The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32
    I tried to set the guitar, but on the 12th fret it is not in tune, it is only in tune when empty, I tried to make adjustments by watching YouTube videos, but it is clear that my guitar has its limits. For learning it will be fine, then later I will buy something better.

The version I have of pressonus 6 is free, so it doesn't have much to set up.

I downloaded Guitar rig 7 free and it has many amps. Does anyone use it and can give me some advice on finding a good jazz sound?
    I'm currently trying to use JUMP (init) + Machine Cabinet Pro + studio reverb... but I haven't achieved a satisfactory sound yet.
    Advice is welcome, thanks always to everyone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

https://fendercustomersupport.micros...ticle/KA-01901

This is a nice guide to setup. It's written for Fender guitars, but there's a lot that's applicable more broadly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rosario
    ... but I haven't achieved a satisfactory sound yet. Advice is welcome, thanks always to everyone
    Rosario,
    what exactly is not satisfactory about the sound, give us a few more details.

Perhaps you can look at the following:
    - guitar volume on 50%
    - make sure you have the PreSonus ASIO drivers selected in the audio configuration for GuitarRig
    - I believe Presonus comes with its own control center software, check this out too
    - on the JUMP amp in GuitarRig 7, leave the Gain control very low and the Master on 50% (to start with), flat tone controls, set the Reverb mix to 20%

It's also possible that the guitar pickups just don't sound that great, have perhaps low output. I think if at all possible, take it to a shop (or friend) and play it through an amp and/or have somebody look at it. These sort of issues are difficult to diagnose remotely. if you give us more and specific information, or even record a sound sample/video, that might help as well.

I am sure that eventually we'll get this sorted and you'll have a jazz sound that you are happy with...

<edit> Rosario, I still recommend that you download the S-Gear 10day trial from https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear ... it's a fantastic modeller, I use it every day and it will give you all the jazz sounds you need. It'll also be much easier to help you troubleshoot your problems. It comes with over 100 presets. As long as you have the ASIO driver selected, it should work pretty well.. <edit over>
    Last edited by bloos66; 03-17-2024 at 07:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Have to agree on the Fender 20 or 40. Been looking for some time at an inexpensive, light, portable amp with a good clean sound. There are varying definitions in this group as to what "inexpensive" or "light" mean. Regardless, I kept looking and couldn't pass on a Fender Champion 20 for $50. Yes $50. Tried it this morning with an in inexpensive tele (by this I mean under $150) and frankly, with a stock speaker, it sounds pretty decent to my ears with little fiddling of the tone, gain, etc. A very reasonable choice indeed. Next, will have to try it out with my archtops but I have little doubt I can get what I want out of it. Better than lugging my Deluxe Reverb around.

User Info Menu

FYI, the previous owner of my Fender Champion 20 threw in a bluetooth connector to allow me to connect with my computer. I mean, how bad could this be?

User Info Menu

Rosario,
    check your private messages, I sent you 2 messages, one describing the preset I created with Guitar Rig 7 that sounds ok to me, plus a 2nd message with a link to the preset. Still nowhere near as good as with S-Gear but it should give you at least something to experiment with. I hope that screenshots work and come across ok.
    The 'Dirty Metal' preset sounds great for jazz as well, just roll back the guitar volume..

Any questions, just ask. Good luck and have fun experimenting.

Also - I might have made a mistake in the message, the input selector on the top left ... try L first and make sure that you have a signal in both channels, otherwise try the Stereo input. I got it mixed up, the L now works for me and I have a strong signal in both channels...

BTW - the Fender Champion 20 that ewall mentioned above looks like a great practice amp. Again, it's not one you want to connect to your audio interface, it's only got the headphone out signal. You could try though but as others have said, the results may not be that great...
    Last edited by bloos66; 03-18-2024 at 05:02 AM.

I managed to set up the guitar, now it sounds better.

These are the links I referred to in the various adjustments, so I am not a luthier sufficiently.

I found the internal tuner on guitar rig, excellent and simple to use, there is also an expert mode, in case you are interested.

Soon I will let you hear how the guitar sounds so that you can give me useful advice on optimizing the typical sound of the jazz guitar.