The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is from a free video lesson I posted but several folks were asking about recorded jazz guitar tone. I'm using guitar->Fractal FM9->Recording console.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you still have this guitar Jack? I've always like the tone you got out of these BK's. It has both a nice warmth and good clarity. I suspect that the 25.5" scale length helps with the clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Do you still have this guitar Jack? I've always like the tone you got out of these BK's. It has both a nice warmth and good clarity. I suspect that the 25.5" scale length helps with the clarity.
    Yes, I still have it. It's probably my favorite guitar although I think they all are.

In addition to the clarity, the kessel also has a cool combination of some velvety spruce tone but also some thunk with the tone control rolled off. I will go on record saying that my previous '63 kessel (this one is also a 63) sounded even better. Funny because the current one has original 63 pickups and electronics whereas the previous one had burstbucker pros...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Yes, I still have it. It's probably my favorite guitar although I think they all are.

In addition to the clarity, the kessel also has a cool combination of some velvety spruce tone but also some thunk with the tone control rolled off. I will go on record saying that my previous '63 kessel (this one is also a 63) sounded even better. Funny because the current one has original 63 pickups and electronics whereas the previous one had burstbucker pros...
    It's a really nice sound. Just very pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It's a really nice sound. Just very pleasing.
    thanks Jim, means a lot coming from you. I still look out for a used soloway. I miss those guitars so much.

User Info Menu

Hear hear. Amazing tone, Jack.

User Info Menu

The original 63 pickups are short magnet alnico 5's with urethane coated wire (unless you are lucky enough to have PAF's in which case it would have the older wire and a different decal). They were also wound to an exact specification unlike the earlier PAF's. Burstbucker Pro's are long magnet, alnico 5's with the older style wire and have different windings on each side (to simulate first generation PAF's). The two pickups are different enough to make the same guitar sound very different. You should consider getting a set of Burtstbucker Pro's to see if it will equal the tone you remember from your first Gibson BK.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The original 63 pickups are short magnet alnico 5's with urethane coated wire (unless you are lucky enough to have PAF's in which case it would have the older wire and a different decal). They were also wound to an exact specification unlike the earlier PAF's. Burstbucker Pro's are long magnet, alnico 5's with the older style wire and have different windings on each side (to simulate first generation PAF's). The two pickups are different enough to make the same guitar sound very different. You should consider getting a set of Burtstbucker Pro's to see if it will equal the tone you remember from your first Gibson BK.
    I would consider it but I have so many guitars that all sound different that I'm now of the mindset that I'll just use whichever one that inspires me. I spent almost $1k trying to improve the GB10 tone and in the end, it was merely a lateral move!

User Info Menu

I would consider it but I have so many guitars that all sound different that I'm now of the mindset that I'll just use whichever one that inspires me. I spent almost $1k trying to improve the GB10 tone and in the end, it was merely a lateral move!
    There are way too many rabbit holes to slip down. They're all expensive and they're usually not worth the money (none of which has ever stopped me until recently).