The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    It’s definitely has construction modeled more after a dot neck L-5 than an L-4.
    Suits me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Greetings. Thank you very much for all of your comments, suggestions and advice. I haven't responded for a while because after I spend a long-time online, as I have been while looking for, and researching guitars, I like to switch my broadband off and spend a few days away from it doing other things.

Why am I looking for this type of guitar? It's probably best summed up by a comment from Spook410, which sums it up perfectly, “ ….something like the flat tops I was playing with more of the archtop tone …. What I didn't want was the punch of guitars from the 40's that were designed as rhythm instruments to drive 4 beats a measure in a dance band with horns. Which is what a lot of people are referring to when you say acoustic archtop.” I've been an acoustic player for most of my guitar playing life, and only moved to electric in the past few years when an acoustic duo that I was gigging with somehow morphed, over a couple of years, into a five piece electric band; I bought a Tele. As soon as I got past the nosebleed stage at the dusty end, I embraced it wholeheartedly;although I still fingerpick traditional songs on them.

I have two arch tops already. a modded Ibanez AFJ91. And a Godin Kingpin 2with the p90s. Both nice guitars with very different sound and feel.

Why am I looking at these two guitars? There are surprisingly few available in that sort of configuration, that I could find around about a thousand pounds. There are quite a lot up to about £750 or so, but most of those are older, 50s, 60s, or there's no cutaway, and a cutaway is essential.

There seems to be a gap in the market between about a thousand and fifteen hundred, loads over 2000,but in my price range I found four, and two of those were sold. So it's between these two if I go on.

Why now? Well, I'm 72 and although my general health is okay, I am feeling some age related problems and hassles. The main one probably being my hearing, I've got hearing aids, which I put down to age and a well-spent youth, head banging and playing loud music. There's also hints of arthritis now and then, which I'm keeping at bay. And also find electric guitars too heavy. I like to play and sing standing up, it gives me the best feel for what I'm doing

So, why now? I have an opportunity to purchase what, by most accounts, should be a really nice guitar, and a revelation came to me and I thought, If I don't do it now, the next time an opportunity comes around, will I still be capable of playing and appreciating it? After much thought, I've bought the Eastman; I also like the idea of having a handcrafted, solid wood guitar.

I'll do a NGD when I've finished either drooling or sobbing. Typically, I bought it just before two bank holidays, an extraordinarily long weekend, so it's 'Zen and the art of waiting for a guitar to arrive'.
    Once again, thank you for all your input. I really appreciated it, and learned a lot.

User Info Menu

I hope this isnt hijacking the thread, TRM certainly makes the case for vintage Gs and Es but Hammertone and AH also brought up Gretch acoustic which had never been on my radar before and Im sure I never heard one. Really nice lookin especially the tortish bound one. The prices look very attractive so how would they hold up sound and playability wise compared to the aforementioned? like mabey a triumph or l7? They look deep
    Anyone compared them? How are the necks? I need a new brand to stare at on reverb.

User Info Menu

Not sure it will matter to some, but many of the Gretsch acoustic archtops are pressed, not carved.