The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Found a consignment 2022 sunburst Ibanez GB10 at Dave's Guitar Shop and made an offer which was accepted. Shipping out tomorrow I hope - should have it by the end of the week. Was real impressed with the folks at Dave's and would definitely buy from them again. Been looking for one of these for a while and wanted one new enough that I didn't have to worry about binding rot. Have read a lot about the hot pickups in the newer ones, but I mostly play at home these days so won't be doing much volume-wise. If I do play out, it'll be solo chord melody stuff and some standards with very light backing tracks in assisted living venues so won't be doing much of anything loud. Thanks to JackZ for his advice - always appreciated. The wait begins..........

Got here today after Fedex said Sunday - not complaining. Guitar appears virtually new and unplayed. I'm a happy camper!!!
    Last edited by Skip Ellis; 03-23-2024 at 02:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great guitars. Enjoy, Skip!

User Info Menu

Hey Skip,
    I wish you the best of luck with your guitar. It sounds like you did your homework. The GB is a very special guitar. The longest running signature guitar for a reason. It bears the name of the main reason I play Jazz guitar. George is a legend. And your new guitar is a legend as well.
    The GB guitars make me a better player the moment I pick one up. I can’t tell you why. You just fly on a GB guitar. You will notice this immediately. The guitar just gets out of the way and your playing will take over. No obstacles.
    You did good.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Enjoy Skip.

Look forward to reading your NGD

User Info Menu

I played a nice consigned vintage Japan model for sale at a locally owned store. Seemed like real potential, neither they nor the owner bothered to clean it up, corroded strings and metal parts, high banana action. I asked if I could take it (paid) and clean it up, set it up myself at my cost, if I could return it if not happy. They declined. Around a year later it's still there.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-21-2024 at 09:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I played a nice consigned vintage Japan model for sale at a locally owned store. Seemed like real potential, neither they nor the owner bothered to clean it up, corroded strings and metal parts, high banana action. I asked if I could take it (paid) and clean it up, set it up myself at my cost, if I could return it if not happy. They declined. Around a year later it's still there.
    Too bad that it wasn't appreciated more. Mine was listed as 'excellent' and was told 'no issues' and I think Dave's has a pretty good reputation so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Yes, they are great guitars, especially if you don't have very large hands- I don't, and Mr. Benson doesn't either. Fwiw, I have an original issue (1977!) GB10, that I picked up from a local store back in East Texas ~ 15-20 years ago. It had been briefly used by the 1st owner, then literally sat in it's case in the guy's garage for like 20-25 yrs- we're talking high humidity year round, temps could dip to below freezing occasionally in winter, and summer temps routinely mid 90s (or higher) for 3-4 months. Still played and sounded great, the neck and action are perfect. Yes, I had to replace the pickguard, which had crystalized, and the tuning keys as they were also failing, the gold was tarnished and much of the cosmetic binding is gone. So it's authentically relic'd, lol! But it sounds and plays incredible- good luck!

User Info Menu

Congrats!

Like many players I’m restless by nature and am easily tempted by other guitars, but I can honestly say that I stopped eyeing other archtops since I got my GB10. I had to sell a much, much more expensive, heirloom-grade Collings CL Jazz to fund my GB10 and have no regrets at all. You won’t hear me say that one guitar is “better” than another but the GB10 does exactly what I require an archtop to do, it inspires me to play and it’s very comfortable. All of that is personal, but still… #happy I had a brief scare recently with mine when the weather changed from super-wet to super-dry but it’s been inspected, all is well and it plays better than ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph2
    Yes, they are great guitars, especially if you don't have very large hands- I don't, and Mr. Benson doesn't either.!
    Small nuts/necks on these? I hadn't heard that before (or paid attention to the specs, apparently...)

User Info Menu

Delivery delayed until Sunday but here's the photos from Dave's
    Incoming This Week  GB10 **Update***-dcs_1656-jpgIncoming This Week  GB10 **Update***-dcs_1658-jpgIncoming This Week  GB10 **Update***-dcs_1659-jpgIncoming This Week  GB10 **Update***-dcs_1657-jpgIncoming This Week  GB10 **Update***-dcs_1660-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Small nuts/necks on these? I hadn't heard that before (or paid attention to the specs, apparently...)
    Without checking or measuring, I believe the scale length is less than on L5 type archtops. It feels very similar to a Les Paul neck, including the width (ie, not narrow). Sorry for any confusion.

User Info Menu

I played this one at Dave's and have been dithering about getting it ever since. I was happy (for my peace of mind) that someone took it away. Congratulations! This one felt like it wanted me to take it home, but I'm sure it can be happy with you. The neck and fingerboard seemed to anticipate where my fingers were going next. The feel of the instrument was absolutely fantastic. I never plugged it into an amp, but there was no need. With the right amp and strings you can make it sound like anything. The feel (for me) was perfection. Play it with joy.

User Info Menu

Oh man, that's a great one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph2
    Without checking or measuring, I believe the scale length is less than on L5 type archtops. It feels very similar to a Les Paul neck, including the width (ie, not narrow). Sorry for any confusion.
    Yeah, I looked up the specs, it's a Gibson scale 24-3/4", and a 1-11/16" nut (so, not narrower than normal).

User Info Menu

I have a 1981 GB10 in natural that I've had for 38 years. I only have one guitar that I've had longer. It's a wonderful instrument with, as is mentioned in almost every discussion of these, a fabulous neck. I have always really liked the look of the sunburst ones and this is a particularly nice example. I love the little mini sunburst on the back of the headstock!

Enjoy, Skip! Spend some time exploring the total palette one can get from twiddling the knobs. With the very high output pickups that these typically have, I have found that having the volume set at around 4 results in a nice dark, warm sound that's distinct from the bright, poppy George Benson sound that's usually associated with this model. Of course, it'll do that too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    The neck and fingerboard seemed to anticipate where my fingers were going next. The feel of the instrument was absolutely fantastic. I never plugged it into an amp, but there was no need. With the right amp and strings you can make it sound like anything. The feel (for me) was perfection.
    That’s exactly it. And it’s not picky about amps, will sound really nice through lots of amps.

User Info Menu

Congrats! You can't go wrong with this guitar. Everyone should own one (or two) of these!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    I played this one at Dave's and have been dithering about getting it ever since. I was happy (for my peace of mind) that someone took it away. Congratulations! This one felt like it wanted me to take it home, but I'm sure it can be happy with you. The neck and fingerboard seemed to anticipate where my fingers were going next. The feel of the instrument was absolutely fantastic. I never plugged it into an amp, but there was no need. With the right amp and strings you can make it sound like anything. The feel (for me) was perfection. Play it with joy.
    Well, it got here a day early and it's better than I expected - appears virtually unplayed. Setup is good with some flatwounds - not sure what kind - would you guess Chromes or TI after playing it? I've never used TIs so can't judge.

User Info Menu

Not TI, but Dave's often put new strings on when they send out a guitar.

User Info Menu

Probably D'Addario, although if that's the case they will have the color-coded ball ends. An inspection mirror under the tailpiece would reveal that. TI will have silk wraps at the ball ends and tuner ends of the strings.

Always fun to get a new guitar! You inspired me to pull my GB10 out today and play it for a little while (I bought a Gibson ES-175 two weeks ago and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with that). These are such great guitars and they aren't quite like anything else out there.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the guitar Skip Ellis. Take those awful Chromes off and get some LaBellas!!! A man of refined tastes like yourself deserves purple wraps!

User Info Menu

I recently told myself I'm not buying another guitar...then someone does this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Well, it got here a day early and it's better than I expected - appears virtually unplayed. Setup is good with some flatwounds - not sure what kind - would you guess Chromes or TI after playing it? I've never used TIs so can't judge.
    How can you tell they are chromes? I have a set of strings on my L7 with this black cloth wrap by the ball end and can't remember what strings I put on last.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    How can you tell they are chromes? I have a set of strings on my L7 with this black cloth wrap by the ball end and can't remember what strings I put on last.
    Chromes aren’t wrapped, unless they’ve changed them since I last opened a set or the light ones are different from the heavier gauges I use.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar.
    Get ready to get better. New guitars sometimes do that, this one is a NO DOUBTER!
    Enjoy Skip!
    Joe D