The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I'm looking to buy an acoustic archtop and I'm looking at a Peerless Martin Taylor Virtuoso or an Eastman 605 ce. I can't try either, so I'd value your opinions on the relative acoustic performance. Not which is 'best', that's impossible to answer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is there a reason those are the guitars you are considering? They certainly wouldn’t be my first choices. The Peerless has a laminate top and while I guess the Eastman’s top is carved spruce, I’ve uniformly been underwhelmed by them as acoustic instruments. Either can be very fine playing instruments, but I think there are far better acoustic instruments out there.

I realize that availability and cost may be strong factors in consideration, but as acoustic archtops, these would be pretty low on my list.

The first thing I would want to know is what kind of sound do you want to get out of the instrument. There are many factors that can change the way an acoustic archtop sounds and responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When I was looking for an acoustic archtop, I was wanting something like the flat tops I was playing with more of the archtop tone (fast attack, short decay, overtones without the persistence of a flat top). That, and honestly, was just thinking archtops were cool and beautiful instruments so I just wanted one. What I didn't want was the punch of guitars from the 40's that were designed as rhythm instruments to drive 4 beats a measure in a dance band with horns. Which is what a lot of people are referring to when you say acoustic archtop.

So.. if you mean something with a rich and complex tone, the Eastman works pretty well. I find them to be on the bright side but that can be managed with string and pick choices (or fingers). They are in the Benedetto design camp which you may see referred to from time to time. If it were me, this is where I would start. Eastman's, particularly older ones, sound good and are often available at bargain prices in the used market. They have great build quality and will teach you everything you want to know about acoustic archtops.

If you want something with punch and drive, will leave that commentary to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    When I was looking for an acoustic archtop, I was wanting something like the flat tops I was playing with more of the archtop tone (fast attack, short decay, overtones without the persistence of a flat top). That, and honestly, was just thinking archtops were cool and beautiful instruments so I just wanted one. What I didn't want was the punch of guitars from the 40's that were designed as rhythm instruments to drive 4 beats a measure in a dance band with horns. Which is what a lot of people are referring to when you say acoustic archtop.

So.. if you mean something with a rich and complex tone, the Eastman works pretty well. I find them to be on the bright side but that can be managed with string and pick choices (or fingers). They are in the Benedetto design camp which you may see referred to from time to time. If it were me, this is where I would start. Eastman's, particularly older ones, sound good and are often available at bargain prices in the used market. They have great build quality and will teach you everything you want to know about acoustic archtops.

If you want something with punch and drive, will leave that commentary to others.
    Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polyp
    I'm looking to buy an acoustic archtop and I'm looking at a Peerless Martin Taylor Virtuoso or an Eastman 605 ce. I can't try either, so I'd value your opinions on the relative acoustic performance. Not which is 'best', that's impossible to answer.
    TRM has made the case you have to decide what you are after. To me I completely agree with TRM these guitars would not be my pick at all. They would not ever be on the radar screen of what I call an acoustic archtop I would consider sounding decent. An Eastman 810 or 910 would be a better option. I guess really to me these guitars look and act like an acoustic archtop but performance from them as that spec, would be happening.

GIbson L4s, L7s, and old Epiphones fit the bill much better for an acoustic archtop.

User Info Menu

I think he was clear about what he's after. The Eastman 810 can be found for a good price in the used market and would be a good choice.

As for any Gibson, don't think I would recommend someone spend $4500 - $7000 to see if they like acoustic archtops. That, and Gibson L4CES is primarily electric. And the 50's Epiphone's I've played (less the half a dozen) have all been punchy. Leaving the very nice Gibson L7 which, unfortunately, has gotten pricey.

User Info Menu

I think he was clear about what he's after. The Eastman 810 can be found for a good price in the used market and would be a good choice.

As for any Gibson, don't think I would recommend someone spend $4500 - $7000 to see if they like acoustic archtops.
    There are fantastic acoustic archtops that can be had for much less than that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

I'm sure the OP would appreciate suggestions and I'm sure you're more in touch with the market than I am. I'm guessing he or she is more in the $1500 range based on the guitars originally cited.

User Info Menu

I'm sure the OP would appreciate suggestions and I'm sure you're more in touch with the market than I am. I'm guessing he or she is more in the $1500 range based on the guitars originally cited.
    I was also assuming that the OP wants to stay under a price point. The reason I ask what is wanted out of the guitar is to help make possible recommendations. Otherwise it’s shooting in the dark. I could recommend a Epiphone Blackstone for instance, but based on the limited info I have, I doubt that would be a match. I certainly don’t want to assume that either though. I’ve worked with lots of buyers new to archtops and a discussion of their hopes for the sounds to get out of the guitar can go a long way since they generally don’t have the experience to know what models to look for. Granted, my recommendations are generally but not entirely going to be mostly oriented to vintage guitars.

User Info Menu

So what do you like for an acoustic archtop with reasonable harmonic content in the $1500 range if you don't care for Eastman?

User Info Menu

I still see Epiphone Triumphs pop up for under $2k for time to time. I can’t imagine why anyone would ever go for an eastman over that.

User Info Menu

No shortage of swell American acoustic archtops to be found under $2,000. Plenty of old 16" boxes. And the occasional Epiphone Triumph. And thousands of swell German archtops, with a few Swedish ones thrown in for good measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop-archtops-x3-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-26-2024 at 11:31 PM.

Check out '40s and '50s vintage Gretsch New Yorkers and Synchros. Spruce carved top, parallel braced, well crafted
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240325-2221212-png Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240325-222558-png Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240325-222754-png 

User Info Menu

Umm.. no. We're talking a first archtop. Something solid and closer in harmonic content to a flat top.

I see Harmony archtop guitars and other now obscure brands all the time. Cheap. If you can hands-on evaluate the guitar and you have the expertise, guitars from the 40's and 50's might be OK. Especially if you're into that sound and garage sale relic'd look. And although I've never played an Epiphone Triumph that wasn't dry and punchy that's easily attributable to a small sample size. However, for a first archtop it would be nice to have adjustment range left in the truss rod.. if the guitar has a truss rod.. be without loose braces, major cracks, ski slope fret boards, have plenty of fret wear left, and not be in need of a neck reset. And guessing the OP would like a cutaway. I am certain there are many gems out there for those who know what to look for. On the other hand, there are often a good reasons for an old guitar to be cheap.

The guitar will be a remote purchase.. don't know about the Eastman 610 because I've no experience with them, but the 810's are nice guitars with consistent performance and a modern sound. They are a lot less likely to have issues so there is a good chance you'll actually get what you're expecting.

User Info Menu

Not much info from the OP, however since both instruments on his radar have floating pickups, I would imagine he wants to plug in at some point. IMHO the true acoustic archtop tone and vibe is best achieved with a Vintage Gibson or Epiphone. There are generally issues with these as mentioned-but that's part of the fun!
    Taking it down a notch-I see a lot of buzz here on the forum about the Loar 700. Isn't that supposed to be a early L-5 copy?
    I adore my 53 Epiphone Triumph Regent and have played many gigs with it unamplified. Just a mic in front of it.
    Acoustic Archtop-20230710_120602-jpg

User Info Menu

I realise that you have asked the question about two guitars and it sounds like you have narrowed you search to these two.
    If I was you, it would infuriate me if someone went off topic but I am about to do just that! (sorry).
    Have you looked at some China copies? You will get a carved top for the price of a pressed top - and you will not be disappointed.
    Be prepared for a long wait for the guitar and infuriating communicationscwith the luthier if you do go down this route!

User Info Menu

If you think vintage Epiphones are just dry punch, give this old Triumph a listen. There are lots of great sounds to be coaxed out of them. (And this guitar has a very shallow neck angle even.)

Last edited by ThatRhythmMan; 03-26-2024 at 07:16 PM.

Does this appear to be more of what you want? Looks like some nicely used for 2K-ish. Great with Florentine cut-away. Any comments on the neck?
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240326-1728122-png Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240326-1727122-png 

Comments from 2015 post from a satisfied owner and player of the guitar you are interested in
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240326-1745002-png Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240326-1745162-png 

User Info Menu

If you think vintage Epiphones are just dry punch, give this old Triumph a listen. There are lots of great sounds to be coaxed out of them. (And this guitar has a very shallow neck angle even.)
    Appreciate the video. Unlike some earlier archtops, I have had the opportunity to play several earlier Epiphones. They were all dry punch. By 'several' I mean like half a dozen so. There seemed to be quite a few of these floating around Albuquerque in the mid 2000's. Maybe there are better/worse build years. Or none were set up properly, et al. Playing a few doesn't impart expertise. I would, however, really want to play the specific guitar I was buying properly set up before finalizing the sale. And I would want a cutaway. And I would want the guitar to be in very good to excellent condition verified by a close inspection on such an old instrument. These can be found of course. But would set you back $3K or more if the current crop of online sales means anything. Kind of fits. I remember them being $1500 back in 2007 (or so) though.

Polyp:
    Just an option --
    As of this morning, this is still posted on our jazzguitar. be/forum
    Pic is not the actual guitar, but it must be like it
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240327-081205-png Acoustic Archtop-screenshot_20240327-0810082-png 
    Last edited by ArchieHollow; 03-27-2024 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I fully agree with TRM, if your interested in vintage. Im really surprised no-one mentioned Heritage. For about half the money of decent condition vintage G or E you can find Eagle standards or classics or spruce top 575 every bit the equal of any of the for mentioned and not being antiques better for a less experienced vintage "investor". What part of made in the same factory by the same people with nearly 100yrs of guitar making culture dont people get?. Heritage was a company owned and operated by those guitar makers. Gibson and Epi were corporations whose principal goal was (is) making profit. Guys like Mcarty gave them a marketing edge in the same way McNamara did for ford and even Norlin (nearly) couldnt f__k that up. I wouldnt debate which brand is better for an individual player. But Heritage didnt have the marketing chops to capitalize on their history. Recently I was able to hear my '97 GE played next to a '63 Gibby JS, Id happlily trade for the gibby but only because I could turn around sell it and buy 4 nice Heritages (which I already did). We both agreed form playability and sound it was personal preference ( I prefer the neck on my GE he on the JS) acoustically although different I would be equally happy with either. With the floaters engaged I think the pickup makes a huge difference the JS had a later model Gib JS pickup my GE has a single coil made for it by Kent A. Plugged in the GE is brighter or the JS is darker however you want to look at it. I prefer the more "modern?" sound rather than the traditional warmer darker so courses for horses but just sayin if your looking for massive value in a real handmade carved guitar at a bargain price you should be looking at Heritage also.

User Info Menu

Heritage guitars are all I believe sleepers in general for the long run. Buying a Heritage, you get a genuine American made guitar that still is the world's envy in many respects. I would take a Heritage over any imported guitar including Ibañez which seems to have the best QC going for it. Buy a carved Eagle or similar, however this guitar still will not be what an old Gibson or Epiphone is just different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Taking it down a notch-I see a lot of buzz here on the forum about the Loar 700. Isn't that supposed to be a early L-5 copy?
    I've been told it's closer to an L4 but the vibe it gives off is definitely L5 for me. The "ce" models is called LH-650 (discontinued) which also has a modern neck profile but still the short (630'ish mm) scale length. Lots of guitar for the money if you can avoid the ones with QC issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I've been told it's closer to an L4 but the vibe it gives off is definitely L5 for me. The "ce" models is called LH-650 (discontinued) which also has a modern neck profile but still the short (630'ish mm) scale length. Lots of guitar for the money if you can avoid the ones with QC issues.
    It’s definitely has construction modeled more after a dot neck L-5 than an L-4.