The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am super intrigued by humbucker Jaguars but the stock humbucker model (Kurt Cobain) seems to be loaded with very distortion oriented pickups.

Anyone who as experience with humbucker Jaguars? I want the traditional look with all the knobs, switches and whistles.

PS. Yes, this is a gas fallout from Lawson's thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Change the pups to low output PAF about 7K.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 03-28-2024 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Just because a humbucker is higher output does not mean it can't be used for more mellow stuff. Lower it way down in the ring and try it before you jump ship for expensive pickups. You might be surprised the tone you are able to get.

User Info Menu

Hot pickups sound much better when the volume is rolled down, preferably way down. At least that's been my experience. But I have zero experience with either Jaguars or those pickups.

User Info Menu

I picked up a marketplace resale of a new Fender Strat American Pro 1. Still had the plastic wrap on it. The guitar has a wonderful neck and a great case. I am not a tremolo fan, and I performed an Eric Clapton on the bridge. The guitar neck and middle pickups are vmods and don’t sound bad. The bridge pickup is a Shaw design and worthless.

3 changes seem feasible for improving tone:

1) buy a set of single coil SD Fat Fifties
    2) Change to a HSS pickguard a install a Seymour Duncan 59 bridge Humbucker
    3) Change to an HH pickguard and install a set of 59 Humbuckers.

This last suggestion would give me a nice set of humbuckers if I decided to go back original, sell the strat and buy a used Ibanez archtop. My amp does not help the tone search. It is a Fender Hotrod which I have changed V1 preamp tube. That helped.

I like the Strat for playing and my arthritic thumbs sure like that neck. My son believes a modeling amp could improve those tones. I am going to try some half round strings and then some lightweight flats.

I would welcome ideas.