The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ron recently started playing guitars by a luthier in Los Angeles. There is a YouTube video quite long where the luthier and Ron discuss the guitars. In it, Ron talks about the string he uses for his seventh string. He uses flat wounds but the seventh is a roundwound to get some brightness so it can be heard. I really wish I knew exactly what strain he's using and what gauge. I use the D'Addario chromes 11-65 but the 65 is too floppy and quiet. I think Ron uses a 70 or so but I'm not sure. I'd really like to try the exact same string. If anybody knows, or can point me to that YouTube video which I've been unable to relocate, or has Ron's contact info, it would be a big help and greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m not sure what he uses. But if you want a RW 7th, I can strongly suggest using a nickel 0.076” from John Pearse (breezyridge.biz) if you can get it through the post hole on your tuning peg. They also have a 72 and an 80.

I used them for 25 years on my 7s (solid and archtop). But then I discovered that Chrome singles are available up to 0.075”, tried one, and love them. The amplified tone of the 7th string depends a lot on the guitar and amplifier you’re using. Different pickups really affect how that low A string comes out of the speaker. I have a set HW KA HB on a 16” carved archtop, a KA floater on a 17” carved, a Benedetto B7 on a laminated 16, and Lace Alumitones on a Tele 7. These are all excellent with a 75 Chrome.

But I still use a RW 76 on my early ‘90s ESP hardtail because the Duncan HBs make a fat Chrome sound dull and thumpy. I put an active EMG in my LP 7 several years ago, and it sounds different. I think it brings out the harmonics so cleanly that it makes the entire string set sound a little more acoustic. The EMG is also a bit more responsive to the tone pot - it seems to go a bit deeper into thunk and whomp with tone rolled off but also brightens up a bit more like roundwounds with the tone pot further up.

I used to use big speakers (at least 12”) with fat & flabby bass because I thought smaller ones didn’t let the bass bloom. Although I used a RW 7th because I didn’t know there were big flat singles available, I liked it because it added some chime to brighten up the whomp. And a big flat wound 7th is nothing but whomp through most guitar or bass amps with 12” or 15” speakers small and light enough for gigging. Even most traditional design 10s are too loose way down there to let it sound like just another string in the set. There are some big, big bass cabs that are tight and punchy, but they’re impractical for most of us because of size, weight, cost etc.

It turns out that really good small drivers and well designed cabs are better for a 7 because they let the 7th string sound just like the other 6 but lower in pitch. One of the beauties of a Blu / Bud is that it brings out the pitch and harmonic structure of the 7th string very, very well and clearly from all my 7s. My Toobs (6.5” and 10”) also do a great job of this with the right amplifiers. The DV Mark EG250 (which has a 6205 tube in the front end) makes my 7s sound fantastic through the Toobs, as does my SBUS.

I had a Mk 1 Boogie with EVM when I got my first 7. It was a wonderful amp, but even a RW 7 was flabby and out of balance with the rest the set. An SWR Baby Baby Blue with two 8s was much better, and a Phil Jones Briefcase with a pair of really long throw 4s sounded great. But my current amps are in a different league and let a full set of flats sound like they’re all on the same instrument.

So with the right amp and speaker, I prefer a Chrome 75 to the RW 76 or 80 I used to use. I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Hello voyage!
    From Ron eschete in some interview :
    I also use custom string gauges from GHS. My strings are 13.5p, 16p, 22 flat, 30flat, 40flat, 50 bright flat, and 70 Boomer Round on the 7th string.

Hope it helps

Thanks very much for the long post, it's full of great information. I use a 65 Chrome for the 7th when my Eastman carved guitar. It just sounds too floppy and loose. I'm guessing that bumping up to a 75 for the 7th string would tighten up that string a lot. I may try that but thanks for your other recommendation too.

Thanks much. I think the Boomer is the string that Ron uses for his 7th. I will try one as well, probably a little larger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voyage
    Thanks very much for the long post, it's full of great information. I use a 65 Chrome for the 7th when my Eastman carved guitar. It just sounds too floppy and loose. I'm guessing that bumping up to a 75 for the 7th string would tighten up that string a lot. I may try that but thanks for your other recommendation too.
    The 75 Chrome is a seriously fine 7th string. It’s definitely a higher tension string than a round core RW of the same or slightly heavier gauge, and to me it blends much better tone wise with the JS113s I use on archtops than any other 7th I’ve tried. It’s also a fine match for Chromes, which I use on my solid bodies.

I do find that I have to lower the bass side of the neck pickup a bit to balance out the volume. The 75 sounds tighter and more like the other wound strings with the pickup a bit further down on the low side than on the high side. How much varies with the pickup - you just have to adjust and check until you find the sweet spot.