The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    I have the opportunity of buying a Furch A17 21SF archtop guitar for 1500 €. OR he will agree to exchange guitar with my Ibanez Artstar AS200 John Schofield. Is that a reasonable price? Is that a fair deal? Does anyone know anything about that Furch. I have tried the internet, but not much is said??I hope somebody can help.
    Best regards Kim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Kim

I have experience with a Stonebridge acoustic that was very well made and sounded good. Those guys out there know how to make good sounding flat top guitars from my limited experience.

I imagine their archtop may sound quite bright but that’s speculation.

I would err on the amount of the Furch being more around $1,200 but could be totally wrong.

Your guitar is much more sellable and the Furch far more niche. You should in that case try to minimise your risk on the Furch, by negotiating it down to a cost that will allow you to sell it on, if you don't like it.

I think you would be better off getting a Japanese Vestax D’Angelico. They are likely a similar but the D’Angelico would be a safer investment, as long as you pay a good price.,

User Info Menu

I haven't owned a Furch, just fondled one. Lovely. The Czech manufacturer is part of a long tradition in instrument-making and better known for their acoustic guitars. They stopped making archtops a few years ago. This one, probably from the early 2000s, has a solid spruce top. Given the pedigree, I would guess carved rather than pressed. To me the price seems to be right for what it its, but as a keeper, not for quick resale or an investment.