The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Getting an Elferink Tonemaster, about a handful of years ago, was what really got me into playing archtops. And last year I was lucky enough to get another Elferink! A huge 1925.

They compliment each other perfectly: The smaller Tonemaster with flats and a Kent Armstrong humbucker for the slightly darker sound. The 1925 - which also projects very well acoustically - with a DeArmond singlecoil and roundwounds for a more open and bright sound.

Here they are played up next to each other with more emphasize on the electric sound, so the differences are less pronounced.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well done! I've always been interested in Elferink guitars though I've never seen or played one.

User Info Menu

Elferink's deserve more love.My Excalibur is my favorite guitar and comes close to an old D'angelico in sound and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by rrbasic
    Well done! I've always been interested in Elferink guitars though I've never seen or played one.
    Thank you! The ones I have tried (which, unfortunately, is only these two) are really great instruments, so they are absolutely worth looking out for

User Info Menu

I know where a 2005 Excalibur is for sale at $4000. pm me if interested. I used to be mine I sold it and the fellow wants to sell it now.

User Info Menu

They look huge! Nice playing a lovely sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I know where a 2005 Excalibur is for sale at $4000. pm me if interested. I used to be mine I sold it and the fellow wants to sell it now.
    That's a good price! I would love to get an Excalibur at some point, but am commited to a build about to start very soon. Unfortunately I can't make both happen right now. Is it for sale in the US?

User Info Menu

yes in us

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeko
    They look huge! Nice playing a lovely sounds.
    Thank you! The 1925 is considerably bigger, but the Tonemaster does look pretty large.

User Info Menu

In addition to the nice guitars, your playing is especially tasteful!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    In addition to the nice guitars, your playing is especially tasteful!
    Thank you, Woody! Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Nice playing, sir

I’m the proud owner of an Elferink (Moderne)

It’s a thing of beauty. Tone and craftsmanship off the chart.

Incredible luthier. I’m amazed he doesn’t get a lot more love around these parts

User Info Menu

Not being in the United States is the issue with Frans Elferink. He makes a great guitar and does wonderful repair work from what I can tell. However, getting the guitar from Europe is not as easy as the US and players around here really have not encountered these guitars. That could be one reason why Gibson L5s are the top of the food chain for selling. They are plenty of them around most players have seen them and played an L5. They are yet rare enough and costly that not everyone owns one for sure. They are not basically being made at the moment but plenty of used ones to buy.

The boutique guitar market like Frans is part of is all over the place. In general, unless you are some famous makers known in the US like Mark Campellone, or John Monteleone, and a few others, then the market of buyers is limited. These guitars are in many ways as good or better than Gibson L5's but they are still not in the same league really. If I were much younger and wanted a nice carved top guitar then I might very well go for one the less known boutique guitars. You would pay less and be able to play it out without worrying about things that a vintage L5 might make you less adventuresome.

I am pretty sure a mint Wes L5 sells for about the same as a Mark Campellone 1 pickup built-in guitar. I think Vinny has one. I also think Mark C builds a better guitar in all regards, but it still does not say Gibson on the headstock. I even wonder if a Gibson would not command more money than the Campy? All I can say it that it is not fair...........but that is the business of the used guitar market.

User Info Menu

Loved your playing, Martin, and as a former Elferinkite, I know what you see talking about. Great guitars.

User Info Menu

Two Elferinks-img_0050-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0049-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0054-jpegTwo Elferinks-img_0047-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0047-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0050-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0049-jpgTwo Elferinks-img_0054-jpegWell I’ll add my 2 cents being an owner of a Elferink Tonemaster as well. I ended up going with Frans due to the favorable dollar exchange rate at the time. I felt after listening to enough sound clips and doing research I would get closer to what I wanted for less money.

I was really impressed and still am by Mark Campellones guitars, but they were at least $1500 more than an equivalent Elferink at that time. I was vey pleased working with Frans on the specs. And was very pleased with the instrument as well!

Unfortunately I don’t use it as much any longer, but will keep it unless I can recoup my investment.
    Attached Images Attached Images Two Elferinks-img_0051-jpeg 

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    Nice playing, sir

I’m the proud owner of an Elferink (Moderne)

It’s a thing of beauty. Tone and craftsmanship off the chart.

Incredible luthier. I’m amazed he doesn’t get a lot more love around these parts
    Thank you
    Yes, I am very glad that I was lucky and found the Tonemaster locally, so that I got a chance to try it out. Like deacon Mark said, having the guitars out where they can be experienced really makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Loved your playing, Martin, and as a former Elferinkite, I know what you see talking about. Great guitars.
    Thank you, Rob! That means a lot especially coming from you, since your videos were a big part of the research that made me decide on getting the first Elferink (well, actually the 1925 too, because your videos really showed the acoustic quatilies that I was looking for in a second archtop).

I just made a new clip with the Tonemaster. It is intended for booking, but since it showcases the Elferink I wouldn't cheat you all from hearing it

User Info Menu

Nice sound. Nice playing.