The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I asked Suno the songwriting AI to write a song about "being overwhelmed by the huge number of guitars I love"
    the result was "Strings of Passion", same lyrics in two different arrangements
    1. Strings of Passion | Suno2. Strings of Passion | Suno

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No comments about the state of/ threat of artificial intelligence in musical composition? I think the two compositions are pretty awful.
    But they did both get composed in less than 60 sec.
    And I also think a lot of pop songs are pretty awful.

User Info Menu

60 seconds? My advice to Suno: "slow down dude, nobody needs a tune that fast!"

Maybe it'll learn how to develop an idea one day instead of just spitting out the first thing it 'thinks' of.

User Info Menu

Thought: I doubt there's much to worry about in the jazz world. AI is all about making money, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Horrid

User Info Menu

I'm amazed the tech has come this far.

The lyrics are as good as most of what is being currently published. A level well above what the local amateur singer/songwriters are doing. The music is a placeholder. AI is capable of much more sophistication in melody and harmonic content. Don't think it was asked to in this instance.

I think what we're seeing here is the birth of great tools. Someone who writes music can use this to generate ideas, some usable lyrics, and provide basic chord progressions and possibly melody. It will offer ideas for a bridge or coda. Will make composers a lot more productive and likely raise the quality. It will also allow amateurs, those will little knowledge of music theory and chord structure, to tap into more complex progressions and transitions and styles. If you're writing on guitar, you can use AI tools to generate horn parts. We are at the dawn of an age. Maybe it will replace musicians.. more likely it will elevate those with the intellectual wherewithal to apply the tools to another level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Thought: I doubt there's much to worry about in the jazz world. AI is all about making money, isn't it?
    Yeah, sure, but jazz would make a great training case for AI. Highly intellectual with lots of unwritten rules no clear definition of what it actually is that doesn't involve asking a panel of jazz experts.

(About 22 years ago someone coined the term neuromancy for the then still up-and-coming "science" of taking a large neural network and training it with "backprop" to give the desired answers on a training set and then calling it a model of whatever that set represented ... I've never forgotten that term.)

User Info Menu

Very impressive how spot on to Current Pop trends this is. I think due to how the music business works it will replace humans pretty much altogether.
    I say this because it’s a Walmart type of business model,where very few make the $$$ Engineers,Musicians, Studio Time etc everything needed to make the product which was expensive is basically replaced by a cheaper alternative.

I don’t think the public really cares how the sausage was made, or can hear the difference. That’s why current Pop imo so awful!
    But in fairness it’s not John Coltrane, Lol!

User Info Menu

AI art is horrid shit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Very impressive how spot on to Current Pop trends this is.
    True, everything (vocals included) already has to sound ostentatiously as if generated by computer so the A"I" doesn't even have to work very hard to make things sound natural...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    AI art is horrid shit.
    I agree, it usually looks either like the sort of non-art (nart?) you'll see printed on tasteless t-shirts, or like the photos made by someone who just discovered the HDR function.

So you don't think we're at the dawn of an era where art school teach you how to master your 21st C e-slaves so they produce generate award-winning art?

One thing where AI might be quite good is in making Escher-like drawings.

User Info Menu

Again current Pop Music sounds artificial anyway. So the AI trend is spot on to what people listen to already.

Pop music I agree has always been mostly horrid from the beginning. But at least it Real Musicians and collaborators to make the product. So something as horrid as Sonny and Cher “The Beat Goes On” At least had Carol Kay’s improved bass line.

So for me the bottom line is technology has allowed absolute Un musical people take over the business and as long as they turn profitable results, that’s all that matters. Welcome the McDonaldazation of Music!

User Info Menu

I saw a great meme today.

It said basically, the problem is not AI, but what we're using it for. I want AI to do my dishes and laundry so I have time to paint and make music, not to make music and art so I have time to do the dishes and laundry.

User Info Menu

Artless Impersonation
    Awfully Inadequate
    Artistically Incapable
    Artificial Incoherence
    Awkward Incongruity
    Absent Imagination
    Alleged Innovation

User Info Menu

Sounds like a theme song for a kids tv show on nickelodeon in the 90s.