The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hey there,

Long time forum follower, but this is my first post. Hoping to get some insight from all of the minds here that I respect so much.

I'm a longtime telecaster player. I have a G&L Bluesboy that is my main guitar at the moment and a 72 Thinline that is sentimental (first guitar I ever bought). I've got it in my head that I may want to take the plunge on a 'forever' archtop. I've narrowed it down to the following:

1996 Guild X-170 (from reputible guitar shop, online)

or a

1980's Fender D'Aquisto (from original owner, local)

Both have their merits, right? Would love to hear from the group if there's a clear winner here. The D'Aquisto is more expensive, but let's just say price aside, which would be the winner? Is there a clearly 'better' guitar?

Thanks!

Ken

Guild X-170 or Fender D'Aquisto-product-1-jpeg
    Guild X-170 or Fender D'Aquisto-00a0a_beex1okatro_0t20ci_1200x900-jpg
    Last edited by seenovision; 03-18-2024 at 05:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've always had a thing for the Fender D'Aquisto but beyond that I always prefer anything I can actually put my hands on first. I'd start by trying the Fender D'Aquisto and seeing if it really excites you. If it does, then buy it and enjoy it. If it doesn't then take a shot on the Guild.

User Info Menu

There's no such thing as a forever archtop I am afraid
    Or maybe there is but in that case I think it would be a Gibson L5 Ces

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seenovision
    Hey there,
    Long time forum follower, but this is my first post. Hoping to get some insight from all of the minds here that I respect so much...

User Info Menu

I had a Guild X170. A fine guitar. and affordable.

It will depend on your taste and desire for "jazz" tones. The Guild did not have the tone of a big ol' Gibson, because it's not one, and not priced like one. And...it's not a Telecaster, so, you will have a different kind of guitar! And maybe an easy transition from a Tele to a jazz box.

I like Jim Soloway's advice. When spending that amount of money, you should play the guitar in question.

User Info Menu

To me this is not an easy choice they are different but can do the same thing. The Guild has 2 pickups that might be great for some but not for me. The Guild looks sharp nice flame and gold. The Fender is a fine jazz box that will work. To me the only way to go is you have to play them both and decide which one fits the best. I cannot say which one is better price does not mean all that much they are both probably close. Because I know the Fender better that would be my choice if I could not play them ahead of time. For me it would be the sound and the neck.

Good luck lets us know how it works out.

User Info Menu

The specs on these two are pretty different. The Guild has a block under the bridge, a second, pickup and thinner body, so it shades a bit toward a semi-hollow. The Fender is a full depth archtop, with a spruce top. It’s not that one is better than the other; they’re apples and oranges.

All that said, for my tastes and purposes I’d rather have the D’Aquisto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The specs on these two are pretty different. The Guild has a block under the bridge, a second, pickup and thinner body, so it shades a bit toward a semi-hollow. The Fender is a full depth archtop, with a spruce top. It’s not that one is better than the other; they’re apples and oranges.

All that said, for my tastes and purposes I’d rather have the D’Aquisto.
    Did not know it had a block under the bridge. In that case for a pure jazz box I would not be incline to go that route. Learn something new everday. Thought is was straight hollowbody but a block changes the equation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Did not know it had a block under the bridge. In that case for a pure jazz box I would not be incline to go that route. Learn something new everday. Thought is was straight hollowbody but a block changes the equation.
    It ain't much of a "block" at all. More like a thin 1/2" (approx) post under the bridge area which in the long haul helps keep the top from collapsing due to string pressure. I just let mine go, a 1998. It was a really nice guitar you can play just about anything on but the lack of fret access didn't work out for me. The Guild has a narrower neck width that some guys do not like. I have large hands and had no problem. A little less "thunk" than a big hollowbody but the tone was rich and warm.

Deacon Mark said he didn't like the pickups. Well, there are three different pickups in those X-170's, so which ones? The original and now very expensive earlier Guild pickups, then Duncan designed pickups, then less loved often maligned Fender made pickups. The '96 would have the Duncans, and they are excellent IME. Further, the pickups have two adjustment screws on each side so they don't tilt like a Gibson pickup does, which allows for more accurate setup. I thought that was a smart design feature.

Never tried the D'Aquisto but the build quality and attention to detail on my X-170 was excellent. Even had a real nice factory case. I don't think you can make a "bad" decision here. If you are playing more than strictly jazz the Guild will be more versatile. Good luck!

User Info Menu

They’re both good guitars. Having owned both, I can say the biggest difference would be which pickups you prefer the sound of. 1996 is right around the time Guild switched from their own HB-1 pickups to Duncan-made ones with the same outer casing (then to Fender-made ones). Some really like the HB-1 sound (including me) but its brighter than a typical PAF-type. The Fender D’Aquisto has a Schaller pickup which I think sounds great but is a has its own sound.

Have you played the Fender? If you like its sound and find it fits you comfortwise, it might make sense to go with “a bird in the hand.” There’s nothing about the Guild that’s so much better that you’d be missing out.

User Info Menu

I've owned my D'Aquisto (same as this one, a blonde) for about a year now and played many gigs with it, just this weekend a Bigband concert with only Ellington and Basie tunes and this guitar did an excellent job (through my Henriksen BUD6) copping the classic Freddie Green sound, comping with 2 and 3-note voicings that were actually heard and felt through all the noise ....
    so it's capable of not only delivering a classic Bebop-type mellow sound but also a more stringent/stringy swing-type sound - hard to beat in that price range and on top of it all it's very comfortable, playable and a looker, too !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Another Great Guild! | I Love The Warm, Rich Tone | Comfortable Dimensions | 2000 Guild X-170 Review (youtube.com)
    A Rich Severson demo of the 170. He mentions the block. Guitar sounds nice.

User Info Menu

I've not played the Guild to compare, but my (now sold) Fender D'Aquisto Elite was one of the finest guitars I've ever played, regardless of price. They seem to be prone to long lacquer cracks, but aside from that, I think they may be the perfect laminate guitar when you consider price, comfort, tone, etc. Mine had an aftermarket PAF-style pickup, not the older, odd-sized Schaller pickup.

User Info Menu

I've played and worked on both. They're different and even more so in ways one can't objectively judge. I love Guilds. They're my eternal recommendation for the overlooked gem. They're easy to fall in love with when they're in your hands because they're really designed and built well; a player's guitar.
    When I was looking for a 16" gigging jazz box, the list of dream guitars was short and sweet and near the top of the list was the Fender D'A; a rare bird and all the ones I've tried have had inspiring mojo.
    Both of them are instruments that will get the job done if you're serious about making serious music. If you want pretty and collectable, get the Fender. If you want the instrument that will make you a better player, try them both if you can. That truly is the only test I can imagine at this point.
    One of them will make you feel that "I'm in love" feeling. Play the most challenging and satisfying piece of music you know, and see which of them shows you a side of yourself you didn't know.
    You'll know. Buy it and don't look back.

User Info Menu

I believe the Fender D'Aquisto came in more than one model. I think, without being sure, that one is more expensive than the other. So, that might be worth looking up.

I've never played either one, but I'll add this. One of the three best archtop sounds I ever heard came out of a Fender D'Aquisto into a Twin Reverb by a very good player. The other two were a 39 L5 played acoustically and a Guild Artist Award, played amplified.

User Info Menu

I didn't mention the harp tailpiece on the Guild was a pain in the neck to get the ball end to stay put during a restring but the design itself is beautiful enough to make up for it. I think it is the most beautiful tailpiece out there, save for perhaps Mark Campellone's beauties, those are works of art as well. Pure class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I've played and worked on both. They're different and even more so in ways one can't objectively judge. I love Guilds. They're my eternal recommendation for the overlooked gem. They're easy to fall in love with when they're in your hands because they're really designed and built well; a player's guitar.
    When I was looking for a 16" gigging jazz box, the list of dream guitars was short and sweet and near the top of the list was the Fender D'A; a rare bird and all the ones I've tried have had inspiring mojo.
    Both of them are instruments that will get the job done if you're serious about making serious music. If you want pretty and collectable, get the Fender. If you want the instrument that will make you a better player, try them both if you can. That truly is the only test I can imagine at this point.
    One of them will make you feel that "I'm in love" feeling. Play the most challenging and satisfying piece of music you know, and see which of them shows you a side of yourself you didn't know.
    You'll know. Buy it and don't look back.
    What a beautiful and poetic way to state the spiritual side of making music. Would work for a violinist or percussionist, a vocalist maybe too, but yes I can attest, that is the inner process I have gone through when choosing instruments for myself. Just saying.

User Info Menu

Guild all day.

User Info Menu

The Guild would make a good step up from a Tele, as someone else pointed out and they are spectacularly well made. Westerly Guild were like the Fuji-Gen/Terada of America.

I would go with the Fender for a more traditional archtop tone but I’ve never played one.

(edited)
    Last edited by Archie; 03-24-2024 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Very pleased with my X-150. Super build quality and bright sound which I like. But absolutely, if you can try both and let us know what you think of them.

Guild X-170 or Fender D'Aquisto-burst2_zps702c47a3-jpg

User Info Menu

I had the Guild for a number of years and loved it. It was a "wish I never sold it" guitar. The only reason I let it go was to help finance a hand-built archtop. I still miss it...

It was great for jazz but also could be very effective for blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    I’m a big Guild fan but have never found the X-170 to be very interesting. I’ve owned quite a few Guild archtops but passed over the X170 many times. It doesn’t scratch the itch a good X500 leaves and to me, sounds more muddy than a SF2, so it doesn’t fit into my taste.
    It would make a good step up from a Tele though, as someone else pointed out and they are spectacularly well made. Westerly Guild were like the Fuji-Gen/Terada of America.

I would go with the Fender but I have reservations about them too. I imagine they sound quite bright.

In the end, the one you enjoy the most, is the one to get. The fender will likely have better capital uplift. Guild X-170’s are pretty common and haven't moved much in price.
    No offense Archie, but your X-500 tone on "Moonlight In Vermont" is pretty hard to compare to just about anything because it is nothing short of phenomenal IMO.

As for an X-170 being muddy. Well, through a Twin there were never any issues with mud that couldn't be corrected with the EQ.

User Info Menu

All the talk about brightness, muddyness etc. is quite misleading IMHO : depending on the type of strings used, pickup height, action, choice of pick/cable(!!!)/amp/speaker/room the final result can vary so greatly that any broad statement is really not helpful. I've owned a Fender D'Aquisto Elite before (some 25 years) when they were not held in the high(er) esteem as currently and back then I did not bond with it, could not make it work for me with the amp etc. I had at the time. Now all these years later the second model came in last summer and it's been in constant use for all kinds of gigs ever since, it plays so easily, is stable and a true workhorse.

I am not THAT picky/particular when it comes to a specific neck shape, I can play and work with all kinds of string type and gauge and do not need much break-in time with a new instrument so my situation might differ from yours in that respect but I also believe that one should take a guitar at face value and work with what's there, give yourself some time and invest a little effort and good will, concentrate on the notes played and you might find the sweet spot after all. No guitar ticks all the boxes and that's what we all agree on here, don't we ?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    No offense Archie, but your X-500 tone on "Moonlight In Vermont" is pretty hard to compare to just about anything because it is nothing short of phenomenal IMO.

As for an X-170 being muddy. Well, through a Twin there were never any issues with mud that couldn't be corrected with the EQ.
    Hey Dawg Bone, no offence taken. In fact I could have worded my post somewhat better. I've gone back an edited my original comment because it was poorly written and on reading it back, I felt a little unfair.

A darker tone might have been a better description but I consider Jim Hall's tone to be muddy and he made a pretty good career out of that.

P.s That recording was with an X700 and the fact you enjoy the sound so much, always brings me joy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Hey Dawg Bone, no offence taken. In fact I could have worded my post somewhat better. I've gone back an edited my original comment because it was poorly written and on reading it back, I felt a little unfair.

A darker tone might have been a better description but I consider Jim Hall's tone to be muddy and he made a pretty good career out of that.

P.s That recording was with an X700 and the fact you enjoy the sound so much, always brings me joy!
    I can never find it on a youtube search so I'll let you slide this time (heh heh) if you send the video link to my inbox or at least just post it up on the forum. I'll bookmark it. It stands out to my ears in a big way, so much so that I can't forget hearing it. THE jazz tone for mellow stuff like that. My wife also loves old Guilds so who knows one day maybe I can talk her into getting me a nice X-700 just so I can play Moonlight in Vermont for her around the house. But I gotta start small so I need that link brother!