Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    to the OP

would you mind telling me the
    chords you use in bars 7 and 8

its a lovely movement
    Thanks, honestly not sure which chords you're referring to though. Probably best practice to transcribe it anyhow

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nflink
    That overdrive is coming from the Tukan plugin when I turn up the gain. You'd think surely there's a pedal out there that's similar.
    Again, the pedals I listed are very subtle, not Tube Screamer-ish (which I dislike a lot!) at all. And there are many imitators of TS's that don't call themselves such.

I wanted the pure tone of my guitars. So when I found it, I just bought these inexpensive pedals to Fatten up the signals a bit, pushing the amp pre-amp a bit harder, and yet NOT.

So, I'd recommend working your guitar pots to your liking to get the tone you want, and then using a subtle pedal to push it through a bit fatter.

I guess you already know this, so you just need that VSN Booster to do the work. And if it's some break-up (hair) that you desire, the pedal has a GAIN control to do just that.

Good luck in finding it. You've already mastered so much with your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nflink
    That overdrive is coming from the Tukan plugin when I turn up the gain. You'd think surely there's a pedal out there that's similar.
    It's up to you if you want to use a dirt pedal. I'm not the most experienced guitarist, but ime, dirt pedals destroy your jazz tone and make it sound brittle, and you're not going to get that warmth. You yourself said you've never heard that warmth from a pedal. Jazz is played clean, not distorted, so I don't see why you wouldn't approach it from the clean breakup avenue. It's pretty simple and not that expensive. 1/2 watt tube amp or something like that for a little hair with an eq pedal to fatten it up.

User Info Menu

There's lots of ways to get there but it takes a bit of time to find it.

I use a low wattage Fenderish amp that's a blend of BF, tweed and brown era amps mixed together (Fat Jimmy). When I play low volume I might use a Bluesbreaker type pedal with almost no gain (a King of Tone), and I'm not adverse to using an EQ and a compressor (both Empress) as well. It depends on the volume, and for me it changes from day to day. Some days I just leave everything off and it sounds fine! But it tends to only be perfect at one volume, just on the threshold of break up.

So you just need to experiment, but I think there are pedals out there that can help at very low gain.

Julian Lage is known for his love of low gain tweed amps, but when I saw him recently he was using a BF Deluxe type amp and a couple of pedals; one was called a "Big" pedal, and he has been known to use others. And a Flint for reverb. When he digs in he gets some of that grind happening. Using small tube amps like a tweed Champ is fine but it will only work at one volume perfectly, so even Lage has to go to another solution for bigger gigs.

User Info Menu

Very nice arrangement of a great old tune.

I like your tone--as do others here on the forum. I currently play in the pit orchestra of a local theater group and, occasionally, at a local coffee shop. My repertoire consists of "standard tunes" in the coffee shop and whatever musical the theater group is performing.

I use a thin line Gretsch (current model) played through a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue--no pedals at either location. I keep it as simple as possible when it comes to my basic "carry to the job" equipment. I use the Gretsch rather than any of the full size "jazz boxes" I own because it's smaller and more comfortable to play, and, if it were to be damaged in any number of ways, it could be easily replaced.

I last studied the guitar with Billy Bauer a number of years ago. He was of the mind that how you hold the pick and where you attack the strings relative to the fingerboard is one of important elements of your "tone" and that you should not overlook this when you select a guitar/amp combo.

If you can, keep it simple-you already have a nice smooth sound.

Tony D.
    Last edited by pilotony; 03-18-2024 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling