The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I've never owned a Gibson. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but when an ES-175 turned up on the local Craigslist for an excellent price, I had to go take a look at it. It's a beautiful guitar and great condition, a 2005 that seems to have largely been a case queen for most of its life. And, as one would expect, very easy to get a nice tone for jazz (and probably for blues). Recently set up at Saint Paul Guitars by Ron and/or Michelle, it plays really really nicely. Oddly enough, it sounds just like a Gibson ES-175.

My wife's out of town on a flyfishing trip, she's probably going to be ticked when she gets home and find this thing sitting in the living room. It's a retirement present for myself, since my active career winds down at the end of the month. This is not actually the first Gibson in the house; she owns a 1906 Gibson A2 mandolin so she beat me to it by a couple of years!

Photos or it didn't happen:

My first Gibson-img_0028-jpg

sorry, lacking the technical skills to turn the photos the right way up.

My first Gibson-img_0029-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats Tim! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

congrats on the guitar but boy do I miss fly fishing. was heavily into it since I was about 10 but life and music gigs got in the way. a fly fishing wife, how cool! let me know if you ever get tired of her.....just kidding of course.
    enjoy the guitar and don't forget to catch and release, the fish, not the guitar......

User Info Menu

It has to happen: eventually, one loses his Gibson virginity. Oh my, looks like a mighty fine sample. Play it in good health. Happy retirement.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! It's been said many times but it's very hard to find a better jazz guitar than a Gibson ES 175. I especially like the ones with the Trapezoid tailpiece rather than the Zig Zag one. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    don't forget to catch and release, the fish, not the guitar......
    ...and not the wife

Congrats! That's a wonderful retirement present. I was lucky enough to snag a used 175 shortly after I started high school in 1960 (and even luckier to have enough gigs to afford it, although they weren't nearly so dear as they are now). I played it for over a decade at many hundreds of weddings, dive bars, parties, rock concerts, etc. I've never felt as close to any other instrument. I wish you the same joy I got from mine and the sense to keep it forever.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the guitar! Post a vid to make it "happen" even more
    This is one my fav 175 tones.

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

Very nice! Hngd!

User Info Menu

Tim I am surprised as long as you have been playing. What a great guitar and hopefully it will increase your playing time and performance. Great post !

User Info Menu

Congratulations!

I turned them up for you:

User Info Menu

That's just beautiful...congrats!

User Info Menu

Many congratulations and wishing you a wonderful retirement

User Info Menu

I wish I could find a deal like that on Craigslist...

Beautiful figure on that wood. My '88 is pretty plain figure wise, but I love her just the same. She sings so sweet...

User Info Menu

Congrats! One of the lookingest 175s there can be. And welcome to retirement! I've been retired since 2006 and haven't had a dull moment since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I've never owned a Gibson. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but when an ES-175 turned up on the local Craigslist for an excellent price, I had to go take a look at it. It's a beautiful guitar and great condition, a 2005 that seems to have largely been a case queen for most of its life. And, as one would expect, very easy to get a nice tone for jazz (and probably for blues). Recently set up at Saint Paul Guitars by Ron and/or Michelle, it plays really really nicely. Oddly enough, it sounds just like a Gibson ES-175.

My wife's out of town on a flyfishing trip, she's probably going to be ticked when she gets home and find this thing sitting in the living room. It's a retirement present for myself, since my active career winds down at the end of the month. This is not actually the first Gibson in the house; she owns a 1906 Gibson A2 mandolin so she beat me to it by a couple of years!

Photos or it didn't happen:

My first Gibson-img_0028-jpg

sorry, lacking the technical skills to turn the photos the right way up.

My first Gibson-img_0029-jpg
    Thats a riot, my wife of 50yrs is into deep sea fishing which is where she is now. I dont fish but Im at home playing the 175 she bought me for my birthday in 1976! Congratulations on your 175, the longer you own it the more youll love it.

User Info Menu

Congrats... very pretty ES 175. I acquired one late in the process as well. Have to admit I was surprised to find that this model really does do everything you need in an electric archtop. Seems like there's some secret sauce or something. And now think of the time you'll have to play it..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I wish I could find a deal like that on Craigslist...

Beautiful figure on that wood. My '88 is pretty plain figure wise, but I love her just the same. She sings so sweet...
    Yeah, the price was well below the average sale price on a reverb.com, not to mention it's a nice looking guitar. So that caught me eye, I made an appointment to go out to the seller's home to see it and brought my amp along. It instantly sounded great. My wife comes home this evening so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully she had a lot of fun fishing!

It is always interesting learning and adjusting to a new instrument. When I picked it up today, I thought I immediately had a tone I liked even better than when I was playing it yesterday before going to bed- even though all the knobs were set exactly the same. Psychoacoustics?

While the guitar is in excellent condition and doesn't have a mark on it, the locking mechanism on the case is broken. Clearly, somebody had priedthe hasp out, breaking off the little locking loop and bending the lock plate a little bit. For the time being, I've taken the hasp off the lid and will see about tracking down a replacement for it.

User Info Menu

C, that is a beautiful one!
    I am anxious to see how you feel about the 175 in a couple of months. I hope you love it.
    The 175 is the original, the standard, the benchmark.
    Enjoy it. That one is a babe.
    JD

User Info Menu

Not necessarily psycho-acoustics. I do cab testing all the time. Doing it late in the evening is not a good idea; they sound a lot better the following morning to rested ears. Sailors tacking in heavy winds know how irritation and stress creep in through unprotected ears.

User Info Menu

Good news! I introduced my wife to the new guitar last night and I'm not dead!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Not necessarily psycho-acoustics. I do cab testing all the time. Doing it late in the evening is not a good idea; they sound a lot better the following morning to rested ears. Sailors tacking in heavy winds know how irritation and stress creep in through unprotected ears.
    Well, that's interesting. I have never thought about one's ears being rested when comparing tone, although maybe it's really the brain being rested. That makes sense though.

User Info Menu

She just wants you to be happy C. Just happy.
    Not like, Citation happy. Just, happy..
    JD

User Info Menu

Very cool. I dig that dark burst...

The 175 is pretty much THE jazz guitar in my book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Good news! I introduced my wife to the new guitar last night and I'm not dead!
    great but more importantly, how was the fishing??