The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It's John Mayer and the PRS headstock, innit?
    And the fucking birds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I have some nice strats for you at $500. Trem or hardtail?
    Might be interested. Gotta be a trem, gotta be 5 way switching, gotta be neck and middle single coils. Bridge pickup could be whatever.

Probably not moving on this til Summer, would be a "birthday present to myself."

User Info Menu

I would go with the Squier (CV or something alike). It's the classic headstock and body shape. I own a Jazz Bass from Squier and it is perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Have to say, I can't do a Silver Sky. I'm already gray haired and overweight, a PRS would just be too much.
    I think you need a Jerry Garcia Tiger or Wolf then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I think you need a Jerry Garcia Tiger or Wolf then.
    My favorite Jerry tones were with Alligator anyway.

I'd suggest that for this price point; going to the store and playing everything that meets criteria, and taking home the best one. I've played some Sterlings that surprised me. Check them out if you don't think they're too wonky.

User Info Menu

Strat trems can take some setting up (as you may already know) - the one on mine's been blocked forever. 5-way switching is going to get you some quack and I dig the way Wayne Krantz uses pos. 2 (bridge-middle) though, in decades of use, I've never found a place for "pos. 4" (neck-middle). I rewired it to get neck+bridge and middle pup sans tone control, which actually rawks. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I have a Fender American Std Strat. It would not stay in tune until I screwed the bridge down within an inch of its life. It was useless with the floating bridge. I am told that some careful work on the nut, saddles and who knows what else might have helped, but I didn't bother with all of that. I just left it screwed down. Eventually, I stopped playing it because I didn't like the radius. 9.5, I think. I like 12.

OTOH, my Yamaha Pacifica 012 stays in tune pretty doggone well with the floating bridge.

You could buy 4 or 5 Pacifica 012's for the price of the Fender. The Fender plays worse but sounds better. I still gig occasionally with the Yamaha. The Fender is in a closet somewhere.

User Info Menu

EART strat? I have never tried one in person (they're not available in any stores where I live). The specs look interesting - stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck, compound radius fingerboard. $399 USD. On-line reviews of EART stuff seem mostly positive.

Eart Guitars NK-VS60 Alnico V Pickups Classic Electric, Honey burst
    – EART-GUITAR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And the fucking birds.
    Yeah, never been a fan of the birds myself even if birds aren't real.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampguide
    EART strat? I have never tried one in person (they're not available in any stores where I live). The specs look interesting - stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck, compound radius fingerboard. $399 USD. On-line reviews of EART stuff seem mostly positive.

Eart Guitars NK-VS60 Alnico V Pickups Classic Electric, Honey burst
    – EART-GUITAR
    Nice thing about having an Eart is that you can get funny with the logo real easy.

User Info Menu

I had a H.E.R. Signature Strat, the silver one. I really liked the finish on it, but me and strats just don't get along. I can't get the action right, and after losing a few practice sessions to tinkering, I sell them. I don't want to fix guitars, I want to play them.

So anyway, my point is... that silver H.E.R. strat was really pretty.

User Info Menu

I would go with a MIM Fender Player Strat. Beautiful guitars, 2 point trems, great necks, no worries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have a Fender American Std Strat. It would not stay in tune until I screwed the bridge down within an inch of its life
    Mine stays in tune perfectly and I make use of the trem quite often, sometimes I can do divebombs with it. If you do a proper setup it can work perfect.

From my experience tuning issues with Strats are often caused by the saddle or when the strings are not well attached to the machine heads.

User Info Menu

Definitely not looking to do any divebombs...little 1/2 and 1/4 step scoops, yes.

Thanks folks, lots of good ideas...the good news is obviously that there's probably more guitars of this style out there than, well, any other...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodog
    Mine stays in tune perfectly and I make use of the trem quite often, sometimes I can do divebombs with it. If you do a proper setup it can work perfect.

From my experience tuning issues with Strats are often caused by the saddle or when the strings are not well attached to the machine heads.
    Disappointing that a new $1000 Fender guitar doesn't come in usable condition.

And, my Yamaha guitar, in a $179 kit which includes amp, carry bag, cable and instruction book, plays great.

User Info Menu

Bought mine in 2011 for 1100€ Euros new. I did not find any quality issues.

It is the version with the 2-point trem. I also had a MIM Classic Player (i think it was from 2007) with the 6-point, that also played well.

But maybe I am just some kind of a Fen-boy.

User Info Menu

I always take out the 2 middle screws on the 6 point trems. Got that tip from Andy Timmons

User Info Menu

The Ibanez Jeff posted looks cool if you need new.
    Me,
    • used MIM Strat
    • used Squier - I see some cool older Squiers from the Korean and even Japanese days for $500
    • used G&L Tribute.

User Info Menu

A used post '12 MIM Strat would be my first choice, after looking at what Hammer has available

User Info Menu

This gentleman discusses the PRS Silver Sky SE (Korean) & Silver Sky USA versions:

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It's John Mayer and the PRS headstock, innit?

User Info Menu

I was about to offer $400 for this on Steel Guitar Forum. But then, I’m gray haired, overweight, and 70 years old with 8 guitars and 4 amps. 4 Sale: 1997 Blonde Fender Pro Tone Stratocaster : The Steel Guitar Forum

User Info Menu

No one will I suppose be interested in a GDR (Musima) vintage Strat-a-like restoration - but........

Again, considering an inexpensive Strat style guitar-musima-multistar-front-jpg

Again, considering an inexpensive Strat style guitar-musima-multistar-back-jpg

Again, considering an inexpensive Strat style guitar-musima-multistar-headstock-jpg

Again, considering an inexpensive Strat style guitar-musima-multistar-rear-view-jpg

Again, considering an inexpensive Strat style guitar-musima-multistar-front-view-jpg

... on UK E-Bay for the past year or so there's been an interesting looking (70's?) Musima 'Multistar' strat copy - with sunburst body, maple neck, simplified tone/volume & selector switch & non-standard controls for the 3 pickups. Frets look worn flat (a good sign, imo!) - but there's a nice string line and at around £270- plus £50- postage from Ukraine, it could be a great project guitar (refret, improved nut spacing, overall clean-up, maybe upgrade a few components...). Yes, you'd probably end up spending £500- eventually - but you'd own a vintage, quite rare and freshly optimised original piece.....nice !

This seller from war-torn Zaporizhia, Ukraine, ships his items as one parcel, with separated neck and body (due to postal dimension restrictions) that thereby halves the Ukrainian international postage rate. I've bought two Musimas from him in recent times - both arrived safely and well-packed, despite the ongoing war.

Looks like a great old piece with good potential - and I might well end up buying it myself.......turn back the clock, and practise all that Ted Turner / Wishbone Ash stuff ! .....