The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi there,

I'm looking for a small affordable amp to gig with. Looking for something under $250, don't care if it is solid state or tube, I don't need any special features. Hoping for something with a tighter, less boomy, low end. Loud enough to play small rooms with a PA. Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Fender Champion 40 or 50. They sound good, are fairly light, and sturdy.

Champion | Fender

User Info Menu

- Depending on your volume needs the Champion 20 could also work (smaller and cheaper than the 40)

- Orange Crush (there’s a 20 and a 35 watt)

- Maybe a used Peavey Bandit?

User Info Menu

Doesn't care if it's solid state or tube?

Doesn't want special features?

When is this guy going to get with the program?

(joking)

User Info Menu

Roland Cube 40/60/80 are pretty versatile amplifiers, and can cover everything from squeaky clean to pretty dirty and most everything in between. Reliable and cheap on the used market.

User Info Menu

Get an old Peavey solid state. They’re heavy as hell and the distortion is trash. But the clean channel is loud and clean.

When you get sick of the weight save up for a quilter. You’ll never need anything else.

User Info Menu

Yamaha G50 series 1 or 2. You won't need the PA.

User Info Menu

Boss Katana 50. Cheap, 22lbs, plenty of volume and has fx.

User Info Menu

I think my Champ 40 is still on sale here at a pretty good discount, not sure though. If you can get to a music store, most will have a bunch of low power, smaller amps for you to check out. It's the big expensive ones they don't usually have a lot of in stock.