The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I just ordered a used KP in cognac burst. As I don't know much about cognac:
    From pictures the colour sometimes seem to look more like orange, sometimes it looks more brownish.

Is it just the photo or does the colour vary from guitar to guitar that much?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mine is about 15 years old, but assuming the color is the same, it's amber to a deep burgundy.

User Info Menu

Cognac burst is an awesome look. Nice wood grain on the cherry (laminate) top.

I miss having a Kingpin. Prob will get another sometime soon.

User Info Menu

I've been looking a reverb listing for awhile on these, and they do seem to be quite different, guitar to guitar. I guess some of it could be the lighting on the pictures, but I've seen them look like cherry burst (red/yellow)to tobacco burst(brown/yellow), and everything in-between. I don't know if Godin cares if they all look like or not? Or if maybe the older ones age and darken over time (they would have to be lacquer to do that: IDK what clear coat Godin uses).

User Info Menu

Godin Kingpin P90 cognac burst - orange or brown?-cognac-jpg
    That's it !

User Info Menu

The figuring and probably the shade of the underlying wild cherry wood vary a lot. Product photos for the web are often taken in mixed light without professional attention to the white balance or proper post-adjustment. Cognac was the best description for my sample. Why?There's got to be 50 shades of whisky...
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 03-22-2024 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Whiskey is Cognac now? I hear the howls of rage in the highlands of Scotland and sputters of indignation in Cognac. It is almost as bad as the time I was in St Andrews and confused Gaelic for Celtic.

Just kidding, Gitterbug. I love Finland.

The guitar arrived yesterday. Happy, that it's not as orange as in the pics.

Plays and sounds well after I put new Thomastik JS112 on it.

I guess, that the quality of pics vary more, than the guitars.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Cosmo! Play the hell out of that thing. I have a black one. I have others that get much more play, but I have a soft spot for the Kingpin and will keep it for the duration.

Photography: making color correct photos is actually very difficult. There's variation in the cameras, the lighting and the various screens displaying. Pictures on the web can't be taken literally when it comes to the subtleties of a burst finish. Yellow/amber/orange/brown is tricky territory. I'm glad yours is to your liking!

User Info Menu

As far as I know there’s no color variation in these. They all look exactly the same IRL.

I did come across a Montreal Premiere prototype that was in a cool tea burst. Hard to resist the urge to get it, but the budget was tight at that time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodog
    The guitar arrived yesterday. Happy, that it's not as orange as in the pics.

Plays and sounds well after I put new Thomastik JS112 on it.

I guess, that the quality of pics vary more, than the guitars.
    The post seems kind of incomplete without a picture!

Godin Kingpin P90 cognac burst - orange or brown?-20240327_200417-jpg

You mean: no pic = no guitar?

(oops, it falls aside...)

User Info Menu

Enjoy it!

Still the best budget archtop like, ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodog

You mean: no pic = no guitar?
    LOL, well I heard that somewhere.

Mr. B. is right...excellent bang for the buck. I have one version of the 5th Avenue. It's actually for sale because I couldn't get comfortable with the flatter radius fingerboard. Still a great guitar, though.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Whiskey is Cognac now?
    Lol, colour-wise that'd have to be bourbon whiskey (even) ^^

I hear the howls of rage in the highlands of Scotland
    Indeed, they make whisky, not whiskey!