The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!

I want to buy my first semi-hollow guitar. I want it to be suitable for jazz as I am more and more leaning toward this music. I have two opportunities for a second hand guitar for about the same price.

One is an ibanez as113 and the other one is an epiphone sheraton II pro. I am searching for any information that might help me in my decision.

Does somebody had the chance to play both ?

Which of those do you think has the best build quality ? The best pickups (especially for jazz) ?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have owned an Epiphone Sheraton II (not the Pro which is a subsequent model) which I sold several years ago, and currently have an Ibanez AS113 which I'm still evaluating, and will probably keep!
    I don't need to mention that the Epi Sheraton is the path toward a Gibson 335, and the Ibanez AS113 in the path toward an Ibanez John Scofield, so the feel and tones will vector in those respective directions!
    I had swapped the pickups in the Sheraton II for Fralin Humbuckers, but to be fair, I've done the same on many guitars. There was nothing wrong with the guitar as received.
    The Ibanez Super 58's on the AS113 I'll not touch, as they are just fine!
    Though an Indonesian assembled guitar, the AS113 had superb workmanship, and I wonder if it would even be possible to tell from its MIJ counterpart (wearing a blindfold), the Ibanez AS2000!
    I would say off hand that the AS113 has superior workmanship that of the Sheridon, but I don't recall the Sheridan to have any flaws (other than my subjective choice to swap it's pickups). Also, my Epi was not the "Pro" model (I don't know how it may differ)!
    I'm used to larger archtops as of late, with wide (1.75" nut) fretboards, so the neck dimensions and smaller ergonomics of the body on the AS113 are an adjustment curve for me, and are the real challenge.
    Bottom line (IMHO): Are you seeking a 335 style experience? --go Sheridan Pro, or Ibanez Scofield experience--go AS113.
    Best wishes!