The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently pick up a pair of Gibson GA-75 guitar amps. The amps don't work now but are complete. One is approx. a 1950 with a field coil 15" Jensen F15N, the other is approx. a 53 with a alnico P15N. Both speakers have been reconed. One amp is pretty much untouched and the other has had some work done. These are point to point with terminal strips. I am no professional tech so I bought both to have one as a sample as I repair the other. That is my excuse and I am sticking with it, besides my wife wanted me to buy both. Both amps are mostly complete and in good condition. I bought them from a local member I met the TDPRI forum, if he wants, he can identify himself. I have a schematic for the 53 but not one that covers the 50 with the field coil. I am in the process of compiling a list of components that need replacing and will buy doubles of all the parts. With much help from a friend who is a real amp technician, my neighbor who worked for the navy and repaired radar, radios and transmitters and the the guy I bought these from I am sure we can get both of these working. I will need some tools and plenty of patience but I have a lot of experience soldering all the way down circuit board level and know the safety precautions.
    I have a bunch of amps and never had an old Gibson amp. I have never even heard or played one of these so this is a pretty crazy step for me! These will be my oldest amps and I do like 15" speakers so I have plenty spares. I am sure I will be back here where I have learned so much, with questions and updates on my progress with will not be fast. I am excited to make time to work on these but I have a full summer booked already!
    Thanks ahead for your future comments and encouragement.
    Thanks JohnGibson GA-75 guitar amps-dscn7012-jpgGibson GA-75 guitar amps-dscn7013-jpgGibson GA-75 guitar amps-dscn7011-jpgGibson GA-75 guitar amps-dscn7010-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite Gibson amp, closely followed by the EH-185 and GA-50
    I used to gig w/these old Gibsons for years but they wouldn't cut in on the jobs I work these days.

User Info Menu

Dig this quote: " besides my wife wanted me to buy both."

I'm at a loss for words! Great wife, and great purchase.

Enjoy them all.