The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I currently have an Ibanez PM35 which I acquired around a month or so ago that I am quite happy with. It sounds and feels good but the one gripe I do have with it is the neck, specifically the thickness. It is a bit thin measuring around 20.3mm (just right at .80") at the 1st fret which is a bit thin for me.

I'm somewhat leaning towards saving for a year or so and later buying a PM200, keeping the PM35 as a backup. I see on the Ibanez website the neck depth at the 1st fret is 21mm (~ .826") which is better, but my target is around .85".

Can anyone with a PM200 comment on the actual thickness at the 1st fret, not just what the manufacturer says on the website? I'm curious how consistent the specs are for these necks and if it's worth "shopping around" and asking sellers for neck depth measurements.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well the one I tried awhile back had a thin profile neck. Definitely not my favorite either. It’s unfortunate it so hard to find guitars in general that have substantial necks unless you spend large money.

My Benedetto Bambino is .850” to 1” first to 12th fret. Not huge but comfortable. Other Bambino’s I’ve tried have even thinner profiles.

I'm finding the same thing to be true. I find a guitar with so many specs I love and then I ask for neck specs (or look them up) only to see tons of people saying such and such guitar has a thin neck. I remember I got an Epiphone 175 a while back thinking it would be a great working guitar and the neck at the 1st fret had something like 0.77" depth! With factory guitars, I'm assuming they do it as a measure to attract a wider audience of guitar players as more people can play thinner necks than thicker (unsure if that's actually true but I'm speculating as to their reasoning).

As for now the PM35 is OK with .80" at the 1st and I will ask around for PM200 every now and then.

Unrelated but I do see Archtop Tribute guitars have thicker necks (I asked Masaki at Walkin' a while back) with the 1st around .85" so I might "settle" for an AT105M model