The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

When I got my 700 it had Bebop12s. The lower strings were far too flabby for the style I play. It has a neck mount floater and
    I mostly play plugged in. After a bit of research I decided on some Martin Retro Monel 12s. They have been great. So after two sets of those I thought I'd try the 13s. They've been on for about a day now and have settled down. They are great as well but seem hellish tight and caused me a little anxiety when installing them! - concerned for my budget fully carved archtop! I was wondering whether I should have stuck with 12s and perhaps beefed up the plain strings a la Jonathan Stout.
    I've checked the action and relief. I've got action at 12th of 2mm treble side and 3mm bass side, relief (stopping at 1st and 15th) of a smig less than 0.5mm both sides.
    Should I just shuddup and play it?
    Loar LH700 - using heavier strings-20240320_112317-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I were using it as a straight up rhythm box, I'd tough out the heavy strings...

Since you're mostly playing plugged in, go for comfort. I like to use a set of .012's and then just replace the trebles with those from a set of .013s.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If I were using it as a straight up rhythm box, I'd tough out the heavy strings...

Since you're mostly playing plugged in, go for comfort. I like to use a set of .012's and then just replace the trebles with those from a set of .013s.
    Good advice. The 13s are lovely acoustically though ie when I play at home. I think I need 2 Loars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Good advice. The 13s are lovely acoustically though ie when I play at home. I think I need 2 Loars!
    Maybe that's the solution!

I sometimes regret selling mine. The V neck was just a bit too sharp for me though...it sounded so good set up for rhythm playing, and the V was super comfortable for that... I should have just kept it for that...but it sounded good doing other stuff too, I wanted to use it for everything...but the V neck/heavy string setup I was using just was too much for trying to play solos or solo pieces...so I ended up just not playing the guitar much. Bummer. Should have just bought two

I mostly play rhythm with my band. We don't use a drummer so it's just me and a tuba in the rhythm section. We do wriiten old arrangements. The loar is perfect for that. I'm determined to persevere with the 13s even with my arthritic fingers! Occasionally I solo over the odd chorus and have to make something up if there's a drum break! I'm ok with solos but when your hands have been locked in to fretting and strumming chords for a while it's like getting out of bed first thing in the morning and getting your body moving!!

User Info Menu

I could be wrong but I get the sense you’re in the UK.

In which case*, could do a lot worse than giving Newtone strings a call. Their Archtop strings are fantastic acoustically and electrically. And they have done me custom sets at no extra cost (basically their standard 12s but with a 17 for b and a 13 for e)…effectively actioning Jeff’s suggestion at source

*even if you’re not in the UK, the recommendation still stands!

They do monels as well and may even be willing customise those

no affiliation, by the way, I’m just really impressed by their product and service

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    I could be wrong but I get the sense you’re in the UK.

In which case*, could do a lot worse than giving Newtone strings a call. Their Archtop strings are fantastic acoustically and electrically. And they have done me custom sets at no extra cost (basically their standard 12s but with a 17 for b and a 13 for e)…effectively actioning Jeff’s suggestion at source

*even if you’re not in the UK, the recommendation still stands!

They do monels as well and may even be willing customise those

no affiliation, by the way, I’m just really impressed by their product and service
    Thank you.
    I have come across Newtone strings in the past. I shall have to revisit them again.
    A custom set at no extra cost is good. Could be wrong but I think Jonathan Stout uses a 14 and 18 with his 12 sets.

User Info Menu

I have been using the equivalent of a Spectrum AC112 set with a 13 1st and 16 2nd for the past year and a half or so, without any noticeable ill effects. That's a 57 low E (same tension as the Spectrum 59 equivalent).
    I did try a 14 1st and/or 17 2nd and found they were too much for me but that the instrument sounded stiffled too.

FWIW, when considering an acoustic,electric pair I'd go for the cheaper LH300 to electrify (that's the laminate B&S version of the LH600).

User Info Menu

A custom set looking like this could work well for you purposes: 13, 16/17, 24, 32, 42, 54/56

I believe the scale length of your Loar is 24.75", so tension should be reasonably comfortable.

Martin Retro Monels are probably one of the few string types that I've never tried but, after a quick search, the 12 gauge set with bigger plains could certainly fit the bill if you like'em.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I have been using the equivalent of a Spectrum AC112 set with a 13 1st and 16 2nd for the past year and a half or so, without any noticeable ill effects. That's a 57 low E (same tension as the Spectrum 59 equivalent).
    I did try a 14 1st and/or 17 2nd and found they were too much for me but that the instrument sounded stiffled too.

FWIW, when considering an acoustic,electric pair I'd go for the cheaper LH300 to electrify (that's the laminate B&S version of the LH600).
    Thank you for your comments.
    When I was looking at the 600 and 700 I knew that was the only avenue for me to get a fully carved archtop. At the time I was using a laminated Fenix FAE8 with a neck mount mini hb in my band. It worked really well with almost a CC tone! I wanted something that 'looked the part'. I suppose I could have got a 300 but the 700 became available and was not much more than a 300! and the pickup was already on it. I was very lucky.
    Here's a pick of the FAE8.
    Loar LH700 - using heavier strings-20240222_120323-jpg

User Info Menu

I have been running Martin Monel 13s on my Loar LH300 for years, without any problems. With that chunky neck (love it!) I guess you could run 15s without any problems...