The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Was out shopping and while waiting in my car took a quick peek at Reverb to find this guitar at a super low price. Shot an offer over immediately and after a little haggling had this on its way to me. I've had it since Friday afternoon.

This is honestly a seriously nice guitar for what it is. Single-pickup, laminate 175 style guitar in natural/blonde. Perfectly simple, don't need any more, can't get by with less. I'm not sure if all Ibanez guitars are of this quality as I've never really owned an Ibanez archtop but I have been really impressed. The build quality is top-notch, no weird imperfections or anything like that - the instrument just feels sturdy without being overbuilt and I actually like the poly finish on it. On paper, the neck is a bit thin to my tastes. Just hair under .80" at the 1st and a hair over .90" at the 10th fret. In reality, I hardly notice when playing. I really should try not to be so particular on neck profiles because I get surprised all the time.

I think Ibanez (mostly) nailed the styling of this particular model. It is really quite an elegant looking instrument and it's much prettier in person. The inlays and the gold hardware give it some bling but in a subtle way. I did not love the 'modern' f-holes at first (never really have) but I see now that they are their own thing and aesthetically they have grown on me. The rosewood board is dark but with a nice coffee-brown look (that I personally prefer to ebony) and the abalone block inlays have a complex figuring to them I love looking at. Two things I did not love were the tune-o-matic bridge and cream-colored pickup ring so I replaced those with wood and black, respectively, and in my opinion the instrument is better for it.

Soundwise it is really great. I did not think it would be as acoustically lively as it is. I have owned an Eastman AR880CE Pisano for a while and this gets close, but of course with its own laminate character. I currently have this strung up with Thomastick '13s. The low notes are very thumpy and at no point have there been dead spots or anything like that. The instrument has a very woody character that is very pleasing. When I think of a laminate archtop sound, the sound this guitar makes is matches up with what is in my head. It just sounds right to me and I am surprised because I thought it would sound much brighter. I cannot comment on the electric sound as it does not have the original pickup and I am in the process of wiring it up to my tastes, probably with a Gibson '57 or something similar. I'm sure it will be excellent.

Buying blind I could have done a lot worse!

Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM35 - also, case recommendations?-20240310_103001_hdr-jpg Ibanez PM35 - also, case recommendations?-pm35-1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

*Apologies for the weird sidways pics above

The case this came with is OK build-wise but the lining is shedding off. It did its job of getting the guitar to me but I need a cheapo case to throw this thing in every now and then and am wondering if I could get some recommendations from anyone here? Would like to keep the budget at or under $100, new or used. Honestly probably mostly for closet storage or protection if moving. Hard case, not soft.

Will an acoustic case (like dreadnought or similar) fit? I've heard they might and that would broaden my search considerably. Guitar is 16" across and 2 3/4" deep at the rim.

User Info Menu

Ibanez in Japan builds a really exceptional guitar. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Great guitar! Exactly as you say, don’t need more, can’t get by with less. If my GB10 didn’t tick all my boxes then I’d have one of the PM models. Congrats on yours, enjoy!

User Info Menu

The best part about a guitar like this besides the usual is that it has only one pickup. I have no need or use for a bridge pickup. Good choice in a guitar play the frets off it.

User Info Menu

Nice score. It looks remarkably similar to my AF105-f custom, even down to the lovely inlays on the board and the little decorations on the bridge. If it is the same or better than mine, you've got a great guitar. I added a Zoller pickup and made a new pickguard ( because the original was soo ugly). Nothing else needs changing.

Hello from a close relative:

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Attachment 109569

Quote Originally Posted by Gladders
    Nice score. It looks remarkably similar to my AF105-f custom, even down to the lovely inlays on the board and the little decorations on the bridge. If it is the same or better than mine, you've got a great guitar. I added a Zoller pickup and made a new pickguard ( because the original was soo ugly). Nothing else needs changing.

Hello from a close relative:

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Attachment 109569
    I noticed that, too, when researching these models that many of the non-PM models sure look pretty dang close to this one. I think for the body Ibanez used the same basic templates/routes and made minor adjustments to make the 'PM' model. Makes sense to me for a manufacturer the size of Ibanez

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895

The case this came with is OK build-wise but the lining is shedding off. It did its job of getting the guitar to me but I need a cheapo case to throw this thing in every now and then and am wondering if I could get some recommendations from anyone here? Would like to keep the budget at or under $100, new or used. Honestly probably mostly for closet storage or protection if moving. Hard case, not soft.

Will an acoustic case (like dreadnought or similar) fit? I've heard they might and that would broaden my search considerably. Guitar is 16" across and 2 3/4" deep at the rim.
    Dreadnought won't really do it, ...maybe with a lot of filler to keep it from swimming around. Dreads are different shape and much deeper. Excess space is your worst enemy because the damage from the guitar moving around inside can be very destructive. Unfortunately TKL small jumbo, or Gator, although an excellent fit comes in over your budget.
    Check Ebay or somebody for a used one? Garage sale? Guitar store back room for something you can duct tape together?
    Check your local Craigslist. Sometimes there are people who have cases and use a gig bag so they can use the $$ from selling their cases. I've seen cheap cases and I know you just want it for occasional use but some of them are REALLY cheap. Don't make the mistake of thinking they'll protect your guitar and rely on it to do so. If you're going to get one, go for a TIGHT fit.
    For an archtop, that often means an arched case. They take a little more to build. That costs to build.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895

IME, dreadnought gig bags fit 16" archtops well, but hardshell cases can be a bit loose, especially a shallower depth archtop like yours. In a pinch, they work (and can work better if you add padding of some sort to keep a the guitar from moving around), but one designed for the archtop shape and depth is better. I don't use hardshell cases at all anymore (I think reinforced gig bags are better in every way), but among the ones I've encountered I think the molded Road Runner cases are the best bet in a less expensive one. I'm very much not a fan of plywood Lifton/TKL style cases for purposes of actually carrying and protecting a guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Dreadnought won't really do it, ...maybe with a lot of filler to keep it from swimming around. Dreads are different shape and much deeper. Excess space is your worst enemy because the damage from the guitar moving around inside can be very destructive. Unfortunately TKL small jumbo, or Gator, although an excellent fit comes in over your budget.
    Check Ebay or somebody for a used one? Garage sale? Guitar store back room for something you can duct tape together?
    Check your local Craigslist. Sometimes there are people who have cases and use a gig bag so they can use the $$ from selling their cases. I've seen cheap cases and I know you just want it for occasional use but some of them are REALLY cheap. Don't make the mistake of thinking they'll protect your guitar and rely on it to do so. If you're going to get one, go for a TIGHT fit.
    For an archtop, that often means an arched case. They take a little more to build. That costs to build.
    Good luck
    Thanks for that advice. Yeah are verifying what I've been thinking after research over the weekend. I've been looking at these dreadnought cases and it just feels strange buying a case for an instrument that isn't what I actually have. The idea for this PM35 originally that it would be a cheaper archtop to get by until I can get something better but in all honesty after playing it over the weekend I am really smitten by this instrument so will buy a reasonably mid-level case for it, I think.

Currently I'm looking at either the Ibanez AF100C case (verifying through Ibanez CS that this will fit. I bet it will) or a Crossrock ES-125 style case. I have a Crossrock for my classical guitar that I'm quite happy with.