapping, and want to keep the covered look, yes go ahead and ask for a covered 59 bridge with alnico 2.

Double thick magnets are a great further step to deepening the tone. You can order them manufactured that way, or you can make them yourself. You epoxy 2 regular thickness magnets together then remagnetize them as 1 using a magnetizer. They make a cover not fit tho.

Yes, I recommend learning teching. It's fun, faster, and cheaper. You can practice on cheap guitars until you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    Yes, definitely put in a 200k volume pot. Makes the sound so nice and warm and smoky for a few bucks. You can leave the tone the same if you're happy the way it functions.

If you're not comfortable with mag swapping, and want to keep the covered look, yes go ahead and ask for a covered 59 bridge with alnico 2.

Double thick magnets are a great further step to deepening the tone. You can order them manufactured that way, or you can make them yourself. You epoxy 2 regular thickness magnets together then remagnetize them as 1 using a magnetizer. They make a cover not fit tho.

Yes, I recommend learning teching. It's fun, faster, and cheaper. You can practice on cheap guitars until you get the hang of it.
    It's hard to use words to describe sounds, that's part of the problem with this stuff. But can you say what you mean by deepening the tone?

I found some discussions about using double magnets online but they were talking about how it dramatically increases output. I can always put a second magnet in later in a 59 I presume.

User Info Menu

It makes the tone fatter and makes the bass and bass related frequencies sound more present and broader. You can't just stick 2 magnets in a pickup, you have to bond them and remagnetize them as 1.

User Info Menu

I was just taking to someone about this the other day. I think the Alnico 5's have more in your face kind of sound where as the Alnico 2's have a soft warm kind of sound. I like p90's and they really show up with different magnets. What's funny is that sometimes with new guitar as well with vintage Alnico 5 could sound warmer than Alnico 2 and vise a versa. I think there are more things involved here then just magnets it's a lot of things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joebonni View Post
    I was just taking to someone about this the other day. I think the Alnico 5's have more in your face kind of sound where as the Alnico 2's have a soft warm kind of sound. I like p90's and they really show up with different magnets. What's funny is that sometimes with new guitar as well with vintage Alnico 5 could sound warmer than Alnico 2 and vise a versa. I think there are more things involved here then just magnets it's a lot of things.
    Everything matters. However, when everything else BUT the pickups stay the same, there are certain rules we can make about how they will sound compared ton each other. The test bed doesn't change: same guitar, same player. So it's a valid experiment.

User Info Menu

Well... this is interesting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    Well... this is interesting...

Trying to convince that strat is just as good for jazz as an archtop is like trying to fit a square into a circle... Sometimes it's almost there, but not quite. Yea, sure, with a lot of tweaking and ear make believe it can sound jazzy, but why the need? A good musician is a good musician of course, so there is that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Trying to convince that strat is just as good for jazz as an archtop is like trying to fit a square into a circle... Sometimes it's almost there, but not quite. Yea, sure, with a lot of tweaking and ear make believe it can sound jazzy, but why the need? A good musician is a good musician of course, so there is that.
    I think the video is trying to point out that, with a little effort, the differences between these things is nowhere near the difference people on music forums create in their heads. Not that the two are the same, just that they can be quite close with a little tweaking... and there's nothing special about that strat: it's just a strat neck pickup, and the amp is just a 68 Deluxe Reverb RI. EQ controls (on the guitar and the amp) can achieve quite alot if you learn how to use them.
    Last edited by ruger9; 04-12-2024 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I play a strat, an archtop, and a semi. They all sound a little different, but they all work for straightahead jazz. I would not try to argue that the strat can be made to sound exactly like the archtop (and definitely not vice versa). But it doesn't take a lot of tweaking or anything complicated for my strat to fit in well with a jazz group. I just back off the tone a fair bit, bump up the mids on the amp, and I'm usually happy.

I finally made up my mind and ordered a 7 string alnico II 59 bridge with a nickel cover to put in the neck position of my 335.

I know I could swap magnets myself in one of my two existing 59s, but I wanted the hotter wind of the bridge pickup and I don't want to try soldering on a nice nickel cover myself.

I'm eager to see how it sounds. Leadtime is 6 to 8 weeks.

It will go in this which I think I've showed before:
    ESP | EDWARDS | E-TC-7ST
    Being the only seven string 335 I've ever found and now discontinued, and being of decent quality as it comes from a Japanese custom shop, I really want it to be my special guitar. It has solid hard maple top and back, not maple poplar laminate like other 335s. Probably machine carved. And three piece hard maple neck and hard maple sides.

Thank you for the pickup help everyone.