The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is Blu Tack ok for Nitro on a guitar top? How long can you leave it on before it gets too stuck?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Our resident blu tack expert sgosnell will be along to answer that.
    sometimes I think he owns stock in the company

User Info Menu

I've use this to hold a floating pickup in place. When you remove it, you need to take a small piece off and roll it around the surface to get all the tiny bits off the guitar, but it leaves no permanent residue or damage.

User Info Menu

I don't own stock, I just have a lifetime supply from one order. A little goes a long way. I've had it on multiple guitars with nitro finishes for a few years, with no visible damage. It's holding Rhythm Chief pickups in place.

I actually got the idea to use the stuff from seeing Whit Smith use it to mount pickups on his old Gibsons. He's been using it (or something very like it) for a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

I actually got the idea to use the stuff from seeing Whit Smith use it to mount pickups on his old Gibsons. He's been using it (or something very like it) for a long time.
    Same. TK told me about Whit's approach, and I believe the 3M stuff I posted above is the same Whit uses.

However, Whit uses WAY too much. I'm sure people have told him that and he's ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't own stock, I just have a lifetime supply from one order. A little goes a long way.
    Not to derail my own thread, but I like to stir a bit of rosemary powder into hot chicken broth and sip on it. I saw a real good buy on a bulk one-pound bag, so I ordered one. Silly me, I did not realize how much volume a pound of rosemary powder would be. Looking like a marijuana dealer, I've been giving away baggies of the powdery green substance to people.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-12-2024 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

A lifetime supply for me may not be enough for someone else. I ordered from eBay, and got about 4 bars of Blu-tack. I spent about $5 for it, including shipping, IIRC. I'm sure it's more expensive now. A full bar of that stuff will mount a lot of pickups, unless you're Whit Smith. He uses a LOT of it, all over the place. I can't say anything bad about him, he's a great guitarist, but I don't use as much as he does.

A pound of rosemary would last me the rest of my life, and leave a substantial amount for my heirs. Who may not have any use for it.