The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I bought one to move gear. Mine is similar to the one linked below.

The good: It holds a lot of gear. It cradles it. Stuff can't fall out unless you pile it on top. It rolls really well because the wheels are pretty big. The handle can be used at different angles and heights. It sets up and breaks down very easily. When it's open you just pull up on a strap in the center and it folds in half. You then clip it in position. To open it, unclip and it just falls into place. Seems pretty sturdy. No need for bungee cords. Much easier to cover distance with this compared to a hand truck. Claims to hold up to 265 lbs; I'd be surprised by that, but I never got anywhere close. I've probably gone up to maybe 70lbs which seemed fine.

The not so good: It doesn't stand up by itself when it's folded. It doesn't fold all that small. Takes up a good amount of room in the car trunk. It weighs something like 23 lbs, so it's a little awkward to move. Very awkward on stairs. If you need to reposition it in the trunk, watch your fingers.

Amazon.com
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 03-14-2024 at 09:39 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I bought one to move gear. Mine is similar to the one linked below.

The good: It holds a lot of gear. It cradles it. Stuff can't fall out unless you pile it on top. It rolls really well because the wheels are pretty big. The handle can be used at different angles and heights. It sets up and breaks down very easily. When it's open you just pull up on a strap in the center and it folds in half. You then clip it in position. To open it, unclip and it just falls into place. Seems pretty sturdy. No need for bungee cords. Much easier to cover distance with this compared to a hand truck. Claims to hold up to 265 lbs; I'd be surprised by that, but I never got anywhere close. I've probably gone up to maybe 70lbs which seemed fine.

The not so good: It doesn't stand up by itself when it's folded. It doesn't fold all that small. Takes up a good amount of room in the car trunk. It weighs something like 23 lbs, so it's a little awkward to move. Very awkward on stairs.

Amazon.com
    I got a cart with a tri-wheel arrangement instead of regular single wheels. It miraculously climbs over grades, curbs and stairs. Very solid. I'll have to build a bin-type arrangement so I can toss things in like yours. Combine good quaities of both.

User Info Menu

I have pert' near the same thing as the OP, bought from Amazon in 2020. It is quite sturdy.

I live in NYC, and I use mine for moving bunches of stuff from place to place – I have walked it 3/4 of a mile over city streets, and into the park over grassy knolls (originally bought it to take picnic supplies to the park during the pandemic). I have on occasion filled it full – mine has a string mesh to put over the top to keep things from falling out.

It's still in as good shape as the day I bought it.

User Info Menu

If your kid ever played “travel” sports and you went to an all day tournament these are everywhere to help carry your chairs and coolers between the various fields. Never thought of using for equipment but a great idea!

User Info Menu

My kids have them for festivals. They’re ubiquitous there.

Our keyboard player brought his stuff in on one on Tuesday. I wish I had had one—I foolishly brought too much gear (2 guitars and a uke) and had to make a couple of trips. But—I was able to park right beside the venue.

Anytime I think something like this would be reasonable, I think more about being minimal and not bringing too much gear.

I decided not to use the nylon string for this upcoming gig. Can’t hear it well over the keys and drums and sax anyway.

I have a regular old foldable luggage cart I bungee the amp and gear bag to, and carry my guitar either in a hard case by the handle or in a gig bag on my back.

Upside—I can carry my stuff in my Miata if I need to.

User Info Menu

Rock-n-Roller cart, available everywhere; sturdy and practical!

User Info Menu

I use one of these. Coleman.. takes my standar stuff : a L5 CT, a 335, a Fender Twin Tonemaster and some extra gear. No matter how big your cart is, it allways is not big enough. And it takes some skills to load it up in a way that it is stable. Tip: make a testdrive (slopes up and down, cobblestones etc) prior to the real trip..

Foldable Wagon Review-278898490_5280257485338546_3990913408715318265_n-jpg

I looked at the Rock N Roller too. One difference is that the foldable wagon has canvas sides so stuff can't fall out unless it's piled on top. I didn't want to be fooling around with bungees.

Which reminds me of a negative I forgot. You have to lift stuff up and over the side to get it in. If you're well enough organized it can go right out of the trunk into the wagon. But if you have to take heavy pieces out of the car and put them on the ground, then set up the wagon, you get an extra lift. Sounds like nothing, but for those of us at risk for getting hurt with a too-heavy lift, maybe it's worth mentioning.

The stair climbing triple wheels are useful (which the foldable carts don't have afaik). Even here in California there are venues which involve climbing stairs. One has a fancy elevator for the first few steps (mandated by ADA) but you'd have to leave your gear on the street while you found a bartender who knows how to work it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting your experience with your cart. Think most of us need something like this.

I've been using a Rock N Roller a long time. Main selling points for me are the adjustable bed length and the ability to go over reasonable obstacles. Most of my loose gear is already in a bag or case so not an issue for me. What is an issue with the Rock N Roller is, however, price. They've gotten kind of expensive.

User Info Menu

As long as there aren't too many stairs there's always this

Foldable Wagon Review-bakfiets_1_ed97d4079c-jpeg

User Info Menu

I use the Rockin Roller R12 with the all terrain wheels. I've used it on hundreds of gigs. It's worth the money and it looks very professional.

User Info Menu

An alternative to Rock-n-roller is Krane (Gruv Gear) - some nice stuff!

User Info Menu

I've been looking at carts for a while but haven't come across anything that looks right yet. I never thought about a foldable wagon until I saw this thread and the picture by @hotpepper01 make it look like a good option. I also like the idea that it can be used for hauling other stuff as well. At minimum I generally haul 2 guitars, amp, pedalboard and a gear bag with cables, stands, etc.