The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello everyone! I have two L5s, the L5 WES from 2007 and the L5 CES from 2014.I found that the panel of the L5 ces is thicker and the width of the piano is also wider.In terms of sound comparison, the sound of the L5 ces is thicker, more grainy, clear, very deep, and has a good mid-range sound. The l5 wes is like an acoustic guitar, the sound is very open and bright, and the resonance of wood is strong.The two sounds are completely different. I would like to ask if anyone has owned these two guitars? Is the difference in sound the same as mine?Gibson L-5 CES and Gibson L-5 Wes-429449554_376134581940250_5007112888198596406_n-jpgGibson L-5 CES and Gibson L-5 Wes-429451536_433668889093174_4682555973330189262_n-jpgGibson L-5 CES and Gibson L-5 Wes-429818089_810668657539029_4432577188473325485_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a coincidence. I have a burst Wes from 2007 (as well as a blonde wes and a blonde wes thinline) and had (sold) a 2014 blonde CES.

What you describe is consistent with my experience. The CES is darker, more midrange, less treble and more direct sounding. The wes is brighter, the transients are more acoustic (but still very electric due to the tunomatic and the relatively thick carve of the top). I prefer the brightness of the wes. It works for my style. But I think overall the CES is the more commonly preferred version. They're both great. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

(Shouldn't these be called "WE" and "CE" this time of year? )

User Info Menu

I have a 1996 L-5 WESMO and a 2003 L-5 CESN. While they are both electric guitars to be sure, the one pickup WESMO is way more acoustic and that does result in a slightly different sound (brighter and more "woody") and also results (in my experience) in a guitar that will feedback more at high volume.

User Info Menu

I have played a number of Wes L5's and they can vary in acoustic response. I find it interesting that the 2 PU ces has a darker sound but maybe that is the way to describe it. Generally I can hear the more acoustic sound of the Wes and to me it simply gives a more cutting sound but that just my description. The ces has what I simply call a basically real electric type of sound but obviously round and big.

I would like to know if anyone has played a Wes that actually was very acoustic sounding and could rival a real acoustic L5. My guess is probably not they are carved differently I am sure but I still going to ask. That for me would be the one to own. In any case the OP has on his hands 2 real specimens of jazz guitar and count your blessings because they might well outperform anything in the years to come.

User Info Menu

The OPs Wesmo is a beauty!
    Deacon, I have an L5P. If you or someone else would like to hear a comparison with a Wesmo, please send one to me! I'd love to do that. But we all know that the 2 are different animals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I would like to know if anyone has played a Wes that actually was very acoustic sounding and could rival a real acoustic L5. My guess is probably not they are carved differently I am sure but I still going to ask. That for me would be the one to own.
    I'm with you on that. I'm sure I would love the sound of such an instrument for quieter volume playing (I bet it would feed back quite a bit at higher volumes). I doubt that any of the modern Wesmos that Gibson has made have that type of acoustically optimized body carve. However, I remember not long ago someone on the forum was selling a vintage L7C with a factory installed humbucker. I wanted to buy it but it was an early 60s model and the neck measurements the seller shared were way to slim for my comfort.

User Info Menu

that Wes is adorable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    The OPs Wesmo is a beauty!
    Deacon, I have an L5P. If you or someone else would like to hear a comparison with a Wesmo, please send one to me! I'd love to do that. But we all know that the 2 are different animals.
    My 2 acoustic L5's a 2003 and 1938 are way beyond any built in one pickup guitar I have ever played of any make for acoustic output. That would be expected but I sure would like very acoustic sounding one pickup Wes. Even better a one pickup Super 400.

User Info Menu

I would be very interested to know if there are any differences in the carvings for the tops.

My hunch is that they are the same carve and that the added pup and what I call 'satellite braces’ + the extra horizontal bace bar in the CES, is what makes all the difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    I would be very interested to know if there are any differences in the carvings for the tops.

My hunch is that they are the same carve and that the added pup and what I call 'satellite braces’ + the extra horizontal bace bar in the CES, is what makes all the difference.
    i’m pretty sure the carve is different. I never measured it but my CES was way heavier than any of my three WES. The difference was substantially more than just the sum of the weight of the pick up and extra electronics. Other people have reported that even within the same model Gibson has had different top thickness. maybe someone else who has both can comment on measurements of the top thickness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    i’m pretty sure the carve is different. I never measured it but my CES was way heavier than any of my three WES. The difference was substantially more than just the sum of the weight of the pick up and extra electronics. Other people have reported that even within the same model Gibson has had different top thickness. maybe someone else who has both can comment on measurements of the top thickness.
    Unless one has two from roughly the same time period, it will be harder to tell.
    They claim the Wes is based on an L5 from a specific period (unless mistaken), but from a manufacturing perspective, it would be easier for them to use the same CAD, esspecially if they only have one L5 design on file.
    I’m not sure how much they changed the L5 carve, post 1980/1990’s. A subject I’m quite interested in.

User Info Menu

I’m afraid I don’t have an L5 ces for direct comparison, but certainly when I got my Wes I was surprised by how bright and acoustic guitar like it sounded (relatively speaking) compared to a L4 ces and a super 400 ces.

so much so that i raised the pick up height a couple of mm to get a more dark, compressed amplified sound